An example for F1 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

An example for F1 ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Apr 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Personally, I don't care much about the razzmatazz that happens before the start of a race. I have no interest in presentation, parade, etc... that tend to be repetitive anyhow.

If I attend a motor race, I would like to get to my seat at the last minutes before the start, probably during the warm up lap.

Unfortunately, that's hardly possible, so I have to endure the show they put on bfore with growing impatience.

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nor do I and I want to believe this is true for a lot of the "old timers".

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm putting it at about 90%...

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Figure is not absolute, it's more like a guideline :D.

5. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think you're way off. It's only about 17.65% when using this thread as a sample of the population... ;)

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    AMEN. Exactly how I think.

Get rid of ALL the BS and just get on with the race.
    Pete

7. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    You make it sound as if the race is being delayed somehow. The race starts at the same time regardless of what kind of show the organizers put on beforehand. If you're not interested in looking at pretty girls (who are obviously the victims of human trafficking and not doing this of their own free will, nor are they being paid handsomely...) then why not just sit there and play Angry Birds on your phone while the rest of us enjoy the show prior to the main event?

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why not put another race on instead of the BS?

Any car race is better than unnecessary razzmatazz that is demeaning to anybody with a brain cell. I mean who the fnck cares about the jet fly over, the driver parades, etc. we paid for the ticket to see racing!
    Pete

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Because it's not as simple as simply lining up a couple of cars and tell them to drive off. Cars need to be prepared, track needs to be prepared, race cars from the race previous need to back to the paddock and countless other things.

Take the planes away, the gridgirls etc and people are going to sit around exactly the same amount of time except now they really have nothing to look at anymore until the cars go.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Can I suggest you go to a well run club or historic meet.

When I was involved in New Zealand we used to feed the cars on to the grid for the next race just after the last car in the previous race finished. 1 warm up lap later and the racing was on again.

It is possible, you don't need to have empty track for minutes unless you have organisers that want to feel overly important, and like wasting time.
    Pete

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've been going to race tracks my entire life and used to be on one almost daily for years on end. 20-30 Minutes between sessions is normal (from session end to start of warm up lap). Most of the time there is an hour brake for lunch at some point during the day.

From the race before F1 to the actual warm up lap of F1 is about an hour. With most races this is when lunch is on for everyone but the F1 boys. F1 needs a bit more time than other sports for the simple reason because it's such a vast operation to get everything running smoothly.

Spectators are getting something to eat in this time as well.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not in NZ anymore. Yes when I was a kid we used to get bored out of our brains with these breaks, but in the classic racing arena (anyway) the next race would start within a few minutes.

I accept that F1 needs more time, considerable more time, but most of it is just postulating ...
    Pete

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It's all a bit like the halftime show at the super bowl, isn't it? It has nothing to do with the game and is done for the benefit of folks who have no interest in football.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I take your word for it that you did, but there are perhaps others in attendance who paid to see the racing and more. Goodwood Revival has plenty of racing and a lot more besides, and Lord March sells more tickets every year, it seems. And he still has grid girls. Oh, my!!

15. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #40 greg 19425, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    If/when the WEC have a prominent female driver to promote their series will she be banned from doing 'racey' photo shoots that play into gender stereotypes, of which many may be perceived to be outdated, in the same manner they believe grid girls are now or will they be complete hypocrites?

Both examples sexualize their racing series, both examples involve adults that are paid to pose in skimpy clothing and both have the opportunity to decline the work.

17. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't know, let's ask Danica Patrick! Seems to me that NASCAR has handled her pretty well. Maybe those rednecks are more sophisticated than some may think.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually you have made a good point here. A lot of the razzamatazz would be to wake up the not so keen spectators who are not as keen a racing fan as somebody like me.

Oh and we cannot use Goodwood Revival as an example because he is trying to recreate a 1950's or 60's scene.

Anyway I don't care that much about it other than being a parent of a daughter I've realised the sexism everywhere and guys grid girls are sexiest.
    Pete

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Have you been to Goodwood Revival? There may be a few people there who are just as "keen" as you......

And yes, they are the sexiest. Thanks for that!

:)

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oops, typo ... but a funny one :D
    Pete

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #46 DeSoto, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    I wouldn´t care if they were gone.

I think that pit babes are demodé, it´s so 70s. Also, when I´m watching F1, I want to see cars; if I wanted to see hot girls I´d be watching a silly Hollywood flick for teenagers.

22. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    unless you are a kardashian.....

23. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't care either way. I'm not a prude by any means but I really don't see the point of the chicks holding umbrellas. It doesn't interest me, nor does it bother me enough to take any serious stand. I can't see being offended... and I doubt most are until someone else told them they should be... but it's more like... "what's the point?"

And please do not bring Danica into this. For crying out loud. She's perfectly keen to do sexy photos for mags and what not... but then complains about being sexualized. That's so damn typical.

24. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Way too conservative estimate

25. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Well said!