First cars? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

First cars?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Alizzi, May 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. source

source Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1, I am only 23 and have been through several cars already. Started with a 92' Subaru Liberty that ran like a sick animal until it's final day's two years later (worst car ever owned btw), paid $800 for a 93' VR Bogan Crumble-door... again, drove horribly, until a rear-ending by a truck sorted that car are out quite quickly.

... onto my current workhouse- the 94' Holden Crumpledoor ($2500!).

For what it is worth -newish cars while we're new to the automotive world, and as a first car are a pretty good idea; but having said that, there's nothing else more comforting knowing that I can drive off from a minor bump on my bomb, than having to worry about the costs multiplying on something that is brand new (at this age).

2. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    You do realise they now have 7 year warranty?

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    you do realise 10 > 7, right?

4. Alizzi

Alizzi Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Matthew

In today's day and age, will it be that common to own a a car for 10+ years ? I know some will definitely, but not the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    why do you think it would have to be the same owner?

Pap said he wondered what a hynundai would be like in 10 years, and kerrari's most astute response was that it has a 7 year warranty. The number of owners is irrelevant

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I know and I said 10 yrs time. :D

They can't sell cars because of their past history, so they have to offer some form of incentive to buy which is the 7 yr warranty period. And then what do you really get in the warranty? Will have to read it, they are all different.

Warranty does not cover wear and tear items. See how long the seat material lasts or the steering wheel and any other plastic inside the car. Belts, brakes, hoses are all wear and tear items.

And if the car has a few different owners in that 10 yr period and see what the car is like then.

I am comparing this to Toyota quality of course.

They are all crap, but Toyota is less crap. :D

What PP said. A 10 yr old car these days will have 2 or 3 owners in that time or more.

Everyone these days thinks it's a good idea to buy a new car every few years.

Unless you lease it for a tax break or business tax benefit etc, you must have rocks in your head or a lot more money than me.

No one has any money in the bank, but it's easy to walk into a new car showroom and pick up a new Toyota (or whatever) @ xxx amount of dollars monthly repayments.

And it's worse in the 'big mining town's when everyone is on big salaries. Clowns don't have $1000 in the bank, but can afford to finance a $120,000 Toyota Landcruiser Sahara.

A work mate is 20 yrs old and on an $80K income. He traded his old 1991 $5000 L/C ute and financed a 12 month old L/C trayback ute. Cruiser was $70K. Who the hell buys a $70K at 20 yrs old? He ain't got 2 bob to rub together, but can afford to pay $1450 a month repayments over 5 yrs. He doesn't look after it either and is already talking about trading it in a dual cab version which is used and around the same dollar value.

If he trades his ute and they re-sell it, that will be 3 owners in 18 months on a 2014 L/C tray back ute.

The Wife's Uncle is a classic example as to why you should not buy a new car every 2-3 years unless it's beneficial to do so.

He works a good job in the mining game, finances a new car every 2 years or so. Over the last 10 years I have known him, he has had 6 cars as one was written off because of flood damage. *He drowned it*

Where he stands now, he has an $80K loan for a 2013 Hilux which is worth $35K at best.

Each time he 'bought' a new car every 2 years, he lost many thousands of dollars trade on the last one.

He told me the Hilux is the last one he is buying because 2 years ago he had a $100K loan on a new Hilux which he 'paid' $55K for.

Some food for thought anyway. Cars are a waste of money....................from Ferraris to Fords. ;)

7. Alizzi

Alizzi Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    [​IMG]

Decided to visit VolksWagen yesterday, unfortunately, they sold their only GTi the day before... Pictured above is a quick snap of the interior of the R-LineTDI (pretty much a carbon copy of the GTi's interior!)

I absolutely love the interior!!

I visited Audi, they were quite pushy, but I'm not interested, that's more my brother.

Went to Mercedes-Benz, and oh my, being current customers (6 figure car purchased off them), I was appalled how we weren't greeted well at all, and it felt as if they were ignoring us! I'm so disappointed in them (I don't think I should name and shame).

Personally, when I'm older and will buy a Mercedes for myself, I'll be heading to Melbourne seeing as respect means nothing.

In conclusion, the Golf <3 or maybe the CLA ....

Who knows? Time will tell

8. Alizzi

Alizzi Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    And yes, that's my brother in the drivers seat reppin' Adidas... Haha

9. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    hmmm first car , datsun 200b

10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Klink's 1st : Datsun 1200 coupe,bought from Capitol motors.

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    1st car. Rolls Royce

ahh...to be 15 again.

12. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005