Un-warping a Mondial Console Switch Cover | FerrariChat

Un-warping a Mondial Console Switch Cover

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FF8929, Feb 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #1 FF8929, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I’m assuming that you know how to remove the cover assy. If not, there are threads on how to do it. Or, upon request, I’ll go through the process I used.

Carefully remove the cover top film (decal) from the black sub-cover. I used 3M Adhesive Remover p/n 08984. The remover is flammable and requires plenty of ventilation. (I shouldn’t have to insult your intelligence with this advisory, but some people are “just not fully baked”) Be very careful with the decal, as it will be brittle from age. The remover will NOT harm the decal or sub-cover BUT, be sparing with it on the top graphics.

Cut and insert balsa spacers to fit snugly into the black sub-cover switch holes and the ashtray opening. Also insert spacers into the holes where the clear plastic pieces fit. Also, leave the metal washer in the lighter hole. This is to stabilize the holes in case they might try to distort from the heat. Be sure that the balsa pieces are not proud of the sub-plate top edges, as that would prevent the full weight of the granite from bearing upon the plastic sub-plate. A total of 15 holes were plugged for my 83 Mondial Cab. (See pix)

Sandwich the black sub-plate between the shiny sides of two granite slabs. My top slab weighed 18.5 pounds. If you are concerned that the warped pieces may crack, from the top weight, pre-heat them first. I obtained my slabs, as scraps, from a granite counter top company. (See pix)

Use the same process, with wood spacers, for the clear parts. (See pix)

Bake the “sandwich” at 250 deg F, for 1-1/2 hrs. I used an electric oven, and verified the temp with a good oven thermometer. Note to wives: There was no odor or damage to the oven. (I also used the same oven to bake, at 200 deg F, wrinkle paint, with little odor and no damage) Remove from oven. Leave between the slabs, to cool at room temp, for 3 hrs. Remove the top slab and the sub-cover should be, un-warped!

Oh yeah, "Your mileage may vary" (But I don't think so)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    I forgot to give credit to "AML"s sacrificial experiment that let me know that 350 deg. F was way too hot.

3. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 Cadillacbart, May 19, 2015
    Thanks to FF8929 for this post. I successfully un-warped my panel this weekend, and am preparing for re-assembly.

For those who have successfully re-glued the top plastic graphic piece, what adhesive to you recommend?

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I would use 3M Super 77.

5. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    GREAT post, thanks a lot!
    But how do you stop it from warping again?

6. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Not sure- But I'll be keeping it out of hours of direct sunlight when possible.

7. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 Cadillacbart, May 21, 2015
    All back together. I ended up using 3M Super 90 spray adhesive. It's labeled as heavy duty so I hope it holds up. I am happy with the result.

8. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I use this adhesive in some of our manufacturing processes and works extremely well.....it should be fine....

9. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    fabricate it out of metal.

seriously though, you won't. plastic will just do it's own thing over time.

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have "searched" as many ways as I could think of for the procedure to remove the console cover assembly, but I cannot find it.

Can you please post the detailed instructions?
    Alden

11. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Alden,

If I remember correctly, I removed the screws under each ashtray, and the screws inside the cassette box. Then I removed the shifter gate and shift knob. After that the panel should be free, but be careful pulling up as you then have to remove the small clips on the backside that hold the fiber optic lights to the panel. You'll also need to remove the cigarette lighter- mine was and aftermarket version that simply unscrews from the bottom.

12. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Is there a method for flattening the top film (decal)? Mine has a bit of a crease below the ashtray from when I was removing it. Thanks

13. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Anyone have a process for flattening the top film (decal)? Mine has a small crease below the ashtray from when I was removing it. Thanks

14. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Can anyone explain how to remove the clear plastic pieces from the base plate (without breaking them!!) - Thanks

15. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe