Why do they call them stealerships | FerrariChat

Why do they call them stealerships

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by proof69, May 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    i see that phrase used around here a lot. Are they mostly referring to Ferrari dealerships or just dealers in general?

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    You have obviously never gone to the "Authorized Dealer" for any brand of car...for basic service AFTER the warranty runs out.

3. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They are called "Stealer-ships" because the mark up and labor rates at car dealers is astronomical (BMW quotes are MORE than double what the indie shops quote.

4. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Here's an example. We have a 15' Benz GL350 diesel. Today my wife took it in for it's annual service. Apparently there's some liquid crap u gotta add every year in to the tank. They charged her $140. You'd think that's what the product costs, nope the liquid stuff was $80. They charged $60 to open the bottle and poor it into the tank!!!! Where can I sign up for that job.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Stealership (steel-er-sh-ep) (noun): a repair facility associated on the physical facilities of a car dealership whereby warranty work and non warranty work is performed on automobiles. Work performed on vehicles that is non-warranty is dramatically higher priced than independent repair shops of equal ability. Term is often used when repair work done to a customers car leaves said customer dissatisfied with the outcome vs. price and or quality of repair for said price.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #6 absent, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    I get my daily driver (E63S) washed free anytime I want, it burns oil like the M5 so they add it every time I need it, top off fluids if needed, all free of charge.
    Btw, paid invoice for it but spent some $$ on Renntech upgrades.
    Definitely not a "Stealership"......
    A lot of guys keep forgetting they are businesses created to make profit, anyway they can, similarly like any other business those criticizing them work in or for.
    If they make such excessive and "unfair" profits why so many go out of business?
    ...or why don't you start your own if you think they "steal" money?
    Their service rates are higher then independents but they give you more too, free late model loaner anyone?
    Get a life......

7. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I was quoted $800 for brakes for my DD Ford recently. Um, nope, grabbed a new set for $50 and did the job in 30 minutes.

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I was recently offered 20% off a 10 hour service to replace front shocks on a 599. The service takes 3 hours. Disappointing. Took it to an indy.

Oh, and the parts are available to anyone from Eurospares at $1500 a corner. The shop in question quoted $6000 a corner.

Eurospares installed by indy = $3500
    Ferrari installed by Ferrari = $13,000

Difference = NONE

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    $13,000?

For just the front end?

:eek:

[Gotta pay for Vettel's contract.]

10. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have known a few owners of new car dealerships including one of my neighbours. I have never met a poor one.

11. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    A buddy of mine with a 430 is having his clutch replaced at a local mechanic for $7500. Ferrari of Washington quoted him $11,000 for the same job.

12. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Chiming in with my little story: Took the bmw to the dealership (bad idea #1), they replaced the left day time running light bulb to the tune of $350. Yes, $350.

Never again.

13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I do have a problem paying 2 hours book rate for a job that took the mechanic 25 minutes.
    (many attorneys' hourly billing is similar and look at their reputations) :)

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    These dealers have huge over head. Just look at the size of some of them. That is what you are paying for. Indi guys don't have that kind of overhead so the prices are obviously lower.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    There is a reason why 2012 Fcars and beyond have seven year free maintenance. The cost is built into the new price of the car. Dealers do not want to compete for service business. They hope you will like the service and will come back when the free service expires.

When that happens get a bid or two from indies as well as the dealer. If you take it to an indy don't hesitate to share the other quotes. Everybody has to compete for business. They need to know how their fees and rates compare.

Best.

16. Scuderia Verde

Scuderia Verde Karting

Apr 27, 2015
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm a noob to the repair side if things, but I thought having an Fcar that was always "dealer serviced" was more valuable when it was time to sell the car. Am I mistaken?

17. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't think it matters that much. Maybe it did more in the days of engine out services. Having full service records certainly matters, and IMO is the only substantive drawback to multiple owners as they rarely convey more than one owner back. But if a car passes a proper PPI stands to reason services were performed adequately yes?

18. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes and No.

It depends if the potential buyer is a "noob" or not. Noob thinks non dealer service is a value hit. The multiple F car owner thinks the seller is also a multiple Fcar owner and may think of the car as more valuable.

19. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Bottom Line: I have an 07 F430 that is ready for its annual again. Raging Bull Performance in Costa Mesa or Ferrari Newport Beach?

20. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    When it's 2 hours and it takes 30, I agree. And I work with people on it. If its 2 and I can do it in 1 1/2, that's my bonus for learning how to be efficient. I know if it pays 2 and it takes me 3, the customer isn't going to pay me three... But sometimes you lose.
    I've always tried to be honest and work with people, and spent 10 years in a dealership working flat rate. Have since spent the last 3 years working independent. There were pros and cons, honest techs and scammers. But a dealer is going to use factory parts, has more overhead, and should stand behind all work. Not all Indy shops will, but the good ones do.

As for an $800 dollar brake job from Ford, I would think that's with rotors, but is that just one axle? If so, that's way high on anything less than a 350 or Shelby.

21. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    Had an e36 M3 at the dealer for tires and an alignment. Was told a front caliper was seized and the car wouldn't make it home.

Listened to my gut and decided to "risk it", made it home fine and sure enough no problems with the caliper. Guess they're paying for their brand new dealership by scamming people.

22. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Not a lot one can do in the legal world in 25 minutes.

23. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No...."correctly serviced". Top flight mechanics often are factory trained, then leave to open their own shops. The key is to know that the people working on your car have the proper training, correct tools, correct parts,correct information to accurately diagnosis and repair your vehicle. Anything less and you are not getting what you paying for.

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    "It depends"

25. rnelson

rnelson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2005
    #25 rnelson, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    I'm far from a BMW expert, but on many newer cars the entire front end needs to be disassembled and the actual headlight assembly removed from the vehicle in order to change just a simple failed light bulbs. If the bumper had to come off, it's very possible it was 1.5hrs out, 1.5hrs back together, plus a $20 part. My Audi was like that. Can't fault the dealership for absolutely retarded designs. Although you just know the factory does this to keep the money flowing.

Trust me, I absolutely LOATH dealerships, but although they are definitely going to be more expensive they are usually not more likely to be "crooked" in their billing compared to a small shop. They go book rate, which is in black and white.

The manufacturer is another story. You're telling me in 2015 they couldn't design a "quick release" way to get the headlights out, and full disassembly of the front end is needed? No, that's a service that was designed as a profit center from the start. Kind of like BMW. For the a few years they had oil changes included in the price of the car for the first 3 years. When they were paying for it? 10,000 mile interval. They exact same model car with the exact same engine in the years they weren't running that marketing promotion and they were siphoning from your wallet every time? 5,000 mile interval, or risk voiding your warranty. Utter scum.

Look at the Mercedes cars. They eliminated the oil pan drain plugs about 10 years back.
    Why? So that quick oil change places couldn't do oil changes, and they could charge you $250 to use a special oil vacuum to suck the oil back out the dipstick. It took a few years for the smaller shops to figure it out, in the mean time they had a monopoly. No factory oil changes, no warranty. An absolute sham.