Why the 993 GT2 might be the next 250 GTO | FerrariChat

Why the 993 GT2 might be the next 250 GTO

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Loz997S, Apr 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    #1 Loz997S, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Sorry if this is a repost or old news, did a cursory search but 993, GT2, 250 and GTO return quite a few hits :)

I'd be interested in thoughts from those far more knowledgeable than me on these matters...

Opps, completely wrong area, duh..... sorry. Mods could someone move this to vintage please (if it's worth posting). Thanks.

Too funny, I'm nervous as heck posting in this section lol.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/why-porsche-993-gt2-might-next-ferrari-250-160007233.html

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nope, not even close. The McLaren F1 is in that position and won't be displaced by anything. At the end of the day, it's "another 993," which also happens to be my favorite gen of the 911. Nothing wrong with that, but the GTO and 993 don't go together imo.

This thread also would be better suited for the Porsche subforum to get more Pcar fans involved.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

I have no doubt the 993 GT2 will be a very high value car, but once things settle they should be below F40's and above 599 GTO's.

You're right on the Mclaren F1 going the way of 250 GTO, and despite 3x as many of them around are one of the few cars to probably get close to the 250 GTO numbers seeing it's history.

I love the Pagani Zonda, and whilst I think they will also rocket in value, they probably won't be more than half of the F1 values. It doesn't have the history etc. Though I much prefer it over the F1 (or any car, for that matter).

4. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    So while the GT2 is rare, it's still "just" a variant of a higher volume car. Makes sense.

5. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ha. gt2 is just a trick 993 turbo.

6. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Yep. The McLaren is already well on its way to the GTO's pricing.

7. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The 993 GT2 / RS will be closer to the 288 GTO and, even then, I think the 288 GTO will have more historical significance.

Full disclosure. I'm a huge Porsche fan in addition to Ferrari fan. I also happen to think the used car market is in a bubble (personal opinion). I do think F40 and 288GTO prices will be on an uptrend in the long-term, particularly the 288...

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I believe if we saw a same era GT-1 go up for auction, it would be in the same league as the F1 McLaren price wise.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  10. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Mclaren F1 is the next GTO and closely followed by Pagani Zonda variants.

11. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Far be it from me to predict in 'print' where valuations of ANYTHING might be headed, but since opinions are free:
    Yes, the McClaren F1 was a towering engineering accomplishment, and Gordon Murray is a giant among giants, and it WAS the last 'production' car to win LeMans outright. But it does not seem to me to share the same place in history as the GTO. The GTO seems unique as the pinnacle of the gentleman sportscar; owned and driven by ordinary mortals, yet campaigned broadly across the entire spectrum of racing both amateur and professional.
    That said, it is certainly a debatable point, whereas contrasts with the 993 GT2, (and I agree with the 288 GTO analogy) and certainly a Zonda are non-starters...

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think there will be a next GTO. Cars have to carry a boatload of charm and history, not to mention be associated with a marque that inspires passion and dedication, to reach the level where well-heeled individuals will gladly plunk down more money than most ever hope to make to own an example. The GTO is truly special, and I think it will remain without equal. Perhaps that's naive, but I don't care :)

13. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    The prices on GTO's are bidded up. There rea host of cars I'd rather have.....in all likelihood even more expensive if they aver went up for sale.

14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    When was the last time a Royale (no cheese) sold?

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'll join you on the limb. Too much history there.

I also don't see a Boxster Spyder ever being the next 550.