Going to Maranello, Any Tips or Advice? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Going to Maranello, Any Tips or Advice?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Nottolini, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nottolini

Nottolini Rookie

Apr 19, 2015
    Thanks. Dinner will probably be in Bologna, so lunch at Cavallino it is.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    we took the bus from modena to the factory... make sure you have a ticket for the ride back...

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Something tells me there's a story in there......:)

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    bus driver thought we were idiots... let us ride for free......

if you walk around the outskirts of the factory there are all sorts of shops... i guess indy shops.. one had a 288 GTO in view...

i'd find a local to give a tour of the "off the radar" stuff next time.

5. Nottolini

Nottolini Rookie

Apr 19, 2015
    #30 Nottolini, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After we leave Venice we are stopping in London for a week. While we are there we will be attending the British Gran Prix F1 race. I REALLY wanted to see the race at Monza, but my daughters schedule couldn't be adjusted. Oh well, maybe next time (if there is still a race at Monza!) Went to Austen TX. for last seasons race, it was great. Saw this man (picture) there. He claimed to make a new hat every year (to reflect car changes) for over 20 years! Also a pic from my seat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry for any misunderstanding in how I wrote that. I was trying let you know that you wouldn't be able to take the factory tour if you didn't own a Ferrari.

Also, when you do get your Ferrari, usually tour arrangements have to be made about two months in advance, and must be made through a Ferrari dealer.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If you don't own a Ferrari, you can take a bus tour of the Ferrari factory, but it is just a ride around the complex. Google: how its made "Ferrari", and you get a similar factory tour.

8. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    The wife and I will be staying in Bolonga and taking the factory tour next Monday. I feel like the kid who has the ticket to the Wonka factory. Will also be touring Lamborghini. Am open to recommendations.

9. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    if you don't own A FERRARI,make sure you rent one. you can rent one for a 15 to 20 min. run or longer depending on how much you want to spend.I did the 20 min. run about 4 yrs ago for 80 euro.Ive been to venice 4 times, last time was this past june one of the most intriguing places in the world.Make sure to walk around the alley ways in the evening.Also have been there in aug,and sept.It does not stink.In Verona try to go to a concert in the arena,its very beautiful just like all parts of ITALY

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The feeling is even better than the chocolate factory!

There is a lot of info in this thread with recommendations on places to visit and dine and things to do.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific-sponsored-algar-ferrari/377045-ferrari-factory-tour-2012-a-6.html

11. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Try to book as far in advance as possible. I tried for the middle of September and my dealer found they are booked full for the dates I am n Maranello.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try as early as possible. I contacted my dealer in January, 2014 to go in April of that year. He told me it was too early and it wasn't until February that he made the arrangements. I have remembered others here having different experiences with time frames.

I think one disadvantage you had was since the factory is closed for the month of August, probably September gets overloaded with requests.

13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    #38 MalcQV, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We went in August. Drove straight from Monza on the Sunday evening, stayed at the Maranello Village that evening and did the tour on the Monday. There was quite a buzz as it was 2010 and Ferraris first win at Monza in four years!

Maranello is a fabulous place and I vow to go back.
    We frequented Blanco a little cafe just off the main drag.

14. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I was there last November. Truly memorable trip.

- Absolutely rent a Ferrari. I recommend PushStart right by the museum parking. They let me drive fast. Next day I rented another Ferrari in another shop down the street to Fiorano and they were constantly and annoyingly telling me to slow down.

- Do the bus factory&Fiorano tour. You get to be inside the factory and that's quite a lot, even if you don't step out of the bus.

- Museo Ferrari, you have to do it. I guess Enzo museum is secondary but I've learnt there's truly interesting stuff there, too. Definitely won't miss it in my next visit.

- Lunch at Cavallino, dinner at Montana. Like no one told you before :D I nearly got a free lunch at Cavallino because they thought I was an Atelier customer.

- Spend some time around the factory test car gates and you could see special stuff. Spend time around the factory anyway and you will get the Ferrari atmosphere right.

- Have the transfer from Venice airport to San Marco arranged in advance and if you're late don't rush too much. I nearly crash into the rental car hut in the parking and then in the airport meeting point we still had to wait for another couple whose flight was delayed. That was a water taxi for up to 8-10 people, so they reasonably wait if you're delayed.

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #40 Need4Spd, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Check out the thread on my visit and factory tour from 2012. Search for "Ferrari factory tour 2012" in the General Discussions area.

16. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Thanks for all of the input

17. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Hi -- I was hoping someone could answer these questions for me. My wife and I are headed to Italy (Tuscany, Florence, Maranello, Trieste and then -- leaving Trieste -- the Stelvio Pass) in late Aug/early Sept and were wondering about: 1) Do we need to make reservations at Cavallino or Montana? 2) Is Montana located in Maranello? 3) I have a 550 Maranello and would like to go on the factory tour. Do I need speak to a Ferrari dealership to get us onto that tour? 4) What is the average drive time from Florence to Maranello? And 5) Any recommendations on where to stay in Maranello or nearby? Thanks. Frank

18. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    If that is what you see, I'll pass.

VW Polo or Ferraris, robots are robots.

I bought a hand-built car for a reason.

19. quinnie

quinnie Rookie

Feb 2, 2015
    Hi Frank
    3) I did the Tour last summer and you can arrange it throug your dealer
    5) I stayed in a small hotel near Maranello called La Gazella. The rooms are enormous and the restaurant was great. It even has an underground garage so you don't have to park on the street. Only small drawback was the small breakfast buffet.
    Hope you have a good time.
    Quinten

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Mark,

If one has the time, one should visit the factory, but only after visiting the various museums, especially the new one, and Classiche, if you have connections to get you in. The physical presence of the factory itself is frankly more interesting than what actually goes on inside it. Others will have a different opinion, of course.

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Be warned, you have to schedule your factory tour at least 2 months in advance. and must be a Ferrari owner. August is off time for most of Italy, and on vacation. Maranello is a small town and I never had parking problems. The factory tour is worth it, you get to see the racing dept and all the customer prepped past F1 cars, plus free admission to the museum across the street. Discount at the factory store. Had no trouble with a seat at the Cavallino. but I arrived at 7:30pm, it then got busy later.

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Read my separate thread on this. But to answer:
    1) reservations are a good idea, but how busy it is depends on the time of year and who else is in town. Also, most Italians eat dinner relatively late compared to Americans so if you do "American" dining hours you may not need them. 2) strictly speaking I don't know if it's within the town limits or not, but it is a very short drive from the Planet Hotel, which faces the famous factory entrance you see in the movies. The distance is actually walkable but very dangerous because you have to travel a highway with no pedestrian walkway (that I could see, anyway). 3) yes. 4) about 2 hrs. 5) I stayed at the Planet. It's across from the factory entrance and walking distance to town.

23. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I need to get working on booking that tour! Frank

24. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It sounds like time is your major enemy, so you may not want to do this, but since you're going to be driving you have some luxury in your timing. Yes, the Ferrari factory tour is underwhelming (in my eyes), but if you want to see an interesting Italian car factory, go to Sant' Agata. The Lambo factory tour is much more involving than any other Italian factory (except Pagani). My "non-car interested" wife loved it.

25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mark, I don't think Jack took the tour. It is far from robots putting cars together. There are two robots (Romeo and Juliet) placing valve seals into super cooled vessels and then inserting them into the heads, which is not something you want to do by hand. There is also a robot that lines up the windshield with lasers for placement.

Other than that, I saw an awesome amount of handwork and craftsmanship. Even my wife who has zero interest in any factory came out thoroughly impressed.

The Classiche was part of our tour, but we may have gotten more than the normal tour. I know we did run way over time from the usual tour.