Maserati Khamsin | Page 229 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Graeme!

Yes, opened the chain (head was off) and after much going through the process in my head I now have the cams on with the sprockets, but without the vernier-plate and barrel. Thus the sprockets can rotate freely on the cams, so with the help of the hex on the end of the cam and locking them in the position of correct lift, I can put the vernier plates on, check which hole lines up, and mark it, take the plate off, insert the barrel and put the plate and nut back without breaking the chain again or taking the cams off.

This way the chain remains under the exact same tension before and after locking the sprockets on the cams, and only a single pass should yield the desired result.

Why the design doesn't have a smooth barrel and a washer under the nut, just like the chain-tensioner, will forever be a question in my head, except that it saves the weight of the washer.

Best,

Jack.

2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Fahrvergnügen !

3. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Will they return to the US?

4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Good questions AMLC... I know I asked the question some time ago about how
    many K's were left in the USA.. I suspect it is even less now. Pretty soon, I may be the only one!

Marc.. Any updated numbers?

Mike

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5706 Nembo1777, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Hello Mistralovitch:)! How are you?!

Yes you are the last Mohican fan of US bumpers and might just be the last K owner east of the Rockies though there is a doctor in Tennessee who has a white one and keeps to himself.
    A few in the northeast as well.

But there have to be at least 60 US K's in Europe now, at least. As you may recall last time you asked I had more than 50 of those confirmed in the EU in my files and it was a year ago or so.

However they don't all leave to the olde worlde: I sold 1228 from Toronto to the San Francisco area in November, it had completely the wrong exhaust and sounded like a Mustang but the new owner is going to sort it out properly. I sold 1024 ex Ohio and 1140 ex upstate New York to the same man in New York city this past summer so nice to see some staying in the US, a new trend.

Something different is coming up this weekend: the one on this page:

Auctions America - Fort Lauderdale

is coming up for auction in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow around 4.30 ish local time. It is the first time in at least 15 years possibly ever that a Euro spec 5 speed is offered at auction in the US. I am not involved I just got the auction company some information from Fabio Collina at the factory.
    It is AM120214, sold new in the UK, yes even though it is left hand drive, occasionally people there ordered and still order if allowed a left hand drive if they drive a lot in mainland Europe.

It has for years been owned by Norwegian shipping magnates. According to our Norwegian friends here they had tried to create a museum in Norway with all their cars to get around the 100% taxation but the Norwegian government said NEJ to that so they created a museum in the Cayman Islands -a convenient tax haven- which is now being dismantled or at least having a inventory reduction hence the cars in this auction. The car has therefore been sitting for a a few years but brilliant colors:)

The wooden dash is not original but I like it, 1286 has that as well, MIE did one like that years ago.

Regarding my main count I am now at info on 320 cars so another 10 and only the final 100 will be missing but those are always the hardest ones because many of them are likely to no longer exist or come out of the woodwork out of the blue like the two just recently at Gullwing Motorcars.

I hope someone in the US buys 214 but somehow can already hear the phone lines from this side of the pond buzzing...my bet: north of US$120K to a sun burnt northern European tourist but ready to be completely wrong...

All the best,

Marc

6. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Another nice car for sale in Europe for €199k. Interesting seat patterns!

LM Classiccars

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5708 Nembo1777, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Hiltsuk,

It is AM120US1058, this interior in Ostrich skin was done by a Connecticut shop in 2007, its owner Kevin Delia had to sell following the 2008 crisis, the car then went to Holland where it was sold by the Gallery Brummen, Italy, and has had several owners in Europe.

It is certainly unique. Apart of 1930's vehicles the only other car I saw with Ostrich skin was a custom order apple green 911 at the Porsche factory in 1992 with inverted Ostrich skin, bound for Tehran.

Best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Hammer $125,000 plus 10%.

10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Joe...

Do you by any chance know where the car ended up going?

Thanks...

Mike

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Joe,

Was in the middle of calling the auction office when I saw that and the lady I just spoke to added that the buyer was American so it is staying in the US. I think that is great, it will generate more attention for K's in a country where they are disappearing. Hopefully it was an end user.

Best regards,

Marc

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I remember that car. Saw it at Lime Rock. The then owner was quite satisfied with the custom work too. Ostrich skin isn't very comfortable to sit on.

13. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Jack.
    Sadly the process isn't that simple as the cams are micro adjustable to a 1/10 of thou. in lift.
    When you get everything basically assembled and the tensioner fitted you will find that even touching the nut with a spanner unloads the tension on the cam and it settle backwards. Yes its slow and tedious. Persevere as the result is well worth it. once this is done, you wont need to touch it again for a very long time, even after cam shim changes.
    All that can sometimes need a tweak is the carby balance and idle bleed and mixture.

14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Graeme,

Yes, I'm aware of the variables, and of course this must be done properly. It'd be easier with the engine out though, and even with the car on stands my back is protesting loudly!
    Also decided that witht the left exhaust off, I take the opportunity to stick a new clutch-plate in, seen that I'm halfway there anyway. Nice that the bell-housing is such an airy affair, you can actually feel the diaphragm of the pressure-plate, and it is not as flat as I'd like it to be, indicating a worn disk.

Best,

Jack.

15. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Jack
    While your in there is the grease nipple still in the end of the clutch release shaft. its the lowest part of the car. Mine was welded up. I left the weld and put ot on the hole where the pinch bolt went blocked up the other side and it till alows grease to the pivots.

Graeme

16. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Graeme,

You come up with little gems, I didn't check for it so I still owe you the answer to that one.

Best,

Jack.

17. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #5718 AMLC, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Drove #090 tonight, first time this year.

Didn't do anything spectacular, but it was fantastic. Even simple things like accelerating from 30 to 80 km/h in the wink of an eye, and hearing the sound of that very smooth V8, are a joy every time. Looking at a Khamsin is great, but driving it is too!

18. Otto Paulsen

Otto Paulsen Karting

Dec 9, 2009
    Europe
    The seller claims it is a fully original non-restored car with a late VIN in excellent condition and wants CHF 215k.
    If it is fully original then I wonder why the factory put the rear lights upside down..

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Otto,

That is 390 which was for sale for a number of years at Oldtimer Garage in Toffen Switzerland and later at Auto salon Singen in southern Germany, here is their 2008 email to me:

Hello Marc,

thank you for your inquiry. I have one Khamsin in stock at present.
    Vin Nr. is AM120390. The car is in a beautiful original condition and runs super.
    She has been a long time in a high class collection in Switzerland and is now
    in our showroom for sale. We ask netto Export for this car € 50.000,-. The papers we
    have say, that the car was first titled in 1993 March 1st. If you need some pictures, you
    will find them on the following link: (34 pics)

End of quote.

I inspected it there 5 years ago this month when coming back from Tecnoclassica, it is a Porsche place really and they did not know what to do with this "strange car" in fact at a time when nobody knew what a Khamsin was they had it stored miles away from the showroom.

The rear lights were the right way up in all the past photos I have and took.The question is whether it has been used or not. If it has not been used then expect some reawakening costs.

AMLC: good for you, many happy miles ahead for you I hope:)

Best regards,

Marc

20. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    #5721 achimguenther1, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update of restauration 1160:
    This week the car will be back on wheels, see pictures.

I made a reproduction of the Euro bumpers for a friend. I copied my original bumpers in GFK.
    I have 3 more.

I also made a reproduction of the plastic covers of the headrest adjusters in steel, powder coated. ( made for my Alfa Montreal, but Khamsin uses the same)

If anybody is interested, please contact me.

Best Regards
    Achim

21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Not that it matters at this point but just an FYI your steering wheel is on backwards as well.

22. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That depends on how you grip the wheel ... :p

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Wow !! This will be one of the nicest Khamsins anywhere.

Ivan

24. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Indeed, looks amazing. Keep the updates coming.