What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE | FerrariChat

What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by SCKOMS, Apr 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I recently got a speeding ticket and learned that the laws in Illinois had changed in January of 2014. I was not aware of the change until the cop who pulled me over and ticketed me laid it out. Maybe some of you already knew this, but in case you didn't, here is a summary of the changes:

Prior to Jan 2014, if you were speeding up to 40 mph over the limit, it was a traffic offense, and you were eligible for supervision. Speeding more than 40 mph was a Class A misdemeanor, required a court appearance and was potentially punishable by jail time, though realistically, you got a lawyer, went to court, paid a fine and court costs plus attorney fees, got it knocked down to a simple speeding ticket and got supervision anyway, assuming you were not a habitual offender.

As of January 2014, though speeding more than 25 mph over the limit is a Class B misdemeanor (newly created) and a Class A misdemeanor is now speeding 35 mph or more over the limit. Both now REQUIRE a court appearance, which means you have to hire an attorney, pay fines and court costs, etc. Technically you can get up to 6 months in jail and up to a $1500 fine for going 81 mph on a 55 mph expressway or tollway, and up to 12 months in jail and a $2500 fine for going 90 mph. From a practical point of view, assuming you are not a habitual offender, getting clocked doing 81 will be expensive!!

So I went to court today. There was a young lady called first who was ticketed for going 29 mph over the limit. She did not have a lawyer. The judge basically told her (and I am paraphrasing) "I am giving you a new court date to give you time to hire an attorney. If you come back without an attorney, I coould sentence you to jail time and a $1500 fine". She was visibly shaken. WHAT A RACKET!

In my case, (I, of course, had an attorney) the cop and prosecutor agreed to drop it to 20 mph over the limit (last time I had a ticket was more than 4 years ago...I don't know if they checked, probably not) making it a simple traffic offense, eligible for supervision. All done matter of factly, no questions, zip-zip in and out. I paid a $200 fine and $231 in court costs. I haven't gotten the attorney's bill yet, but I expect it will be around $150. An expensive lesson, but also stressful to think that there was a possibility I could have had a misdemeanor conviction on my record.

Soooooo...be careful out there! I now try to keep it under 80 as cars zip by me on my left!

goezfaster likes this.
  2. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hmmm...Thanks for the information.

dgalovich likes this.
  3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Going 85 is merely keeping up with traffic...

You found an attorney that would goto court for an appearance for $150?! That sounds about $500 cheaper than I would expect...

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Wow!

Texas can't pull out of the Union fast enough . . .

LI2782 likes this.
  5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Illinois is brutal, impossible to enjoy a performance car here anymore.
    Even regular commuting is stressful, you never know when they would pull you over, even when you go with the flow of the traffic.
    On I-294, traffic flows at 70-80 mph usually, cops know it and they pick and choose at their whim, usually high perf. cars, most visible in particular (Red Ferrari anyone?).
    Speeding here, according to my attorney (40 years in business), is now treated worse then DUI, battery, domestic abuse and gangbangers in particular.
    I hate, hate living here, doing all I can to get the hell out of this God forsaken snake pit.

6. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    #6 mobiledev22, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Yes!

The other day I got pulled over in Lake County, IL for going 52 in a 40! $140 ticket. If I get another ticket my license may get suspended!

Moral of the story is do not speed anywhere in Illinois (I know I sound cliche). The only exception would be the City of Chicago itself. Cops there don't seem to care at all for traffic violations (the cameras do though). Lake Shore Drive is fun for sure :)

I hate driving anywhere outside of Chicago.. the cops are too brutal with traffic violations whenever you're driving an exotic. They always find a reason to pull you over...

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Speeding 40 MPH or more over the limit raises two important issues:

It is a criminal offense with a possible jail sentence and criminal record.
    It still counts on your driver’s abstract.

The outcome of a court case for aggravated speeding depends on the judge and local practices. Some judges regard these offenses as very serious and, although jail is not likely, they may impose community service. If your driver’s record is poor, then jail is actually a possibility.

A conviction for this offense will result in a very high assignment of points to your license. A high point total can result in not just a driver’s license suspension, but also a revocation for one year which will require your appearance at a Secretary of State formal hearing in order to be reinstated.

8. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What a nightmare. I find myself puttering in the right lane while traffic zips past me.

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Actually going 26 over is a criminal offense now! A Class B misdemeanor. What used to be criminal at 40 over (Class A) now kicks in at 35 over.

10. DFexotic

DFexotic Formula Junior

May 5, 2012
    Chicago/Indiana
    Wow I just realized how easy I got off. I got clocked at 24 over but the officer was cool enough to knock it down to 20 over. I came close to having an expensive issue.

11. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I'm guessing this is how much it will cost. they are there with multiple traffic citation clients...we shall see!

12. RockinIt

RockinIt Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    I guess this is there new way to balance the budget. Thank you for posting this info, it sounds like a headache I do not need. Haha

13. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    In addition, this was 4 years ago, I was clocked at 22 over and the officer said at 20 over he had to take my license. Once i paid the fine by mail, I would get my license back. Not sure if that is still in play.

I do think that at over 100 mph is a mandatory trip to jail.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    105 in my case, on 294 late Sunday in perfect weather and no traffic.
    6 months, 6 court appearances, looking for a prosecutor willing to not put me in jail.
    Ended with Class A Misdemeanor suspended conviction for 2 years, $2k fine and understanding that any speeding during suspension would put me in jail automatically for a year.
    I could go and kill someone and the chances of getting out Scott free would be higher (with good attorney).

15. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    The cop who ticketed me told me that at 90 (in a 55 zone, so 35 over) it is now an arrestable offense, though I think they can use discretion. If you're driving recklessly and speeding, I think they will cuff you.

I think the ISP will take your license in lieu of bond on any ticket. You can also go to the station with them and post a cash bond. The cop in Highland Park had me sign a personal recognizance bond.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Democrats.

17. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Holy crap! When I think of how fast I have gone in some areas in the past, I get a chill up my spine. I always tell my kids to be careful, that one bad decision or one lapse in judgement could erase years of hard work. I guess it's time to follow my own advice.

You are right, speeding is no longer a nuisance issue in this state!

18. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    Wow! Omg! I don't think I will be speeding outside of Chicago anytime soon! That's totally absurd. How do you manage to drive nowadays? Constantly aware of your speed?

When I was in Florida I got caught doing 92mph in a 35mph zone and the cop just gave me a $340 ticket. I would much rather pay the ticket than go through what you did. Thank God it was in Florida!!!

19. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Texas?!? Μπερδεύτηκες παιδί μου? We are in Illinois.

20. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    It's a joke some of the speed limits in Crook County. I'm fine with the harsher penalties but the speed limits need to go up accordingly. Mark is right, I average 70-80 and it is effectively the flow of traffic.

Fortunately I haven't had a ticket on my record in years. I got one for doing 88 in a 65 on I-55 about an hour south of Chicago in 2013 but hired a local attorney down there and it got dismissed. I didn't even have to show up.. Prior to that maybe 2010/2011 and was supervision.

21. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    That's great, put a lady in jail at taxpayer's expense (Illinois IS wealthy, right?)because she drives too fast. OR hire one of the judge's old cronies to bargain it down with another of his cronies then pay outrageous court fees and a fine so they can buy new office furniture or something.
    Either way, not justice.
    Another member here had a great quote about bureaucrats, someone please post it again.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    When you come to realise that goverment views you as a crop to harvest, you will realise its time to vote with your feet and leave the state..

23. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Hey, $$$$ is one thing...points on a license another...

But did anybody else read the recent Jalopnik article about speeding in VA?

Guy got 3 days in jail...one day for every MPH over 90.

Amazing $$$ robbery by the state...esp on holiday winds.

24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I can see why Toyota left California for Texas, and I see more companies doing the same.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Democrat state gain.

Plus a large speeding industry. Any attempts there t raise limits or reduce penalties get shot down by vested interests.

The advent of the self drivign car is going to leave hundreds of thousands of parasites workign for states unemployed, the silver lining in the cloud.

If you criminalise poepel for living(driving) eventualy they become anti gov and this leads to genral anti gov behaviour and concurrent societal breakdown. If it simpossible to live withing the law, which laws if any are valid?

Speeding penalties are perhaps the greatest sigle cause of societal breakdown, its really that bad.