massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris | Page 10 | FerrariChat

massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VisualHomage, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    If you read through the thread, you will find:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141951641-post89.html

As well as this later correction/clarification to the original claim of a "massive" Ferrari heist:

2. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Indeed. Wasn't it part of the story that Manson went to the Cielo Drive address looking for Melcher only to be told he didn't live there any longer? Further, that Sharon Tate had actually seen Manson on that occasion, although had not spoken with him?

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I grew weary of reading through all these vague innuendos regarding the "massive heist" of Ferraris in Moreno Valley,CA, near Riverside and the other day I wrote the Police Chief of Moreno Valley to ask him if I can look at the John Andrews file.

He wrote back today. to whit:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Good morning ,

Do you have anything more specific than that? I would need more than a name to research the event you are referring to. An approximate date of the incident, address of occurrence, etc…would be very helpful.

Joel Ontiveros│Chief of Police
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    So in the interest of clearing the air on this matter I'm hereby issuing a challenge to those who keep alleging these thefts took place. If you want justice to be served, first we need the police report. Thus
    I need the address and the approximate dates to give the chief. I will make the report available if he has one to give me. If, armed with the address of the theft and the dates , he can't find any police report was ever made regarding the theft of valuable cars, including Ferraris, , I am inclined to think this is all LaLaland stuff as in "what were you smoking?"

Sorry to be so hard-line but you can only waste so much time alleging this and that before you stop and ask: "What do the police say about this?"

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Wally, I'm surprised by your cavalier attitude about this tragic event. As you know, I sold John the 275GTB which was the most valuable item taken. I have known John for many, many years.

For many reasons, including John's hoarding instincts, his trashing of his property, a previous run-in with the authorities, and the improbability of someone who lives in such squalor having multi-million dollar cars, the police refused to take him seriously. That doesn't make this sad tale untrue; it just makes it all the sadder.

John reported to me (BEFORE the car thefts) that vandals had entered his house and had taken all the pink slips, as well as other items.

John's property faced on two streets; it was very easy for vandals to enter from the "back street" and help themselves. In fact, the 6-carb set-up had been stolen sometime before the car thefts. The layout was such that neighbors would not be likely to notice anything. All the thieves had to do was to make sure that John was not at home.

We can say that he should have moved these cars, or secured them, or... But that's not the nature of hoarders.

Try a little empathy.

christc likes this.
  5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the blue 275 GTB that was taken from John's premises, was / is in litigation in the bay area, after the theft it was sold to a new owner, soon to be found by John with recovery action started... this info is old with no update on outcome

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    You know the kind that gets thrown out of place after place because it's filled with garbage, crawling things. So it wears at my patience with hoarders.

Still I was surprised the Police Chief had no recollection of the name Allen. He must be new on the job, coming on baord after the year(s) the crime happened.

Next I'll see if the local paper will let me look in their files though I'm afraid they might have cut themselves off from the public due to the fact nobody advertises in newspapers anymore.

This story seems very much like the hoarder who had his Ferrari stolen piece by piece out in the field, the car that Jacques Swaters had restored, hiding it under another serial number,Then the car was sold at auction and two families may still be fighting over it. Both guys were former engineer types, who might have been in command of the mechanicals but thought they could leave things out in the open and no one would swipe them. Today actually it's not so much car thieves you have to worry about but scrappesr who steal anything metal which they can sell for 30 cents a pound at the dump.

Anyhow if anyone has the year the car(s) were stolen I'll submit it and see if they have a file.

I even have that mentality in my own family. I asked my brother who bought a Chevy Nova in Detroit and moved to NYC what happened to that car? "I don't know," he said. "I think I left it parked on Lexington." Tat was 30 years ago. He never went back to look

7. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    F life has what may be the first posting on the internet 12.08.2012 search John Andrews theft... there is a video interview with John in that post that may give more info

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Apparently you haven't actually looked at this thread, have you? :)

The first post in this thread (12.06.2012) came first and includes the same video interview.

9. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    bump