Double Dipping! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Double Dipping!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    A few "mistakes" here, a few "mistakes" there - more money while still maintaining low production numbers. I could cut off my thumb and still count on one hand the number of people in the world who have as many Ferrari serial numbers in their databases as me. And I'm holding steady at around 51% of total factory production since the company's inception - so there are still nearly 100,000 Ferraris that are unidentified. And who knows how many more that share identical serial numbers!

Your dry humor is throwing me off.

LOL, no - it was me and me alone who discovered the duplicity, and I struggled to get a picture of the F12 VIN before saying anything to anyone about why I wanted the photograph. I didn't make the connection until the California's VIN was e-mailed to me, also yesterday, by someone completely different, in a different country than the person who sent me the F12 VIN. No one had any idea why I was asking about anything; I made certain to secure all of the required photographs as irrefutable proof before I said anything to anyone.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    with this revelation, it's possible you only have a quarter of Ferrari VINs

:p

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #29 MarkPDX, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    This is pretty common place across the automotive industry. I don't think there are sinister forces at work here... I think at some point Ferrari just started doing what everyone else does.

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hahahahaha. White shotgun (the lupara was a shotgun used to control the wilds of Sicily by farmers and wardens, and later the Mafiosi protection guys), and meant they would shoot you and make you disappear forever...... A very old school Sicilian threat! Watch out man

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bret, I think Ferrari is the source of sinister forces in the automotive industry. They've been pulling all sorts of sneaky tricks since the company's inception. Whether or not this is commonplace with other manufacturers is, in my opinion, irrelevant. Comparatively, Ferrari is a limited production automotive manufacturer, and each serial number accounts for a single car as part of their annual production numbers. To use the same serial number more than once is deceitful to say the least.

Honestly, there is incredulity on my part concerning some of the responses in this thread. I've been saying, for years, that Ferrari has been fudging production numbers, lying about limited edition models' production numbers, building more cars than they claim, etc. At every instance, I have been urged to provide any kind of proof to back up the claims that my data supports. Well here is irrefutable proof in my first post! And few people see the forest for the trees, whilst everyone else wants to continue believing the myth, that their favorite car manufacturer would never lie to them, and is still way more exclusive than any other manufacturer.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Maybe people just don't care?

Mark

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ;)

I think the evidence would be far more damning if the vehicles in question were a LaFerrari and a Speciale, or other vehicles sold based on their exclusivity or being part of a limited run. but I do think it's important, I'm just not sure exactly how.

Carby, do you know the chassis/engine/assembly numbers for these two vehicles? do you see any similar anomalies there too, or has this just been the province of serial numbers?

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I think it would be far more important on a historically significant car, but otherwise, it just sounds like the worlds greatest "white people problem."

Mark

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, I'm starting to consider that possibility. No one gives a **** about serial numbers until they contact me about the history of their car and they find out it has an identical serial number twin somewhere else.

I just received the assembly number and MODIS printout of 186616 (the California) yesterday.

12. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    That's the thing... It is only the last six digits that are the same. Nobody is gonna confuse a white California with a red F12 either by sight or by full VIN.

This seems like a tempest in a teapot as all the VIN collectors who have only been tracking six digits suddenly discover their databases aren't quite as all knowing as they would like people to believe. In the first post you joked about Ferrari "disappearing" you and there is absolutely no reason for them to do so. They just start mixing things up a bit and rock your world without a shot being fired. For all you know they might have some folks feeding you bad information.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    But the serial numbers are still exactly the same. How is this not registering?!? You cannot have two Ferraris with the exact same serial number, irrespective of the model and/or VIN difference! If it's not such a big deal at all, show me another example where this has occurred, and/or the owners are fine with it?!?

I can't speak for others, but my database doesn't have just serial numbers - I have full VINs for as many Ferraris as possible. Maybe other database managers aren't as vigilant and thorough as me - not my problem - and no one is obsessive about documenting as much information about each car, while ensuring it's all complete and correct, as me. Before you click 'Submit Reply' on your next post, my database will have grown larger than it is now.

No one fed me any bad information. No one knew about this double dip until I discovered it and I posted it. No one alerted me or tipped me off, the discovery is mine and mine alone.

14. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I agree it is a bit disappointing that Ferrari has made some duplicate Serial Numbers on cars.

But, this is only the latest issue with them.

They don't keep their car model names unique either. Why did they re-use names like Mondial, Testarossa, California, GTO, Superamerica, etc?

And, they don't keep their car model number scheme consistent with the number of cc's in each cylinder (the old 250, 275, 330, 365, etc. names evolved into 512, 612, 430, 458, etc.).

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    These are issues of taste and preference and opinion. What I have presented is an issue of blatant and deliberate deception and dishonesty.

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    By the way, Mark, in between replying to e-mails, I have added two new Ferraris to my database since my last post (not your last post, my last post). Full VINs, too!

17. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Let's put an end to this silliness.

The last 6 digits of the VIN number are the same.

The last six digits is not the VIN number.

VIN numbers are 17 digits.

The VIN numbers are not the same.

VIN numbers are what matters and is the unique identifier of a vehicle.

18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    True, but it is part of the legend and folklore of Ferrari as a brand.

A Ferrari is not "just a car", but rather a rolling work of art.
    And like other works of art, such as prints, each one is given a unique serial number out of the series produced.

In the old days, the even numbered Serial Numbers were reserved for race cars and the odd numbers were road cars.
    Carbon, what year did they stop doing that?

If Ferrari starts re-using the same Serial Numbers, but keeps the VINs unique, then we become like every other car manufacturer. We start having VINs like Ford and Checy pick-up trucks do, that is, nothing special.

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The only silliness here is your inability to comprehend what I feel I have clearly and thoroughly presented. The fact that you don't understand makes me second-guess whether or not I could've been clearer and more thorough about the purpose, importance, uniqueness, and function of Ferrari serial numbers, as well as how they were incorporated into full VINs beginning in 1980.

Most of you who are refuting my presentation don't even know that your cars have assembly numbers, let alone where to find them if I asked to see them. So if your comprehension of the Ferrari VIN is so limited, how can you justify these refudiations?

Ron, Ferrari gave only-odd numbers to road cars from the company's inception all the way through the Fall of 1987 (with very few and rare "accidental" exceptions). In/around October, 1987, Ferrari stamped a white Testarossa with serial number 75000 - it was the first Ferrari road car to receive an even-numbered serial number.

In the interest of full disclosure, there was a completely separate serial number line for Dinos, and those numbers were all even numbers (except one). This line of even-numbered serial numbers was completely separate from the line of even-numbered serial numbers given to Ferrari racecars - which, of course, had nothing to do with the other completely separate line of serial numbers given to F1 cars, nor the other completely separate line of serial numbers given to 333 SPs, nor the other completely separate line of serial numbers given to GTC and GT2 and GT3 cars (i.e., 360 N-GT, 575 GTC, F430 GT2, 430 GTC, 458 GT3, etc.).

Just added another - last two were from Switzerland, this latest one is from Munich (with another full VIN). Oh, and I forgot to mention the one from Dubai when I woke up this morning. :)

20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Let me see if I understand. The VINs are unique and are the official governmental registration IDs.
    The serial numbers are internal numbers and are sometimes duplicated either accidentally (VINs that share the last string of digits) or intentionally to maintain an aura of exclusivity within models and of the brand itself.

I think that you'll have to go back and put together a list of assembly numbers as they are the ones no one pays attention to and are unlikely to be fudged. Shouldn't take you too long.

21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    IMO this is highly significant if Ferrari themselves use/portray the serial numbers as unique identifiers of the cars, and as a mean of quantifying production - as far as I understand it that has been the case historically, and is why Carbon raises the issue. The surface of VIN numbers came about as an extension to serial numbers to comply with various regional and/or national requirements to embed additional information into the numbering. As the world is getting "smaller" VINs across the globe are becoming (somewhat) homogenized, even by Ferrari :)

Anyway, I find Carbon's discovery fascinating, and let's be honest, it ads to the mystique of the brand :) ;)

I would be (more) shocked if you can find two cars for the same region with the same serial number. Not even sure that is allowed by US authorities for US destined cars... but I am also not sure if authorities actually check that...

As an off-spring, I would love to learn of my F-cars' long lost VIN-twins... :)

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The VINs are unique because of the serial numbers! The serial numbers are only one of a set of internal numbers, but they are also the only external number as they are an extension of the full VIN. For example, ZFFCW56A430134282 is a 2003 US-spec Enzo, and this car's serial number is 134282 - notice it's the last six digits of the VIN! With that serial number, the VIN would merely be ZFFCW56A430 - and that's an incomplete VIN that could never be registered at any DMV in the country, let alone in a majority of the rest of the world.

There are few things I haven't done to get a car's serial number - some of the statutes of limitations haven't expired on some my shenanigans. As hard as it's been to get many of the VINs (or, merely, serial numbers) that are in my database, it is even harder to get assembly numbers. The assembly numbering system that Ferrari uses is important, and it's relevant in its own right - but it is not relevant here. I will not be making a list of assembly numbers, nor will I be posting said list, because I'm not freely giving away information that's taken me a decade to collect, but also because it's completely irrelevant to the topic posted here.

Jes, check the right side of your dash for a small, rectangular matricola plate. Engraved into the bottom will be the serial number of your car. Then look at the plaque on the steering column behind the steering wheel and you'll see the full VIN - notice that the last six digits of that VIN exactly matches the six numbers engraved into the matricola plate on the right side of your dash. The serial number of your car is its unique identifier, and separates it from other cars of the same model that are exactly specced. But since serial numbers are unique identifiers throughout all Ferrari models - no two models, even if they're different, even if they're made for different countries - no two Ferraris of any kind can have identical serial numbers.

Ferrari is too savvy for that - it'd be too easy to get caught. Giving two cars of the same model the same serial number is too much of a risk. So giving two different models, from two different countries, the same serial number, it's nearly impossible to get caught ...but they didn't take into account my unrelenting diligence.

I've yet to come across another car that has the exact same serial number as your car. :)

Just made lunch and came back to my computer to find another one, this time from Illinois - full VIN. :)

23. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I've always enjoyed a good Telaio mystery, and been amused by Carbon's enthusiastic vin collecting, even thrown a couple his way over the years, but I have to agree with Mark about coming out of the closet about how far you'll go to get a vin... Discretion seems the better part of valor in this activity...

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I've admitted nothing, and no one can prove anything. Maybe I was just stretching the truth in my last statement for effect. :) I welcome lawsuits and restraining orders - restraining orders from what, for what reason(s)? Ferrari has no leg to stand on approaching me in this issue, nor my pursuit of recording and documenting every Ferrari ever made.

25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Carbon, keep up the good work. It's appreciated.