The Apple Watch thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Apple Watch thread

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by rkuo, Mar 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    The watch is going to be terrific. Not only does it look great...

You can use it for GPS when you're on your motorcycle.

You can check a text in a small plane.

You can use it for various fitness funcitons.

I'm probably not thinking of 1% of the uses. Apple products don't flop generally. I'm going to get an Apple Watch because my iphones were terrific, my macbooks were terrific, my ipads were terrific, and even the apple tv was terrific. For $399 for a basic model I'll take the risk that apple knows what they are doing ;)

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I finally found someone that is going to buy one, he owns an iPhone plus. He said he didn't like having to keep pulling the phone out of his pocket when he got a text, email, or alert and thinks it will be more convenient to just look at his wrist. That makes sense.

3. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    Put the apple name on a pile of sh*t and it will sell. I have no desire to buy this watch but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a game changer down the road.

4. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    Got my 42mm space gray sport for 4/24 to 5/8 delivery. The delivery dates started slipping 2-3 min after midnight. Crazy. Must be supply chain issues.

5. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    I went to check it out this morning.

I must say that it looks a lot better than I thought it would. The controls are smooth and have a good feel. The metal bands look decent. The magnetic clasps were a lot stronger than I thought. The tactic feedback has a great feel. It's more of a thump than a vibration.

I was taken back when the salesperson handed it to me. This thing doesn't have any significant weight even with the metal bracelet. It feels like a toy or a knockoff watch. It's about as heavy as a fake plastic watch you get in a Happy Meal. I don't understand how anyone willing to spend $20K (or even $1K) on a watch is going to get over how "unsubstantial" it feels. Also, when the screen is on for a significant amount of time it gets noticeably warm! For the price, I was expecting it to feel more like jewelry. It doesn't unfortunately.

In terms of the technology, I have a couple of concerns:
    1. Battery Life - it's tethered to your phone via Bluetooth. The watch may last almost a day but I know my phone with Bluetooth on is good for 8hrs at best. Since the watch doesn't offer much functionality without the phone, effectively it's only useful so long as your phone has a charge. Also, I think charging your watch everyday won't take long to get really annoying.
    2. Reliance on Siri - there is no keyboard. You need to use speech input. Everyone knows that Siri usually doesn't get most things perfect. There is no way to correct dictation on the watch so you have to cancel and dictate it over again and again until it does get it right. I don't know about you but this would frustrate me quickly and the device would meet its end via a high speed impact with a concrete wall.

Neat device but I don't get how this adds much value over and above using your smartphone. Until there are a few killer apps for the watch I think the sales response will fizzle quickly after the initial buzz dies down.

6. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    I'm quite optimistic about not having to take my phone out for certain things ... like watching a uber come near, or using maps. We'll see how it goes. The software feels half finished, with certain things like the animated emoji's created entirely for the purpose of a demo with no real use case.

I too was surprised by the stainless steel with link bracelet. It feels much less substantial than my other steel watches. I don't like it at all.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you really want one, why buy the first? Wait until at least the 3rd.

8. RockinIt

RockinIt Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    This seems to be the new apple way of half finished or buggy software.

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's what is most shocking to me about apple right now. They have their loyal fan base that is probably in the hundreds of millions or close to it, yet they seem to be rushing each new product to the market place.

Take another 2-6 months of QC research on both the front and back end. Their loyalist will gladly wait.

10. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It will be the first disposable watch sold. Think it will still work in 4-5 years? I doubt it as I look at my drawer of iPhone 3 & 4s, iPods and a couple of iPad 1s.

11. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    A limited lifespan is a risk for sure, however to use a counter example, look at a Macbook Pro which has over a 5 year lifespan for many users. I know people who are still using an iPhone 3gs. The Apple equipment lasts even if a most advanced version replaces it down the road.

What I believe will help the longevity of the Apple Watch will be that it is more of a display than a gadget and I've had displays last over ten years. The two points that I think save the watch are that:

1) It relies on the iPhone for processing as much as itself. Upgrade the iPhone and you upgrade the watch.

2) The size of a watch is likely to stay constant, maybe with a "Plus" version down the road, and the display DPI can't get much better.

Looks like deliveries for most people will be in June so I'll check back then.

12. remmy1001

remmy1001 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Canada
    My apple watch is showing delivery tomorrow. I must say i am very excited to try it out. I was able to play with one at a store and really liked the features of it. Don't get me wrong I am an avid watch collector and I don't think it will every be able to replace the style of a real mechanical watch, but the apple watch actually has some usefulness. I barely look at my wristwatches these days for the time but to be able to see my messages, weather etc. is going to be very cool

13. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    both mine are coming tomorrow. the 38mm was supposed to be june. Guess they had more than they thought.

14. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I'm curious to how one will fit in my life, and what it will do for me, so I'm open to trying one. Honestly, I see myself wearing it at the gym and work.

I ordered a 38mm Stainless Steel with a white sport band. It was the most comfortable next to the Milanese Loop.

Regardless, I'm still saving for my future Breitling, and I highly doubt the Apple Watch will make me second guess buying my Breitling. Time will tell though.

15. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    So far watch is really nice. It's going to be handy.

I have a feeling my nice mechanical watches will get less wrist time. Mostly because of the activity tracking.

16. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    I like mine so far. Nothing important to report yet. Most apps and "glances" seem barely functional with little reason to exist. I'm not sure what I want there yet, but whatever it is, it isn't this.

The watch faces are boring and incredibly limited. They need more of them. Way more.

The notifications will be handy. you need to spend time culling them down separately tho, which can be cumbersome. We'll see how i like that but I expect this to work well.

I am not an activity tracking kind of guy so unfortunately a huge part of this is lost on me.

17. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    You had a delivery estimate of June and received it on the very first shipping day? That's really interesting.

The queues at the Apple Store were extremely light on the preview day and they are still light right now. In fact I walked by my local Apple Store recently and the watch kiosks hardly had anyone browsing whereas the rest of the store is busy. I suspected there was a lot of spin on on early sales volumes with the instantaneous push back of delivery estimates to June. Your incredibly early delivery seems indicate that.

18. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I went in and bought another Mac Pro, the sales guy kept trying to get me to look at the watches. I did, while nice, I just wasn't inspired to buy one.

They may be perceived in the business world as more of a novelty item, but time will tell.

Me and my wife were talking about all of life's interruptions with phones, how will your mind react or be conditioned to responding to taps on your wrist?

19. RockinIt

RockinIt Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    It seems the reviews are saying its nice well designed and made but buggy software. Well another apple product you buy now in hopes it'll work later.

20. remmy1001

remmy1001 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Canada
    So after 2 weeks of playing around with my Apple Watch I returned it yesterday. Its a wonderful novelty but it is just that...a novelty.

21. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Neat feature: I texted a co worker with an apple watch as we were trying to hook up in Vegas. I texted four words no punctuation: "Inside escalator or outside”

When he received the text on his apple watch and clicked reply, it offered him among his predefined answers " inside escalator" and "outside"

That's pretty brilliant. It recognized "Or" as dividing my text into choices for the recipient, and made it painless & quick to choose one or the other in his reply.

22. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Part of me feels this ^^^ way.

IMO, it's missing something, yet I can't pinpoint what. There's just something to be said about a mechanical timepiece.

Mine arrived Thursday, and I was able to wear it yesterday. I'll see how it goes this weekend, especially when I'm able to get to the gym with it.

23. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    That's very cool. But not a watch specific feature? Don't predefined replys get offered on the phone too?

24. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
  25. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal