Any XJ220s in USA? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any XJ220s in USA?

Discussion in 'British' started by masterflex164, Nov 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    YEARS AGO IN THE UK, THERE WAS A MAN WHO A CARPET BUSINESS. HE PURCHASED AN XJ220 AND THOUGHT OF IT AS BEING A REALLY SOUND INVESTMENT. AS A RESULT, HE BUILT A ROOM IN HIS CARPET WAREHOUSE AND COMPLETELY SEALED THE VEHICLE IN A BRICK ROOM, THERE WAS NOT EVEN A DOOR TO GAIN ACCESS.

MUCH TO HIS HORROR, PRICES SLUMPED AND THE CAR LAY THERE FOR MANY YEARS, UNTOUCHED AND UNDRIVEN. THE BUSINESS WENT INTO LIQUIDATION AND THE LIQUIDATORS WERE TOLD OF HIS LITTLE SECRET. PICTURES IN THE PAPER SHOWED THEM CAREFULLY KNOCKING DOWN A BRICK WALL OF THE WAREHOUSE AND LOW AND BEHOLD, THE BEAST WITH ONLY 7 MILES ON THE CLOCK WAS PEEKING THROUGH.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THOSE PICTURES AGAIN BUT WOULDNT KNOW WHERE TO START. I'M NOT SURE IF YOU GUYS HAVE HEARD OF THIS STORY BUT I'M HOPING YOU CAN USE YOU'RE DETECTIVE WORK TO GET SOME INFO. AND YES THIS IS TRUE!

POOR CAR EH, IMAGINE THAT!

REGARDS,

MATTHEW

OH AND REGARDING THE XJR15 MENTIONED ABOVE, SUCH AN UNCONTROLLABLE BEAST THAT JEREMY CLARKSON DROVE INTO THE CAMERA CAR WHILST FILMING FOR TOPGEAR UK YEARS AGO!

2. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.

Um your parked in my parking space on stunt LOL

nice pic.

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

It is true about the XJ220 and it was auctioned off by the liquidaters, as I recall it brought a typical price in the low 200's. I know it was a silver car.

4. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Seems like that would be terrible for the mechanicals to be untouched for years.

5. smiffy

smiffy Karting

Feb 7, 2004
    cardiff
    The car was stored in Malboro Carpets, Penarth Road, Cardiff, UK.

I saw a silver XJ220S in Lamborghini of Beverly Hills last monday!

6. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    #31 Trax, Nov 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You would want to remove the drivetrain and upgrade the ECU, gaskets and seals, clutch, etc. and if you wanted to really drive the car you would upgrade the marginal stock brakes. Then you would replace the fuel cell.Probably about $30K for all that.
    Don't forget, if the car has had fuel standing in it all these years without a fuel cell change you would need to carefully check for leaks that may have damaged the monocoque. Much of the car is epoxy-bonded aluminum and guess what the fuel does to the epoxy bond? It dissolves it. Be very careful of this if you are contemplating getting an XJ220.
    Now you have a ready to run car that is going to get too hot and have things like leaky cam cover gaskets as a result (About $1,000 just for the gaskets) failing oil pump seals, etc.As far as the comment about "what a sound". This car at idle sounds like a farm implement with loose parts rattling around inside. The sound is none-too impressive. And don't forget the turbo-lag. but not much more than an F40.
    You would also have a car which is underated. I think it is a fantastically beautiful car (except for the wheels......Ok, and parts of the dashboard and that ugly steering wheel) that I would love to have. They are a bargain and offer truly superb performance considering the era the car came from. The hp is underated and they put out close to 600 hp in stock form, they can easily be upgraded to close to 700 hp with different turbos which the drivetrain and chassis can easily handle. Just don't drive when it is too hot out.

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Reminds me of a Corvette story. About 10 years ago, I heard a tall tale of a 1955 Corvette that was at a body shop around 1974 in the south part of town. With this flimsy lead of info, I started tracking it down. After about 2 weeks of phone calling, I spoke to the owner. The car did exist. It had been stored inside a semi trailer for 20 years at the owner's trucking business and was not for sale. After a couple of years, the owner trailered the car over to a friend of mine who was going to restore the car for the owner. The car sat around for months and months. The owner never got around to bringing a check to my friend to pay for getting the restoration started. One night when I was reading the fine print of the legal section of the local newspaper, I was browsing the bankruptcy listings. BINGO!!! There among the fine print was the business of the owner of the Corvette. He obviously had no intention of having my friend restore the car. He was merely hiding the car at my friend's shop. I called my friend and asked him if he thought the owner had listed a vintage 1955 Corvette among his assets for the bankruptcy proceedings. Highly doubtful. My friend made a phone call to the owner and told him to remove the car from his property. It was sold shortly afterword to another owner who took it out of state.

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Bruce Wellington called, he wants his keyboard back :)

10. psarofim

psarofim Karting

Aug 15, 2007
    I just bought one and it is coming from Japan to Texas! I can't wait!

11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, this is one epic thread bump...almost 10 years!

Keep us posted.

12. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
  13. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I've sent the silver one being in the DC area and its sparked my interest. Does he ever take it to Katie's?

14. mycarsux

mycarsux Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Wylie
    Are. You. Serious? Absolutely fantastic!

15. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Holy thread necromancer, Batman! :)

I do enjoy the XJ220 material on Fchat!

16. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    You will love the car and once you get your head around how wide it is, you will find it is really easy to drive.
    I have a 220s and it is by far one of the best driving exotics i have owned.
    Check if the fuel cell has been changed, it is a must. It lies between the passenger compartment and the engine bay and the cell has to be collapsed in order to fit through a very small opening. Do not buy it from Don Law, it will end up costing you around 15 to 16k and he orders them from ATL anyway.
    He does however have a kit for gaskets, seals and a clutch at a very good price.
    If you can, upgrade the brakes and add servos as the brakes really suck, probably the weakest point of the car.

PM me if you need more info.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I go to Katie's semi-frequently and have never seen it there. I remember Prestige Imports had a silver 220 for sale near Baltimore many years ago. They have since went out of business.

As others have said there are a number of XJ220's in the US. However I believe only 6 of the "S" model were produced.

This thread is a very good discussion on the "S" model.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/british/381316-acquired-xj220-s-220779-a.html

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Would love to buy a LHD Silver one. I saw the one in Vegas years ago and recalled a blue one popped up last year.

As far as the "S" goes I remember that thread, but I personally prefer the standard from an asthetic POV.