Trunk release questions | FerrariChat

Trunk release questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Brumma, Apr 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Still getting to know my "new" 2010 California, and have a couple of questions regarding the alarm and the trunk:

1) Does anyone else's alarm trigger if you use the key fob to release the trunk while the car is locked? Mine does so consistently--nearly blew out my eardrums when it did so in the garage. My dealer seems to think this is normal behavior, but the owner's manual leads me to believe otherwise. He says he has a 2012 in the showroom that does the same thing, but this seems odd.

2) In addition, when I open the trunk it pops up a bit but I can hear the trunk latch continuing to whir away as it continues to cycle the latch as though it's trying to engage the soft-close mechanism. It stops only when I lift the lid. Is this normal, or should the trunk lid pop up high enough to avoid this?

Thanks,

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    My 2013 Cal30 does both. I guess Ferrari wants to warn against "boot bandits"...otherwise doesn't make much sense. I've learned to hit unlock first before opening the trunk. :) Regarding the whirring noise, I asked Ferrari service to take a look at it at my appointment in a few weeks. Seems like an adjustment issue but I'll report back if they can address.I can't recall if my car has done this since new, but it certainly has for at least the past year plus.

3. Zakalwe

Zakalwe Rookie

Apr 27, 2015
    UK
    My '13 California 30 behaves as 1) but doesn't whir as you mentioned in 2), it just lifts the boot lid a few centimetres and is then silent.

4. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Interesting. Thanks for the replies, gents. Apparently the alarm behavior is normal, contrary to what the manual states. I've found other errors in it as well, so that's not too surprising. On further consideration, perhaps that behavior is intentional since one could conceivably crawl from the trunk through the trunk access hatches and into the car. Seems like they remedied the whirring issue. Now it just whirs for about 15 seconds and then stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Yep, mine triggers the alarm if I don't unlock the doors first. Mine doesn't seem to do the same as yours re the second issue though.

6. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    The whirring is an misalignment of the trunk lid and / or strike plate. Easy fix at dealer.