Portland Cars and Coffee at World of Speed | FerrariChat

Portland Cars and Coffee at World of Speed

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by PlaysWithItalians, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PlaysWithItalians

PlaysWithItalians Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After four months of private negotiations, and two months on hiatus, the original Portland Cars and Coffee has been relaunched at the World of Speed Museum in Wilsonville.

Staying true to our roots: “[The] goal for Cars & Coffee is to bring clubs, friends, family, enthusiasts, customers, etc together in a neutral territory…where they can enjoy cars they are passionate about, meet friends they’ve known for years, make new friends, and have fun in an environment that is not motivated by any dealership. …it’s not a competition and everyone is welcome at Cars & Coffee.” – founder Kevin (KAOSS)

Here is the website where you can get all the details, blog posts, and regular updates:
    Portland Cars & Coffee | Every Saturday Morning @ 8am

Why World of Speed?
    Because it’s awesome. But, beyond that completely unsubstantiated reason, it has the space we were looking for (we don’t really want to be managing a 500-700 car show every weekend), and World of Speed is a car-friendly landlord and business partner. Just like at Bridgeport, we outgrew the available space and handshake agreement with property management. And the gated lot at World of Speed creates a natural upper limit to the size of the event at 300 parking spaces. We don’t want it to grow any larger, for many reasons.

Every Saturday, all year long
    We continue to meet every Saturday, rain or shine or snow. Yes even snow. Remember President's weekend in February 2014? There was a 911 on snow tires that drove to the gathering.

We Start At 8 AM, Not Before
    The World of Speed parking lots are gated. Gates will not open for Cars and Coffee parking until 8 am. If you arrive early, lineup on the side of the street. Everyone you see entering and inside the parking lot before 8 am is “Ground Control” which is what we call our volunteers.

Featured Parking area
    One benefit of World of Speed layout is the opportunity to showcase exotic and unique vehicles that originally were the centerpiece of the gathering. There is a separate parking lot at the front of the museum with 22 parking spaces. We plan to fill these spaces quickly at the start of every Saturday, and once they are full, then they are full.

Please note: Once the 22 spaces are full we will close the Featured area, so please show up early. If your car does not get put in the featured section please don’t take it personally, it’s not personal. We do ask that Featured cars are washed and cleaned.

What is a “Featured” vehicle?
    Great question! Our goal with this section is to keep it dynamic and fresh. Much of the time the Featured section will be for exotics, yet we fully intend to have special weekends that trade exotics for a featured marque, car club, or perhaps a special gathering. It’s our intent to maintain flexibility in this Featured area in order to best represent the entire C&C community. We will continue to adjust and refine this definition over time.

Regular Parking Outside of the Featured Area
    There are two regular parking lots at World of Speed. Lot 1 runs along the south side of their facility, and includes the loading docks. Lot 2 is directly south of the facility, behind the church next door. Both lots are open to participants, and the gates will open at 8am. If clubs or groups want to park together, then they should coordinate to enter as a group. There is no reserved parking or saving spaces.

Once both lots are full, there is plenty of free parking along the city streets. You are encouraged to show up early!

Oh, there will be coffee!
    Inside World of Speed’s lobby, we’ll have access to bathrooms, chairs, tables, and a small coffee stand catered by Elephants Deli. During gorgeous weekends we plan to have coffee trucks on site to help make sure there’s enough coffee to keep everyone awake. We’ll have more room inside than we had at Starbucks in the winter, and there are picnic tables outside the front of World of Speed for those that want to just sit and take it all in when the weather’s nice.

Keeping It In Control
    We have a crew of volunteers named Ground Control who help manage the event. They have lanyards and badges, and are fellow enthusiasts. They will help direct traffic flow within the parking lots, and answer general questions.

Yes, the police are watching
    SW 95th is well known as a “speed trap” for the City of Wilsonville, so please watch your speed while arriving and departing. Yes, radar is in regular use along the road. Additionally we have partnered with the City of Wilsonville to provide visible law enforcement in the street outside the World of Speed as a deterrent to those who might think about immature behavior. Please don’t rev your engines, drop your clutch, slide out of the parking lot, burnout, or show everyone how awesome your driving skills are.

World of Speed is on private property and people will be asked to leave and not return if they can’t be respectful. The same goes if anyone does anything stupid or dangerous.

Housekeeping
    Please park in designated parking stalls within the property. There are six designated disabled parking stalls, which will be monitored and enforced. And in the loading dock areas, you will quickly see how the vehicles are arranged on your first visit.

World of Speed
    Although the World of Speed lobby will open at 8am for coffee and bathrooms, the actual museum portion will open at 9am during the summer. Admission tickets, annual memberships, and retail merchandise are available inside at their main counter in the lobby.

2. PlaysWithItalians

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There are three great sources for information on the Portland Cars and Coffee gathering.

First is the website: Portland Cars & Coffee | Every Saturday Morning @ 8am
    This is where the most current and detailed updates will be posted.

Second is the Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/PDXCandC/

Third is the World of Speed website: World of Speed Museum

Of course, the best source of information is to attend the gathering in person, and look for one of the volunteers wearing a Ground Control lanyard.

See you on Saturdays at the World of Speed museum!

3. PlaysWithItalians

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What exactly is the "Featured" area and how do I park there?

Relaunch Weekend—Eye Candy was the theme
    For our relaunch weekend we filled the Featured lot with unique, rare, and exotic vehicles. If you wanted to stick a label or theme on it, it could have been called Eye Candy.

From the beginning we have wanted the featured section to be dynamic and evolving, just as our gathering has been since the beginning in Jantzen Beach.

Going forward, the featured section will be ever changing and completely dynamic. On occasional weekends we will apply a theme to the featured section, such as cars manufactured prior to 19XX, or only German cars, or even only modified cars. Some of these theme weekends will be publicized, while other weekends they will be spontaneously announced on a dry-erase board at the entrance to the parking lot.

On weekends where is no theme for the featured section, it will likely default to unique, rare, and exotic vehicles like our relaunch weekend. Again, the intent is to keep the gathering fresh and dynamic, as well as to reflect the full community of enthusiasts.

We look forward to keeping things interesting, and more importantly, fun, as Portland Cars and Coffee continues to evolve.

4. PlaysWithItalians

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    For those who were not present on Relaunch Day, here is a list of the cars which were admitted into the Featured lot. The intent is to represent both the diversity and quality of what was driven to the World of Speed on our opening day. And going forward, this mix will constantly change. How will it change? Keep coming back and find out!

(And yes, there were more than 22 cars because we kept adding more when a space was available)

1932 Packard
    1930’s Cadillac
    ’58 Corvette on custom running gear ($300k+ build)
    Aston Martin Vanquish
    Ferraris:
    458 Italia x2
    458 Speciale Aperta (first public display of this car!)
    355 spider
    512BBi
    360 spider
    430 spider
    FF x2
    Jaguar E-type
    Lambo Huracan
    Lambo Murcielago
    Lambo Jalpa
    Lotus Elise Cup R
    McLaren 650S x1
    McLaren MP4-12C x2
    MBZ SLS x3 (two coupes, one roadster)
    Noble M400
    Panoz Esperante
    Porsche GT3 x2
    Rolls Royce x2
    Viper ACR coupe x2

And this list cannot possibly include the other Astons, Audis, BMWs, Ferraris, Porsches, Mercedes, and all the other manufacturers that were represented by almost 400 other vehicles that showed up and parked in the regular lots for the first day at World of Speed.

5. PlaysWithItalians

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We did our best to keep track of the numbers, so let’s run through them:

Gates opened at 8 am to a line of cars that we’re told was nearly to the freeway
    By 8:45 am the Featured section was full
    By 8:55 both Lot 1 and Lot 2 were full, so overflow went to street parking
    By 9:15 some spots started opening up
    Approximately 430 cars parked inside the lots
    Approximately 600-700 people attended

We watched and we listened
    We spent a lot of time listening to feedback and suggestions, and watching how things went. In just one weekend we learned a lot, and have made a list of adjustments that will be implemented immediately. These adjustments should make it so people know where to line up before the gates open, enter into the parking lots faster, and increase visibility when exiting.

Next Saturday should be even better!

6. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Well played Mark! Great grand opening, organized, and well thought out. Appreciate your efforts!

7. PlaysWithItalians

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This weekend is Memorial Day, and we want to give our respect to the enthusiasts whom have served our country. For this weekend, the Featured area is for members of all military branches - active, reserve, or retired. If you have served, then please identify yourself and you are welcome to park your ride in the Featured lot as long as there is space available.

Please note that we chose this theme to be in conjunction with the holiday weekend, to recognize all military service personnel, living or dead, active reserve or retired. The theme is NOT "Memorial Day" intentionally. We did this for two reasons: 1) We wanted to recognize those who have served, and waiting until Nov 11th for Veteran's Day is too long. 2) Demonstration that the Featured area is NOT just about exotics or rare cars. It is about the community of enthusiasts, as we have clearly stated since the beginning. There have been enough armchair quarterbacks and naysayers making assumptions, and it is our goal to continue proving them wrong through our actions. This weekend, we will salute all who have served our country, period. [My father served 22 years in the Navy, and so did both of my grandfathers]

8. kaoss

kaoss Formula 3

Jul 29, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    KAOSS
    430 cars attended. WOW. I never thought this event would see that sort of support. A little misty eyed if I'm honest. Thank you to EVERYONE for helping to keep this event alive, supporting it, growing it and being a part of it. Hopefully I'll be able to attend in the near future...This is really something special and dear to my heart for me...so I really can't thank everyone enough for this. To see this grow like this...430 cars...wow. Thank you all again!

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Been waiting for a picture or two ;)
    600 plus people and 400 plus cars, and the traffic that goes with it may be a bit over my comfort zone.

10. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Let me toss out an idea. Everyone please feel free to shoot it down. Instead of trying to decide which cars should go to a "featured" or other judgement-driven area, why not have areas designated by the nationality of the marque as it is commonly known (not the ultimate corporate headquarters' location; e.g., Lamborghini would be Italian rather than German)? USA, Germany, Japan, UK, Italy, Sweden and France should cover 99% of the cars, right? I'm willing to give up my spot if an Hispano-Suiza shows up.

11. kaoss

kaoss Formula 3

Jul 29, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    KAOSS
    I'm not sure why people get upset over having a "featured marque" area...especially when there are just so few brands that circulate through it. Not sure how it becomes judgmental or even "favored"...it's pretty simple really, put the marques in a hat, draw one...Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Mercedes, Hand built, motorcycle, muscle, etc and you've filtered through everyone within 2 months time. No one gets left out. Honestly it's the most reasonable way to make sure everyone gets to be "up front" and feel special...It's really nothing more than a focal point for the weekend, not something that is designed to single one person out from the next. It's the fairest way and once it's rotating smoothly, everyone complaining about "not being up front" will go back to enjoying their time and the cars. There are going to be some weekends when the "featured marque" is not really "car related" but more group related, like last weekend....that's ok too. It's not meant to isolate but enhance the experience. Hope that came across right and not in a aggressive way.

12. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    +1

How was parking and traffic management?

The number of cars puts me off.

I usually arrive fashionably late, and would be really irked if there were no room at the inn for my Ferrari.

My preference: smaller crowds.

13. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #14 Ron328, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. PlaysWithItalians

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #15 PlaysWithItalians, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Photo gallery links for May 30th - sunny and warm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_stig63/sets/72157651396989014

We filled the Featured lot in 19 minutes.
    The rest of the parking lots took about 45 minutes to fill.

Gert Boyle from Columbia Sportswear was chauffeured to the location by her daughter in the white Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible.
    Then Page showed up in his 918 Spyder.

It was a pretty good day, indeed!

15. PlaysWithItalians

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
  16. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We are moving next week so I made an effort to get to the new location today. World of Speed is a great venue, one of the best for a C&C I've been to and that includes crystal cove back in the day. I really hope you guys are able to keep the show there.
    Don't ask me what's going on with that last picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    #18 Mr. V, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Went to cars n coffee at WoS for the first time today.

Heavy law enforcement presence.

Only two Ferraris (430, FF).

Mostly Porsches and Vettes.

I can only assume (and hope) the lack of Ferraris is due to this being the same weekend as the goings on at Monterey.

18. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Wish I could say I was in Monterey, but too much to do here. Didn't get around to C&C this morning.

And law enforcement presence is always heavy; as far as I could tell, they don't mingle like the officers occasionally did at the Marriott Starbucks location. Feels more adversarial than supportive, but maybe that's just my gut reaction.

19. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    It is certainly worth visiting, just be on your best behavior while arriving and exiting.

Upon my arrival my Valentine One starting lighting up, and then I noticed a police vehicle with lights on blocking the road immediately past the entrance, for no obvious reason.

There were some unusual cars, including a Panoz.

20. jfeder

jfeder Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Last weekend the theme in the featured section was Porsche, so there was definitely a very heavy Porsche presence. I also think the lack of Ferraris had to do with Monterey.

As for the police presence, we are paying to have a police officer stationed at entrance to ensure safety. Without police presence people have had issues controlling themselves. The officers are typically car enthusiasts, and in general are fun guys to chat with.

This weekend there's no theme for the featured section so it's the typical unique, rare, and exotic cars that'll be in there. Saturday August 29th is race car day, so you'll likely see a ton of race cars at C&C.

Hope to see you all out there on Saturday. Should be lovely weather.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #22 donv, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Oh yeah ;)
    What a beauty, love the color and the car.
    The last picture makes it look like ...... not that many people/cars ?
    The thought of 400 cars and 600 plus people has kept me away.
    The thought also of having people around that need police to keep them in line, seriously turns me off. (As mentioned before) that and I try to avoid places with a large police presence.

Oh and after the military I don't do lines anymore either ..... lining up on the street to get in the lot is not going to happen.

23. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Wow, Don. Sorry I missed C&C yesterday. Beautiful to behold.

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I took the last picture as people were starting to leave. It was considerably fewer than during the height of the summer (the adjacent parking lot was empty, but the World of Speed lots were still all full).

I arrived about 9am, and there was no line at all-- I just pulled right in and was directed to the circle because all of the spots in front of the museum were full.

The police presence is probably a good thing, but I still think the radar trap down the street (which has been there every time I've been) is not cool on the part of the organizers and the Wilsonville police.