Double Dipping! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Double Dipping!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I haven't read all 8 pages of this thread (and I don't have the time to do it), but please note that Ferrari has used "FAKE" VINs on several other "presentation cars". I have to check my archives, but I remember several cars shown at Geneva (when the model was introduced for the very first time) which had fake numbers. I guess this is a similar example, especially as it's a very early Euro version F12 which was shown in the USA ...

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Edvar, thank you. If and when you have the time to check, can you please post the fake VINs that Ferrari has used? If for no other reason, I'd like to document those cars accordingly in my database.

3. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I will send you a PM ...

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #154 134282, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello - and welcome back to Double-Dipping...

Below we have two VINs for two different cars - neither of which is a display/press car.

The first VIN is of a Middle Eastern LaFerrari, seen in Abu Dhabi back in November. The second VIN is of a RHD California T, seen at Goodwood this morning. Notice they both have the same serial number: 205860.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Initially, I thought that Ferrari might be hiding the identities of the display cars to keep them marketable as "new" vehicles, but now that you're beginning to find customer owed cars where the last six digits of the VINs match, it's possible that, due to actual or anticipated production increases, Ferrari has abandoned the somewhat archaic practice of maintaining individual "serial numbers".

As with most other manufacturers, there will never be a cross-identification issue as long as the cars with matching digits are produced for different markets, are different models, and/or have different years of manufacture.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think that is actually the real world answer.

Further supported by the fact they are different models, in all of the discovered examples??

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #157 134282, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. cjaredscott

cjaredscott Rookie

Dec 7, 2013
    Hey, has anybody gone on to CarFax or elsewhere and randomly entered LaFerrari VIN numbers and seen how many (over such a wide variety) are said to be LaFerrari numbers? Is this connected to this anyway, perhaps actually making more than 499?

I could record all the VINs they say they are associated to and check their validity with a secondary source, but that will take a lot of time.

Salomondrin has suggested something exactly the same...

Thoughts?

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i call BS

no way you fit in the trunk of a FF

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    maybe that explains the RED 550...........