Fuse and bulb container contents? | FerrariChat

Fuse and bulb container contents?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Saabguy, Mar 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So, can anyone tell me what is supposed to be in the container?

Mine has a yellow top and there are:

2 areas for brake type bulbs

1 area for a signal bulb

1 area for a dash light bulb (?)

2 areas foe a cylindrical fuse?

1 area in the center for something (spark plug?)

Thanks!

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, the center area is for a spark plug.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    But only on US bulb containers; Euro cars do not have the "sealed beam" lights, so in that place in our bulb boxes is a spare bulb.

Rgds

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought spare plugs were kept in the jack bag. Anyone have a pic of the fitment of a spark plug in this container? US version.

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Or a pic of a full bulb and fuse box? And can't for the life of me figure out the two small areas that look like they are for cylindrical fuses. Just a carryover ?

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Again, speaking from an European perspective...
    There are two small "pockets" in the jack bag that are specifically designed for holding the two Champion A6CG spark plugs, in their cardboard boxes.

Rgds

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is how US cars were delivered too.

8. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Just for your reference, I've seen the green tops that say ROTOR, I've seen green tops that do not say ROTOR, I've seen gray, silver and yellow tops too. I guess it depended what was on the parts shelf at the time.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Exactly.

10. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Yes. Evidently they didnt bother redesigning the case for the 328 blade fuses. Euro 328s I have seen have foam inserts in the case and the parts stuffed into the foam rather crudely.

Not sure about US 328s.

11. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    #11 stonker, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Those small round holders are really handy if you've converted to Birdman's fuse boxes as the spare glass fuses fit perfectly!!!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok Brian,

what does the concours guide say?

I looked in the owners manual only to find item under heading B, - Set of fuses, - set of bulbs, -sparking plugs no picture or notation that these items were in the case, on the trunk floor, or in the bag (Mine has pockets adjacent to the bulb holder pocket for "sparking plugs" )

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #13 Rifledriver, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Spark plugs (plural) go in the jack kit. They were delivered that way from the factory.
    If you look at the parts book under "Tool kit" it is shown.

The fuse and bulb holder, oddly enough holds only fuses and bulbs. I don't have one laying around to say exactly which fuses and bulbs but then again I don't think anyone cares. If all the spaces are full of fuses and bulbs applicable to your car, that is enough for concours purposes. If a judge suggests he knows exactly which fuses and bulbs are correct and anything else is worthy of deduction please give us that persons name, that is the type of crap we are trying to stop. It is like the guy I knew who insisted the black rubber valve stem caps had a correct manufacturer and all others were wrong.

You have to understand, the IAC/PFA is specifically trying to get away from inconsequential minutiae that makes no difference to anyone other than to show off how smart they are.

If I remember I will look at both our TR and 328 tonight. Both have untouched fuse and bulb holders.

14. docbell

docbell Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Wsee the bulb and fuse box only for the 308's or for the 328's also?

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If I remember correctly the TR, 328, F40 and Mondial 3.2 were the last cars to have them. TR512, Mondial t and 348 had the leather tool box with that function incorporated into it.

I know it goes back to the 330's and possibly earlier.

16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #16 Saabguy, Apr 1, 2015
    I would appreciate the pic.. I don't' have a parts book so am at a bit of a disadvantage as the Owner's Manual only has a cursory remark. The thing that bugs me is that the fuse holders are for older cylindrical fuses and my 328 uses blade type fuses. The bulbs are all there and make sense.

Thanks for taking the time.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You will be waiting a long time for a picture. Management won't let me post them.

18. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #18 andyww, Apr 1, 2015
    Thats normal as I mentioned above. The blade fuses are simply pushed into foam. The foam would likely have turned to dust over the years and disappeared.

The parts lists are readily available from the Ferrari docs site (dont have the link atm) or online at Ferrariparts.co.uk or Eurospares.co.uk but likely not much help in this particular area.

19. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #19 red3555gtb, Apr 1, 2015
    Here you go, from my 1989 GTB ( Swiss Spec ) and yes the foam does turn into dust ( fuse & bulb holder on right side).....both fuse and bulb holder seem to be correct for the 328.

27811 likes this.
  20. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Ooh the one on the left has proper holders for the blade fuses. Never seen that.

21. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
  22. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What bulb is that in the center? That's what is missing from mine. I didn't think a spark plug belonged in there.

23. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, the pic on the left with the blade fuses just has them shoved into the foam if I am correct and the big bulb in the center was for eCode lights that didn't make it to the US (At least on any SAABs of the same era).

So get some foam, cut it to size and stop bothering everyone right? ;-)

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have 2 unmolested bulb holders. One grey one and one green and black. One from a 90 and one from an 88, both US cars.

I have seen the holders that can hold ATO type fuses but neither of mine are like that.

Both have the grey foam. Both have 2 1156 tail light bulbs, 2 parking light bulbs, 1 side marker bulb, 1 instrument light bulb and 3 fuses.

Like I said exact contents are not critical for shows and we know the various colors and styles of plastic holders was random.

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This is the bulb we have on our euro cars (Main/Dipped), usually H4.
    You don't have those on American-market 3x8s because these have sealed beam lighting.

Rgds