Paint condition from factory | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint condition from factory

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by DSY, May 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DSY

DSY Rookie

Apr 19, 2015
    Wow! Thank you for all your replies!! the feedback is unbelievable! I will definitely pay attention however it is very disappointing, it cost the same to do a good paint job at the factory than a bad paint job!!!

2. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    There's more to tri layers than just good vs. bad and an additional layer of coloured paint. The main problem stems from the clear sprayed on top, and the issues with that, basically seems to be the same whether it is a two layer sprayed at the factory or tri layer sprayed at Zanasi. In a normal two layer paint job, you have a primer, a coloured base coat and then the clear. With the tri, you have the primer, the coloured base coat, then the layer adding the pearl/lighting effect or what ever, and then the clear. A corrected tri layer like Fuoco will still look very different from a "normal" two stage metallic red like Fiorano and have that colour changing effect as it's the second layer that adds the effect. It's not just about adding paint for depth of colpur etc. At least, that's how it has been explained to me.

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I just ordered my fifth new Ferrari and will send it directly to Esoteric Auto Detail upon delivery. My two FFs were not too bad but needed improvement. Both California's were terrible, bad swirly and Esoteric made all four perfect. They also put on a paint coating that saves having to wax the car and really protects the paint. So, you not only get the swirls out but get a new coating as well.

I go to lots of car shows and almost everything is swirled to hell. It is sad that most 'car guys' don't realize that you can really have a car with zero swirls, and you can keep it that way with little effort but you do need to pay attention. I've followed Esoteric's cleaning methods very carefully and even after a couple years of daily driving the paint remains near perfect.

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes, most problems are with the clear coat. And has been pointed out many times:
    1. It should not happen.
    2. It is correctable.

5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks. I read both the F12 and 458 Spider threads. Good to see you got what you expected in the end. Your F12 in Silverstone looks amazing.

I am probably going to go for a Silverstone car or maybe Black. Obviously black will highlight poor paint event more so i guess i may be sending my car to Topaz as well!

6. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #31 MisterMaranello, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Since I'm priviliged to have a close relationship with my dealership staff, I've often been there when new cars arrive straight from the factory.

The condition on the cars straight from the factory is awful. I don't know why they even bother to shine them there. The cars are always full of swirls, holograms etc. It looks like someone ran ran along the car with a machine. The condition of the paint it self is not poor, but the factory prep on it is horrid.

With that being said. Professional (private) detailers will always deliver a better result than what a dealer will provide you as a standard service, because the aforementioned have the time to do a spotless job. You are also paying a lot more for their service than the what it costs for the few hours the dealership gives their people.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I too agree that the paint should not be crap, but it is, and it will be, and it is always easily fixed, so it is no longer a big deal. I simply plan a visit to Esoteric Auto Detail with any new Ferrari I get, and I have one coming this fall. Its that or buy something with great paint ... like a Prius :D, gag me with a spoon.

8. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    What is most interesting is that Ferrari is fully aware of the complaints. Have they done anything? This thread answers that.

Why have they not fixed the issue? They don't have to, they sell every single car they produce!! As Rick said, by a Prius they have to be "perfect".

From my experience, 4 new Ferrari's, all needed a great detailer to get them to my expectations.

9. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Yup! Esoteric will hook you up.

Ferrari, Lamborghini and Exotics | Esoteric Auto Detail in Columbus, Ohio | Detailing, Clear Bra, Training, and Product Sales.

10. JWeilan

JWeilan Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    If you're buying a Ferrari for the paint quality, stereo, or gas mileage then you're buying the wrong car. ;)

11. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Thank you!!!

The greatest sailor I ever knew used to tell me over and over again, "I've got the smallest, dirtiest boat in the harbor."

Sailors sail. Drivers drive.

12. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    dealer should have told you all the colour options - about $27k US for triple layer

13. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Thx. I wouldn't have done it for that price. Wow, that's pricey. Going with $7k for a full wrap and it's guaranteed for over 5 yrs. I'll replace it at 3 or 4 yrs if it lasts. Went with Xpel Ultra self healing film. Great stuff.

14. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Ferrari uses American paint (PPG). The Germans use German paint (BASF). You get what you pay for.

15. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    What does PPG being American have to do with anything here? Both BASF and PPG makes great products.

16. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

A couple of hundred? Isn't it more like 1000.00 to 1500.00.

17. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    I had Todd from Esoteric recently paint correct 4 of my Ferrari's and the results were outstanding. His before and after pictures tell the truth and when you look at the cost of the car and the fraction of expense it costs to have the paint corrected it's a NO brainer!

I am a BIG fan of Todd/Esoteric and intend to use them again! :)

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If only.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. Wildling

Wildling Rookie

Feb 6, 2016
    Warwickshire
    Full Name:
    Anthony Ellard
    Hi Wilding here just read so many feeds about paint, my Pista has white ghost mark like water being left on a counter and a small worm white mark any advice much appreciated