Kentucky Derby | FerrariChat

Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Sports' started by joe sackey, Apr 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Look out Louisville here comes American Pharoah. The last time I saw as effusive a write-up about a Derby favorite, he won the Triple Crown.

American Pharoah makes statement

"Victor Espinoza tightened the reins and switched off the engines inside the sixteenth pole. As for his whip, the jockey should have left it back in California and brought a cigar instead. In a run-up-to-the Triple Crown season highlighted by several outstanding performances, this might have been the best: American Pharoah won Saturday's $1 million Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park as if the other horses in the race were superfluous, or, if not superfluous, then mere ornaments, here only to add some color to the performance.
    It was perfect preparation for the colt who Saturday proclaimed himself to be the horse to beat in Kentucky.
    And Espinoza never called on him, never asked for his best. As chilly as an oyster on the half-shell, Espinoza hardly moved. American Pharoah hardly ran. And yet he romped. Pricking his ears and looking for most of the race as if he were out for a gallop, he won by eight lengths. With his most recent stroll through the Ouachita Mountains, the champion juvenile of 2014 has won four consecutive stakes by a total of 22.25 lengths; but because he never has been pushed or fully extended nobody knows how good he is, and it's downright frightening to speculate how good this handsome colt might be. The depth of his talent remains largely unknown. But he's plenty good enough to be the favorite for the Kentucky Derby."

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    What a breeze yesterday..He really does look good Joe.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Which winner was that, Joe? Had to be a long time ago, since the world's been waiting for a Triple Crown champion since '77 IIRC....T

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The last TC winner was Affirmed with Steve Cauthen in 1978, but the write-up reminded me of the gushing sentiments bestowed upon Secretariat in 73. These sports-writers have seen 'em all, but when a special one comes along, they get a little sentimental. And this one is special.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I picked Orb in 13 and Chrome in 14, think I can make it 3-for-3?

Too easy this time.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Wow, Big Red! Let's hope so. My uncles were track denizens and I remember the excitement of Secretariat back in '72 - '73....T

7. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I went and watched a few American Pharaoh races. Wow, he sure can close!!

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    In horse racing, I only follow the TC. So it is a great time to start reading about the horses. Looking forward to watching him run. Thank you.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #9 joe sackey, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

And he's never been asked yet.

Not to get ahead of ourselves here because anything can happen on the 1st Saturday in May, but, its not about the times he posts or the margins he wins with, its about the WAY he does it.

He glides over the ground with an effortless stride which is 2 for other horses 3, so this means he runs super-efficient and has plenty left in the tank turning for home. Also, you'll notice along the back stretch he is listening to his rider the whole time, his ears flicking back-and-forth, the sign of a horse running comfortably within his means, waiting for the signal to go. This means he is likely a horse with tactical speed which he might need in that big field @ Churchill Downs. Also, look at the way he changes leads at the top of the stretch and goes to another gear, without the rider even asking him, the consummate racing professional. I mean, with most horses, the rider has to throw a couple of crosses to remind them to change leads. Lastly, the way he pricks his ears down the stretch says he is not even stressed and is having fun with this.

Freaky good. I think I'm caught up in the hype!

He should deliver on May 2, with Victor looking behind to see what happened to the other guys.

Unless his stable-mate Dortmund catches him...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Armen, with the Kentucky Derby and the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight the same day on May 2nd, needless to say its a red-letter day for me. I let my wife know I might be a little distracted :)

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    A Good day to be strapped to the couch from mid afternoon on...

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And I thought the Triple Crown gap from Citation (1948) to Secretariat (1973) was a long one.....

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What's perhaps even more impressive, is that about a dozen horses have won the KD and Preakness and come up short in Belmont.

Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was at Belmont Stakes when there was no TC on the line. And, it was loud! No baseball, football, etc. game I have been to was that loud. I can imagine what it must be like when the TC is on the line…T

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #14 joe sackey, Apr 14, 2015
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #15 joe sackey, Apr 14, 2015
    The Triple Crown is won by Freaks of Nature. I really believe its one of all of sports most difficult accomplishments, and its rarely won for a reason. Think of all the horses that have just fallen short, all Champions in their own right. All those on the list above that won the Derby & Preakness but failed in the Belmont were tired or injured prior or during the Belmont: Tim Tam, Northern Dancer, Majestic Prince, Canonero II, Spectacular Bid, Charismatic, Big Brown, I'll Have Another etc.

BTW, you have never heard loud crowd noise like Churchill Downs on Derby Day. 160,000 people singing My Old Kentucky Home is the intro, then by contrast when the horses load in the gate its so quiet you can almost here a pin drop. Then, the next 2 minutes is the loudest wave of sound you'll ever hear at any event anywhere, especially when the horses finally turn for home! It actually affects the horses because Churchill Downs is an old track and the stands are very close to the track itself.

Anyway, if anyone goes to the KD, I highly recommend watching the hoses work on Friday morning before the race followed by breakfast here Wagner's Restaurant (you'll be eating your eggs next to Messrs Baffert, Lukas & Pletcher), and lunch or dinner here jackfrys if you can get a reservation!

Meanwhile word is Dortmund (below) is one to watch, and he's won @ Churchill Downs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The problem in recent years seems to be horses that pass up the first two rounds and only race in the Belmont. Obviously being fresher, they've been winning most of the years. There have been suggestions that only horses that run in the Derby should be eligible for the Preakness and the Belmont.

And I'll still say that Secretariat's incredible Belmont is the greatest race ever I've ever seen run by a racehorse!

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'll go further. I think it's the greatest race that I've seen run by either man or beast. I'm searching my memory to think if I should up that to "…by man, beast or machine."…T

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed, I was 12 years old and following his TC run then.

Meanwhile: Battaglia Struggling to Decide Derby Favorite | BloodHorse.com

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This paints the picture, there's really nothing to say but watch the tape:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KvaeuIIsw[/ame]

20. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I'm thinking about going in 16 or 17. I've heard it's a good event to attend at least once.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's a hard ticket, but def on my bucket list. I went to Belmont Stakes and it was awesome. And, like Joe suggested, the KD is that squared!

Of the non-baseball sport moments I still vividly remember from my youth, Secretariat in the Belmont, ranks up there at the top. The "Miracle on Ice" might be the only other event from that era that is in the mix….T

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In 25 years together, perhaps the most fun trip my wife & I have ever made.

Surreal.

A piece of American history considering that it is the oldest sporting event run continuously since 1875.

Just seeing the Twin Spires in person for the first time gave me chills, thinking about all that has happened beneath them over all those years.

As Irwin S. Cobb famously humorously said: "Until you go to the Kentucky Derby ... you ain’t never been nowhere and you ain’t never seen nothin"

And as John Steinbeck famously said in 1956. "The Kentucky Derby, whatever it is—a race, an emotion, a turbulence, an explosion—is one of the most beautiful and violent and satisfying things I have ever experienced."

And they know how to throw a party in 'Loo-ah-ville'!

You have to go at least once.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I can imagine. Where you in the stands, Joe, or the infield with the crazies?
    T

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  25. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0