330 LMB 4619SA | Page 4 | FerrariChat

330 LMB 4619SA

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by shaughnessy, Aug 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Hagerty valuation currently allows for $34 million for condition one, which 4619SA would be from pictures of it on display, while the average value, for the 4 cars is estimated at $30 million... the value spread from Hagerty's perspective is not that much... 4619 should be original as built , not being raced is most likely the least molested with no damage history... while there is recorded history that the others have sustained race damage requiring rebuild and replacement...

nice change and possibly much higher at a future sale... :=)

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    btw... no need to be shy and use alledged... 4619SA is officially STOLEN

there is a active court order to pick up the car on sight and is listed in the NCIC computer as stolen... ( check for yourself )

the bigger mystery is why who ever has the car doesn't challenge the theft claim...

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The other three cars had short but prominent racing histories. They were driven at Le Mans, Sebring, Brands Hatch, and Bridgehampton. Beyond being cool old cars, they are pieces of motorsports history, 4725SA being the crown jewel of the bunch, with a 1st in class (and 5th OA) at Le Mans in '63. This is the car that can command GTO money. In my opinion, 4619SA, with it's road-going three-carb setup and lack of period race history, is not.

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    If a barn-find bog-standard 250 Cali can rake in more than $14 million, the $30 million mark does not seem unreasonable for a 330LMB, at least to me.

Onno

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    You have a point. :)

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #81 cheesey, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    one story that has been repeated, is that 4619 was at Le Mans as a test car and the first to break 300km on the straights... although not officially raced, could have some validity... would be interesting to pursue the validity of it happening... there is record of the car being there and used

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    The last 330LMB that sold, #4725SA, went for US$16 million back in 2012. So $30 million isn't out of the question......

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    :)

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, but if you think that only 4 were made...that makes them really rare and expensive.

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    was surprised to hear it went for that little, especially when compared to 250 GTO sales at the same time...$16 million appears to be a bargain purchase... it was a private sale, the true selling price may be unknown, as is the case in many private sales :=) The 330 LMB should, by virtue of only 4 examples and better performance from the 330 power should be more collectible. If the prices of the 250 GTO continue to advance, the 330 LMB still can be the better bargain if expressed as a percentage gain in value.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Hi, Onno.

I'm trying to PM you but your inbox is full.

Jack

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    In general, the GTO will always be worth considerably more than the LMB due to the following factors:

1. Iconic status. Much-hyped and immediately recognizable by car enthusiasts everywhere.

2. More aggressive (and arguably more attractive) styling.

3. Far more prevalent use in period motorsports. For people who were following motorsports in the early 1960s, the 250 GTO was to Ferrari what the T-35 was to Bugatti in the 1920s.

Rarity is important, but it's not certainly not everything. And in this game, original horsepower output means very little.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    And I apologize for taking this thread off-track into a discussion of value instead of a discussion of the alleged theft of 4619SA. No more comments on LMB values from me. :)

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Perma-ban!

:)

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Philosophical question: is it fair/informative/whadewwa to rate it 1st IC (P3.0+) as it was beaten by two car running in P3.0...? Quite a few times I've seen it listed as 3rd IC too...

Largely irrelevant as finishing 5th OA is a great achievement for any car, greater than a class win.

16. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    ok, back to the theft of 4619 SA... lets speculate about:

who would be suspect to having control / current possession of 4619 SA...

what are the thoughts about where 4619 SA may be hidden...

is 4619 SA still in the US or has it been smuggled out of the country...

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Somewhere here I've written about my brief encounter with this car. Of all the cars I've driven, this was one of the sweetest, maybe THE sweetest. It went from my hands to the infamous Don Fong, so I'm willing to believe that it was somehow "stolen." Wish I had something to offer now.

18. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the article that is the basis of this thread uses several of your photos that you have posted previously when contributing info here about 4619 SA... thanks for taking them

19. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yes, but I don't recall giving Wally permission...

20. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    if that site is a commercial / for profit site... you should be expecting an honorarium for the photo use :=)

21. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    The sale was thru Talacrest to an unknown by me European owner that painted the car yellow. I believe either Marcel Massini or Doug Nye was involved in the transaction...... A great car that should be worth more but the market always speaks and is always right.

22. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Mr. Samsung/ Korea?/ Korea?

He had/ has a stellar collection of cars including a Auto Union GP and a Bugatti Royale although it has always been very muddy as to the ownership between him & Blackhawk and they may have been sold to third parties......... The Auto Union is supposed to be owned but kept in storage in Germany but again it could all be horse. Some expert will know and will hopefully let us plebs know :)

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sorry a 330LMB is as ugly as. The laughable rear wheel clearance or cooling hack. A bog standard Lusso is better looking IMO.

In Ferrari's racing history they are a mere spec of minor interest compared to the companies other achievements, therefore only a few would be remotely interested in owning one, no matter how rare or fast.

Even the 64' GTO is better looking, but the 62' is automotive art.
    Pete

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #99 Jack-the-lad, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    As I said, the opinion of beauty is purely subjective. Including yours.

25. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Yes, no wonder because I haven't been able to sort out my subscription and I've been dropped from 200 allowed messages to 50. I've done a lot of deleting and you're good to go.

Onno