Is the 458 the last naturally aspirated mid-engine Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Is the 458 the last naturally aspirated mid-engine Ferrari?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MM3.9GT3, Apr 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MM3.9GT3

MM3.9GT3 Karting

Of course, my question excludes limited edition models. If the answer is yes, why are 458 prices dropping so fast? I do understand that Ferrari produced a massive quantity of 458s, but it is the last naturally aspirated, high revving, mid-engine Ferrari. In addition, the car is beautiful.

This question is NOT an attempt to bash the 488.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you said it...they made too many of them. add to that they are quickly becoming yesterdays Ferrari tech marvel. the latest Ferrari tech tour de force is on the way!

maybe some day down the road, they will hit bottom and enjoy a bit of lift?

3. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In a galaxy far far away and a very long time ago say year 2000, only the 360 rule the planet in its segment. It sold well for slightly under $200k new without any competition in sight.

Fast forward to today when 458 sticker out the door for over $300k+ and unlimited alternatives in the market place like mclarens, lamborghinis, porsches, mercedes, audi, etc.

Hence with such a higher sticker price there is much more room to crash down and it no longer monopolize the segment, many other capable alternatives. It's a whole new landscape now.

4. ferraripete

good points chris.

5. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Turbos will be replaced by electric hybrid once the tech is perfected. Turbo is temporary. One cycle, maybe two. Future state is a N/A V8 with 500hp that meets emission requirements plus a 250hp electric motor for instant torque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. ferraripete

Ugh

Not sure of the aversion to turbocharging? What's wrong with efficient, big horsepower, wicked sounding, fire breathing sports cars?

7. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Most people are worried about the sound, not the performance, which will be awesome. I don't know what to think yet. I owned a 2014 911 Turbo, and the sound was very very disappointing, but the performance was awesome, but I only had it for a few months because it was lacking that something "special". I'm not saying the 911 is a lesser performance car, it's not, in fact it's a great car in just a different way, I just wanted the feel of a Ferrari. It will be interesting on how the new car is received.

8. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Spoke to a Cali t owner this weekend who previously drove a 2014 Cali. He said the turbo lag is imperceptible. The performance was markedly better but the sound was "kind of quiet" which he said was better for a DD anyway but left out some of the excitement. I have a 2014 Italia and just bought a 2015 911 turbo s. The turbo s is far better commuter car and 0-60 1/4 etc out performs the Italia but it is no question less "emotional"

I think a lot of "the sky is falling" people that talk about sales likely are basing it off of zero information. If you pull the Mannheim auction data for the 458 it's what anyone would expect. I suspect sales of used cars will be a little slow as everyone wants to see the 488 but the average Ferrari buyer won't get his or her hands on a 488 for at least 2 years without paying through the nose on used pricing. Once people see that folks will settle back into getting a 458. If you are truly in the market for a $200k sports car and have always wanted a Ferrari, you likely don't want to wait 2 years for it.

9. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    For the short-term, yes. The biggest issue with any turbo-charged engine is the lackluster exhaust note. I've owned a Porche Turbo Cab and 2 McLarens. Neither came close to reproducing the visceral, soul stirring engine note of a naturally aspirated Ferrari V8.

10. MM3.9GT3

MM3.9GT3 Karting

Thanks. I already own a 2013 458.

11. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    The sound, yes, but also the FEEL of 8500 RPM ... The visceral sense of speed and urgency ... The 911 GT3 is technically inferior to the turbo but it's not even a contest in terms of which supplies the greatest thrill. I have no aversion to turbo but if I can have NA and the instant torque from an electric motor, it's the best of both worlds. Imagine 250 or 300 pounds of torque at ZERO RPM ... Followed by a screaming natural V8!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I don't think anyone can tell if it's going to be the last or not. I feel very sure it is not. A lot can happen, and when you say last, for how long? Besides, why does the prices drop? The 488 is the hot new thing. There are purists who will not buy the 488 because it is turbocharged. But there are a lot of 458 owners who will, because it is faster, and it is the latest and greatest. On top of that, it is not a collector car by any means. It is produced in numbers way higher than 20k, excluding the Speciale and of course Speciale Aperte. It is not rare, and "anyone" who would want a 458 can have a used one. As far as it being a future classic, very hard to tell at this point, and even more so if it would be due to it being N/A. Like the 308, it will take a long time from now, before it could become a classic. And what will happen in the next 30-40 years? No one knows, so in the end, it might not be any more special at that point than any random 360 will be 15-20 years from now.

As for your initial question? Well, anyone would be a fool to try and answer that with 100% certainty. And the price drop? Market is changing, and the up and coming owners are growing up around turbos - and they like them. So while a lot of the ageing owners might not like a turbo, a lot of the new owners will, and they will see the 458 as being a lesser car.

13. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Too many models and too many cars are being produced. Last 15 years alone we've had around 25 new Ferrari's including variants...

It becoming generic consumer toys at this point...

Why doesn't someone invent a pavement that self heals or lasts decades in mint shape so we at least have somewhere to use these cars?

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Never say never...

Unless you're talking about a manual box.

15. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Or air cooled Porsches.