Help, 599 intermittent buzzing nose. What is it? | FerrariChat

Help, 599 intermittent buzzing nose. What is it?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Seaninhongkong, Apr 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1 Seaninhongkong, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hoping someone can help.

I have an intermittent buzzing noise coming from behind the driver instruments side. It sort of goes on and off.... and ONLY happens when I run the AC (which is always here in Hong Kong).

I took the car to the dealer and of course it magically was fine and they could not repeat the issue. And as you can then guess, the issue started happening again once I got a mile away after collecting my car.

I'm taking the car back again in a few days but in the mean time if anyone has ideas as to what this is I would be very appreciative.

I'm attempting to attache a short 3 second video (Quicktime Movie) here. In it you can hear the noise. It sounds like a drill/ pump or something rubbing... it starts at the 1 second mark, then stops and again at 2 seconds.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sean

PS- If there is a lot of response to my question, I'll be sure and post a follow up later after the dealer fixes it. Maybe a gentleman's wager too, for person(s) who identified it correctly...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gre727

gre727 Rookie

Nov 11, 2014
    Oh. USA
    Full Name:
    GRE
    #2 gre727, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sean,
    You might want to check the pollen filter fixing/cover (20 and 21 in the attached diagram.
    Buzzing noise drove me crazy till I found it. Part 21 slides over the tabs on 20. Seems might it might be vulnerable to an occasional errant foot. It will take about 10 seconds to fix, and six of those will be spent finding it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Gre727

Thanks I'll try it if I can find it... That is one heck of a diagram.

Sean

4. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    I do agree ... one heck of a diagram... but apparently within distance of your foot?
    LHD or RHD ?

5. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean
    RHD

Is that diagram in the engine bay or under the console on the inside???? Any idea where is that little box, part 21? Thanks!

6. gre727

gre727 Rookie

Nov 11, 2014
    Oh. USA
    Full Name:
    GRE
    Sorry,
    Don't know if there is a difference between LHD or RHD (probably). This is in the interior of the car, on LHD it would be above the passenger's footwell - under the glove box.
    When it happened on my car (LHD) it was difficult to tell where the buzzing noise was coming from, I think because the noise transmits through the climate ductwork. Being plastic parts, at first I didn't think it could be the cause. But it was. Not saying yours is the same source, but it's an easy fix if it is.

7. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean

Gre727. Thanks for your feedback. I found that part 20/21 you suspected and pointed out in the diagram. My car is RHD. That part is above the footwell in the passenger (left side) so not where it appears the noise is coming from. I will however, mention your suspicion when I drop the car at Ferrari on Friday. Again thanks for posting back. I'll update this thread with the results once it's solved. Cheers.

8. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean
    GrE727, BTW... Just looked at you profile. I like your tast and variety in cars. Cayman... to... 64 Jag... Nice depending on your mood. Well done!

9. gre727

gre727 Rookie

Nov 11, 2014
    Oh. USA
    Full Name:
    GRE
    Thanks...if I had more resources....