Ferrari Safe Hotel in Downtown San Francisco? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Safe Hotel in Downtown San Francisco?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by synchro, May 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The GF wants to stay in San Fran for a few nights before the Monterey weekend in Aug and I'm trying to make that work for us but the Ferrari just had a recent paint and I fear parking.

I did a a quick search on hotels in Downtown SF and they all seem to omit any words about their parking on their website (is it an open lot or underground). I accept that prices are around $300/night and $75/day parking but I would really like to be assured that the hotel parking situation is as safe as possible. We will take other transportation for sightseeing.

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    There is no such thing as 100% safe valet park in the hotel. Many of them do not permit self parking. I have even seen a homeless person tip over a CHP motorbike that was parked in front of a hotel. Reaction was swift, but still....
    Or....My wife's boss let someone valet his Lexus overnight in a nice, name-brand hotel. He later found out that the garage staff used the car overnight and driver was involved in a low speed hit and run. No damage to the car, but a very uncomfortable call from SFPD.

I would suggest you go to airbnb.com and find a house with a garage included. The rate might be a bit higher, but you will be sure about the car.

If you are ok with the outsourcing to some degree I put all the VIPs in the St. Regis. It is located next to the Modern Art Museum, Yerba Buena, and the convention center in SF.

3. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Ur better off going to ritz Carlton in half moon bay

Otherwise, just self park

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Another alternative is to tip the valet, tell him/her to jump in the passenger seat, park it yourself in the valet area and keep the key. I consider a spot a few stories above the ground to be safe, but who knows, I suppose. (There are virtually zero open air street lot parking in the heart of San Francisco, BTW.)

During Car Week, my wife and I stay at a hotel in Monterey which has valet parking only. Last year I brought the Ferrari. I did the above. I figured that valets had seen everything due to car week but as we drove to the valet lot, him in the passenger seat, I learned that it was the his first time in a Ferrari.

5. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Get a real cheap, thin, oversized car cover on Amazon and self park.
    Cheap in case you want to just leave it, oversize to mask car shape.

6. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Ritz Carlton on Stockton or Fairmont on Mason. Tip the valet $50 and tell him to leave it out front ~ shouldn't be an issue.

BTW, please don't refer to it as "San Fran", or "Frisco" ... it's "San Francisco". Thanks.

7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There's the Greenwich Inn on Steiner st. But near marina. Park outside your room. Only worry about door dings if don't get angled just right.

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Thank you for the responses.
    Rather than "self park" vs "valet park" I was imagining that a hotel with a secured underground garage and limited access would be the safest. The websites don't give any clues about parking and I'm not sure this exists in San Francisco.
    Any help most appreciated.

Thank you, this may be a good suggestion, shuttle in or perhaps stay down Penninsula and take BART into San Francisco.

9. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I dont think there's public transportation from Ritz to anywhere. The hotel itself may have a shuttle.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    St Regis is good....

SV

11. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Most self park structures are fairly secure. The Ellis parking lot in Union Square and Portsmouth parking lot near China town/North Beach are safe self park with reasonable rates (under $30 a day). Union Sq parking garage is another decent one.

If you just want to leave the car somewhere and don't need it while in SF proper, I would also suggest parking it near SFO and take bart into SF. There are lots of indoor parking options at airport. They run about $15-20 a day

12. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I've parked my Ferrari in the Union Square garage many times, although not overnight. The overnight fee is relatively cheaper than paying the Westin St. Francis and Grand Hyatt valets to park your car, and you would be self parking your Ferrari. I believe the Union square garage is something like $35/night vs $55/night for the hotel Valets. If you choose this option, just remember to take the Geary St. exit and not the Post St. Exit or you may be performing some additional paint work to your front diffuser due to the steep exit drive way to street angle...

13. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #13 xs10shl, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    I'm with Luke. AirBnB a home with garage, park the car free and safely, and Uber/Lyft/Sidecar/Summon/RedCap/Flywheel it everywhere, as there's no safe parking anywhere else around town. Not to mention that driving around in these parts has become a burden best avoided, thanks to way too many people, and way to many concurrent construction projects.

If you just want to hotel it, I think pretty much every major hotel valets to their basement. A few hotels will leave expensive cars in the driveway, but I almost think that's worse than tucking it away. But that would be your call.

14. rouleur35

rouleur35 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Placerville
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I stayed last weekend at park central, had the valet leave it in the front area off to the side, no problems. I had called ahead and asked the valet if they had a place to put it and they assured me they did. When I got there they were a little unsure but then got the head valet and it all worked out. There was no way it was going up or down the ramp to their underground lot.

15. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The Intercontinental on Howard St. is Ferrari friendly. You can probably tip them and have them leave it up front.

jet likes this.
  16. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Second the Fairmont. With a sufficient tip, there's a strong chance that they will leave it up front for you. Ferrari aside, the Fairmont has some of the best accommodations in the city. Very old school.

17. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Fairmont is top of a steep hill. Not exactly clutch friendly

18. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Scarlet Huntington . They have some great covered spots, right by the valet office.. And all flat..

19. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That whole town isn't exactly clutch friendly

20. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    there are a lot of flat streets in that don't have a stop light on TOP of a hill. i drive to kearny, around financial district, van ness, etc. They are bumpy with pot holes but at least it won't burn your clutch or cause a stall.....

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I self park mine and cover it with a flimsy (small & easy to pack) cover and haven't had any issues where ever I have been in the bay area.

22. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The owner of the Financial District Hilton on Kearny St. (Chinatown/North Beach) owns a couple of Ferraris. I suspect that they could find a way to accommodate you. The Hotel Vitale on the Embarcadero usually has an exotic or two parked out front. Depends on what part of town you want to stay in. Book early . SF hotels are enjoying 90% occupancy.

23. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Union Square is a good one and there are plenty of spots where you won't get dinged. You can call it San Fran btw, I do and I've lived here 20 years. Just not Frisco :)

24. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The Fairmont is pretty Ferrari friendly. They will let you park out front and sometimes even in the lobby. http://youtu.be/5snj7oGEQ3c

25. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Most hotels will let you leave the car up front and have you take the key with you if you tip the guy good. In most occasion, the valet guys didn't even asked for a tip and directed us to park it up front and take the key with us. Of course we gave them a good tip anyway. Going in and leaving as they might be different guys. Just be clear to tell them to tell their friends there is more tip on the way out and they should keep the look out of the car. That being said, I've never left it overnight.