help. GT4 door panel removal. | FerrariChat

help. GT4 door panel removal.

Discussion in '308/328' started by anastasio, Mar 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anastasio

anastasio Karting

Dec 9, 2011
    mexico city
    Full Name:
    anastasio
    greetings my friends and experts, this weekend, when I tried to exit my car 1977 GT4 , and when I tried to open the door, the lever to open, did swing up, but it didnt release the door lock mechanism, its not a matter of the door lock push button, it does not matter if it is locked or unlocked, it just wont open the door, so I have to lowe my window, and open it from the outside.

I really need to fix this, but I have never removed the inner door panel, and would love some feedback, form the experts, on what to remove first second?

thanks a million you great guys out there

Best regards

Anastasio

2. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    First remove the hockey stick. (the thin leather covered finish piece). Be careful as the 4 clips could break so pry it off gently. It will reveal 2 screws that hold the trim panel on. There are 4 small screws on the perimeter of the main panel which are easily seen. Of course the inside release handle will have to come off and also the plastic lock knob. Pull the bottom of the panel out about 6" and lift straight up.
    When you get this far, please tell us what you see.
    Edit: remove the courtesy lamp also and take note of the wire colors and where they go.

3. anastasio

anastasio Karting

Dec 9, 2011
    mexico city
    Full Name:
    anastasio
    thanks soooo much GT$Joe, I will do just that
    appreciate it

Anastasio

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Mine sticks badly and needs a good push to open it . Ive tried everything but stopped at the factory lifting by floor jack method. I like its hard to open to deter thieves! HA

5. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    #5 blainewest, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There arent, as far as my searches go, any pics of the first step in removing the gt4 door panel. I just removed mine today because I had to adjust the power window cable. So here are the pics. I bought a 5 piece door panel removal tool kit for 15$ .... Essentially smooth plastic small pry bars to assist with removing the L shaped trim piece in the photos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    #6 blainewest, Apr 27, 2015
  7. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    #7 blainewest, Apr 27, 2015
  8. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    #8 blainewest, Apr 27, 2015
    Final one. These pics hopefully give some idea as to the location of the retaining clips/pins so that one can apply the pry at the correct location.

9. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Oh I have no idea why these photos present sideways... Sorry about that.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    One of the retaining clips on the hockey stick door piece is shot on my car. Are replacements available?

11. guido ferrari

guido ferrari Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    Well, maybe not exactly the same problem since I had to take the door panel off the opposite side door, study the mechanism, to get the problem door open. So it must be my inside handle wasn't working either.

The problem was a broken plastic "rod end" that likely a body shop had tried to epoxy glue back together. Got a new one from Ferrari locally IIRC. Wonder if still available now.

One thing's for sure, I found it really tough to get the door panels off without scratching up the window frames ... looks like past mechanics have had similar issues. I tried covering the window frame with tape first, marginally successful.

And I lost all the tiny screws that hold the door panel on at its lower edge. Been meaning to order from Newco Products but don't know what size to start with. Any help here?

Also wanted to fix "door droop" with shims on the lower hinge, but my allen sockets just snapped off on the hinge screws...

That's all, thanks,

GF

12. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Probably not. You'll have to rig something I think or find a "new" plastic replacement. Have you removed the panel to see what exactly is going on? The female door clip is metal, maybe it 's just out of shape from a previous removal? Or just pushed out of place? Maybe sitting in the bottom of the door. Only one way to find out!

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks.
    Not only is the hockey stick loose by but the door light is as well, so taking it apart is on the list.
    A couple of more pressing issues first though.

14. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    not to bump the thread but since its in the door panel, II need to replace the bulb in my passenger door, does the cover just pop off or what? :D

15. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Which bulb? The door panel light, or the door jam light? The panel light fixture pops out, gentle prying, without panel removal. The door jam fixture requires panel removal I think and mine just slid out.. Friction fit. Cheers

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The door light press fit is fragile. I'd just leave it as is with the light out.

17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #17 robertgarven, Apr 28, 2015
    The end light pops out be careful the factory bulletin said remove the washer so it had a better connection or keep it from popping out. I think you can pop it out with your fingernails.

Rob

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What a fantastic document. It will make more than a few things easier.

Now that I have the part numbers who do I call?
    ;)

19. guido ferrari

guido ferrari Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    Like I said I lost all the little screws and washers that hold the lower edge of the door panel in place. Probably put them all in a "safe" place and forgot where that was.

So ... Phillips or Slotted? Bright or Black? What's "factory" on a gt4 ? I'm looking at the Newco Products site but don't see any prices. They offer 2.9, 3.5, 4.2 mm screws. Washers are a minimum buy of 100, so I cannot guess wrong on the size.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GF

20. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Door panel light, it just bugs me if something doesn't work. I'll fiddle with it and hope i don't break it. Thanks for the replying! :D

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As I understand it the issue isn't with the light but the door card. Eventually there's nothing left to grip. You can fabricate a metal bezel that fits around the backside of the opening but its a lot of work. Or a lot of fun depending on your outlook.

22. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Bright slotted if my one is anything to go by.

23. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    This is correct.

24. guido ferrari

guido ferrari Karting

Jul 21, 2011
    Thanks for the input on the door panel screws. Discovered to my surprise only my driver side was missing all the screws. Removing the screws from the passenger side, I believe they are slotted oval heads, 2.9 mm dia and ~19 mm long & ~ 13mm long at the top front.

Newco's minimum buy is 25 screws and 100 washers, so I'm looking at over $100 easy to obtain the 4 or 5 missing screws and washers. Twice that if I have to upsize a screw here or there b/c the hole is oversize.

Unless someone here can part with some of their stash, maybe for $5 each screw and washer. This would put me way ahead of the game.

Thanks,

GF