Barn find stories? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Barn find stories?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by atheyg, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    #351 GHG, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #352 donv, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    I'd love to know the back story of that car. Probably never know...

EDIT: It looks like there are at least two Gullwings in Cuba, and this is a quote about one of them (from a google search):

http://caristas.blogspot.com/2009/12/discovered-in-cuba-rare-mercedes-bird.html

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  4. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    A withe 356 is in cuba to

5. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Belive the name iof the calendar is cars from cuba

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I remember seeing print ads for the Peerless in Autosport and R & T back in the late 1950s I believe the chassis also was Triumph TR2 or 3.The fact that this is a left hand drive car would indicate that the U.S. Triumph chassis was used. It's nice to know there are a few of these still around.I believe the body was fiberglass? tongascrew

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  8. Lfpontes

Lfpontes Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    São Paulo
    Full Name:
    Luiz.
    there are 2 300 SL's that I know of, and a 300SL roadster that has been "restored" in Cuba (eg: they used Vw Beetle tailights)
    Also, i've seen on a documentary an early 356, possibly an A model.

9. tinpan

tinpan Rookie

Apr 14, 2014
    #359 tinpan, Mar 28, 2015
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Regarding post of
    07-09-2004, 01:52 PM
    J.McDonald

Hey, this post is only a decade after your comment but I have to ask:
    Did Sydorick ever say what was paid for the Zagato?
    I think I saw the car at Sal DiNatali's shop once but only thought it unusual, not particularly valuable and even then it was don't approach the car because he was planning on salting it away for his retirement.
    I think the lesson learned here is: ask every mechanic who works on exotics if by chance he has one he "put away" for himself. In this case the answer was "yes"

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great thread! I think the Gullwing photo in post 351 is not staged, it just has the "Lambo door" mod installed (very popular on Honda's, Mitsubishi's, and 300 SL's) :)

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The door is the least of its issues.
    ;)

13. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Hi Tinpam,
    I'm very pleased to the see this Facel Vega come back to light. Your father's car was already registred at the Club in the 90' but no one saw it. This Facel II chassis B157 was sold new in Belgium in 1963 via Beherman. It is still in original configuration. Black / Gregio Glacé roof and beige leather.
    Regards
    Charles

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #364 INTMD8, Apr 8, 2015
    A bit out of place I suppose but there's been a few other non Ferrari vehicles in here.

2 years ago someone posted this up on the Cadillac forum for a friend. Asking price, $16,500. I immediately contacted him and said I would be there the next day with a truck trailer and cash but had little other info.

When I arrived I learned that it was being sold by the son of the original owner. It had been sitting in the same garage behind their house since 1978, when his father passed away.

Engine seized, very dirty, horrible 70's repaint, dents, but nearly zero rust.

I cleaned it up, rebuilt engine/trans/brakes and have been driving it ever since. Great car and everything works. Didn't even need any fuses or bulbs :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Camp Freddie likes this.
  15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    My 10 year old is on the autism spectrum, and one of his superpowers is that he can identify nearly every model & year of Cadillac back to about 1941. He will go nuts when I show him these and that we "know" someone w/ a '59. . . . . nice work!

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #366 INTMD8, Apr 8, 2015
    Very cool! And thanks. My gf is a teacher that works with autistic kids. Amazing what some of them can do. (photographic memories and such).

Ok, a challenge for him then. Less well known and missing parts. My storage unit find :)

17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Long ago I met Paul O'Shea when he was with a race driving school, and had known he raced a 300SL but I didn't think of asking him what happened to his two open roadsters which were called 300SLS (not 300SL) and brought by his partner George Tilp to race in the US in '57. They had a side exhaust on one side, a special scoop near the windshield, maybe to ventilate the interior, a boot over the passenger seat, and a 300SLR type headrest. Some pictures I have seen, they had knock offs, other pictures lug-nut attached rims.
    I believe Mercedes hoped to enter them as "ringers" in the production car category but entered the first one and it was discovered it had an alloy body (previously only offered on 29 gullwing coupes) so it was put into the prototype class, but O'Shea won the Championship anyway. At some point the first car was smashed and sent for repair to Tilp's shop but only a week later an identical one shows up, looking brand new, so then it was known there were two. At the end of the season what became of them is unclear. One source somewhere says they were sold, one for $5,000, the other for around $7,000. But the Gullwing Group and other Mercedes 300SL clubs say nobody has ever reported owning them. My theory is that the frames and/or body was made of magnesium and after what happened in '55 (the magnesium bodied 300SLR going into the crowd at LeMans) it would have been bad PR if Mercedes was known to be fielding magnesium bodied cars in American racing. Another theory is that they were sent back to Studebaker in South Bend and when Studebaker moved to Canada, maybe got left behind? I have researched another 300SLS restored by a West Coast shop but that appears to be another one. My theory is that if either of the O'Shea cars is found, it would be worth a million dollars unrestored.

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #368 El Wayne, Sep 11, 2016
    Paul O'Shea, SCCA National Montgomery, August 18, 1957:

19. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    That Alvis was my Fathers car. I am shocked to see how it has deteriorated. No comment on the colour scheme! I still carry a massive scar on the back of my head from when it fell on me when I was 14. Any idea what has happened to it since please?

20. Priley

Priley Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Pete Riley
    We had Fiat Dino a few pages ago, mine (#1042) was pulled from a barn somewhere in the US about ten years ago. Engine had spun a crank bearing and the transmission tunnel had been cutaway to receive an auto box (!) a project fortunately never completed. Minimal interior, no dash etc. It was shipped to the UK and I bought it from the owner who had too many projects on the go. Restoration took around six years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari 308 GTB and peterp like this.
  21. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    That Alvis was my fathers car. Any idea what state it is in or where it is now please?

22. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008

Alloy 275 and Cobra recently unearthed ^

WJHMH, 375+, miurasv and 1 other person like this.
  23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Very nice alloy 275!!! Great catch!

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    just watched this in my hagerty email. I don't even know what to say. The excitement to find a 275 and a Cobra , I would faint , and Retire

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Crazy! They are still out there waiting to be discovered.