Midrise Scissor Lift and 308 GTB | FerrariChat

Midrise Scissor Lift and 308 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by mr308gtb, May 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Hi... finally got a garage, only issue is ceiling height is not as high as I would have wished. Oh well. 4 car, heated is a big step up from self storage with a storage lift currently. I am really wondering how much work I would be able to do with a midrise lift? what can and cant I do? Could I do a belt change? redo the suspension? etc. Any advice would be super appreciated. I am thinking to move my storage lift even though I would not be able to go full height, or maybe to get a service lift, but again, not being able to completely stand under the car. The house is above the garage so no way to fix the ceiling height... thx

2. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    What is your ceiling height now?

3. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    ceiling height now in my storage space is HIGH, like 15+ ft... garage at new house is low, like whatever standard height is 8ft or 9ft, I did not measure. Will measure on Friday. Even though the height is not ideal, I could not pass it up. House is great, wife loved it and it has 4 car heated garage with lots of area to work since the 2nd set parking spaces is on an angle so there is a lot of space in the middle, where it creates a V shape. It's awesome... I'd just like to be able to do some routine work on my cars. Midrise lift looks to be great, but wanted to hear drawback on what can't be done with lift in the way.

Other option is to get one of those lifts that are buried into the ground, but they are probably like 10k or more I would guess and regardless ceiling height would prevent me from being able to walk under the car.

4. AREA

AREA Rookie

Apr 10, 2009
    I've got a scissor lift where the platform rises up to about 42". Works great for most jobs: wheels, suspension, brakes, steering rack, removing window motors all at a decent working height (I'm 5'11"). About the only jobs where I've sort of wished I'd had a higher lift was bolting on the front exhaust manifolds, starter/alternator electrics and gear linkage where I tended to work at a lower height on my back. But that's about 15 mins in 5 years of ownership.

Alex

5. electrogunner

electrogunner Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2013
    Amish country PA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a Norco mid rise lift and built ramps out of 2x3's for a little more clearance pulling onto it. The bottom of the 308 in the center is just flat with little needed access anyway. I have done just about any maintenance that is needed on my 308 with that lift. And it dosen't take up any room when not needed, you can pick them up used for about a grand.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

6. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    very cool. thanks. I am definitely going to order the bend pak. where is the best price, if anyone knows off hand or has looked recently. Need to figure out if it's worth moving my 4 post storage lift, as I won't be needing it for storage anymore. Moving it and setup will probably run me close to $1k, I would assume. I am really fired up.

7. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #7 wildcat326, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just wrapped up construction of a new garage literally built around the care and maintenance of my 308. Because of lot width restriction, we couldn't install a 4-post or 2-post lift and still fit two cars comfortably, so I went with a scissor lift. I can only tell you, as far as advice I've received from everyone else here before I built, it is WORTH having a concrete cutter come in and make a depression in the floor so you can come and go as you please without driving up on ramps. We actually cast a 42" x 80" x 4" depression in the floor, and poured an extra foot of concrete below that pad for reinforcement. I was advised by another forumer to "ramp it" down so that the lift could roll into place instead of having to hoist it in. I didn't follow his advice, and deeply regret it. But, bottom line, makes for great access, and worth modifying the floor to accept it. Since you already have an existing garage, I'll say that the forumer who originally suggested this scheme to me also had an existing garage, and hired a cutter to come in and take out the floor for about that 42x80 area, then poured two feet of fresh slab in there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Max Jax, best midrise lift to get

9. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    ah, I see what you mean, make the front entrance to the cutout an angle. so you can pull it in/out. That makes good sense. My question is - do you find it annoying when working around the car, do you need to watch your step, or worry about twisting your ankle on the cutout? maybe you made a cover from wood? I guess I could always do this at a later point, I can order the lift and use the plywood ramps to start (not a huge loss if I end up not needing the wood any longer. I need to "decide" which garage bay will keep my cars in... I have a 348 and 308.

10. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes on all counts, BUT ultimately, my fiancee will be parking where the Ferrari is now, and the 308 will park over the lift. I expect not to trip on it then, but - so far - every friend and family member has nearly wiped out from failing to look down (can't blame them, they were seeing the 308 for the first time). The unit comes delivered on a palette, and weighs 1000lbs. There is NO sliding it off and into place. I had to rent an engine hoist to pick it up, but then it wouldn't go the last 8 inches because the hoist feet would have gone into the pit. Moral: ramp it in (but measure out the 80" first, and add the ramp length to that). It will be well worth it, particularly if you move and want to take it with you. As for tripping into the pit WHILE working, I only just got it fill set up this weekend, but I'll post a pic later so you can see it raised up; you basically have to work from outside it's footprint because of the hydraulic rams and structure supports.

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    FULLY SET UP, not fill set up

12. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    I have an EZ Carlift, from ezcarlift.com, and I'm satisfied with it. I've done everything from timing belts/cam timing to brake jobs, to cooling system overhaul, to AC system rebuild, and there's never been an issue with the height of this lift (26"). I will say, the lift is light enough to handle alone: I store it standing against a wall, and roll it under the car, for use. Unfortunately, it is too tall to fit under my car without about a 3/4" lift first, which I do by driving onto plywood pads I've made. The only other downside of this lift is that its aluminum side rails sagged too much for my likes, and I've reinforced it by laying on a 3/8" aluminum top plate. Kind of a PITA, but it works, and for the price of this lift (<$2K all in, even with the added aluminum plates, etc.), I'm satisfied.

That said, now that I've seen the floor recess in this thread, I'm dying to do that to mine... But then you have to park accurately, to use the lift, which I don't have to do today (in fact, I can take my lift outside and use it, too!)

Good luck! Please post pics of your final choice and installation.

13. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    this is what I am saying - you think all of this can be done as well with the bendpak scissor lift (I've done everything from timing belts/cam timing to brake jobs, to cooling system overhaul, to AC system rebuild, and there's never been an issue with the height of this lift (26")). I am leaning toward that option. Looks more solid to me. I won't get into the place until July so probably wont have this until mid august.

14. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't understand the midrise lift at all. You have 8-9ft of ceiling height? Just get a regular 4 post with 8ft high posts. Or if your existing 4 post lift is not too tall reuse that. If you don't want to spend $1000 moving it, rent a trailer or truck and trailer. Disassemble lift and use an engine lift to put the heaviest piece on the trailer. Only the "runner" part with the hydraulic cylinder is too heavy for two men to lift. Easily done in a day if the two houses aren't far apart.

308 is 44in tall, so you would still have 4ft under the car, and if you sit in a chair with wheels its not bad to roll around to where you want to be under the car.

I have the standard ramps, and deep front spoiler and have no trouble with going up on the lift. A car on a 4 post lift is way more stable than a scissor. With a scissor, you have to position the car correctly over the lift. Position it wrong, start wrenching hard, and it might fall off! Do some searches and you'll see pictures.

15. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The reason I went with the scissor lift was simply the width constraint with a two-car garage. I just re-read that you have a 4-car garage, so presumably you have all the space you need. When I was shopping for my lift, the mechanics' advice I got was:

1) 2-post lifts most preferable because they suspend the car in the air, rather than on skids. This is the superior lift, BUT can require a special commercial grade of higher-psi concrete and/or thicker slab, and must be specially bolted to the floor. My fiancee put her foot down (it IS her house) on this count.

2) If you get a 4-post lift, you will also need a bridge jack because the car will drive onto the skids, and then you'll need something to prop up the rear end if you have to pull off either wheel do do clutch/belt/plumbing work, etc. One benefit - from a design standpoint - is that you can mount safety equipment (fire extinguishers) and extra shop lights to the posts. Also doesn't NEED to be bolted into the floor.

3) The scissor lift is a good compromise because it rolls right into place, can collapse under the car, raise up the body up to 48" while giving access to the engine compartment, and isn't in your way as you move AROUND the car. Opening a door with a 2-post lift can be a challenge, and - with an 8' ceiling - having four large posts can quickly become claustrophobic. I'll be putting up my car for an oil change this weekend, so I'll report back on access and take a few pics for you.

Lastly, I measured the thing with the lift arms tucked in, and there's an inch of clearance to the bottom of the car, AND about 2-3" per side between the tires when you drive over it. Pick a point to center the car when you pull in, and you should be fine.

16. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    I'd like to see some pictures... for Chris - is the concern the entire unit tips over or that the car falls off the unit. if the later, i don't see how that is different from a two post lift. My garage height is just 85", the storage lift would fit, but I have no need for it. sure it is stable, car can't fall off, but also the car is not up off the wheels and the work one can do is very limited. I did at one point get the bridge jacks and those crappy things leaked hydraulic fluid oil everywhere and I was storage a ferr under it. not fun... i made them take the units back. 2 leaked and 2 from my friend also leaked. I really can't lift the car very high in this garage unfortunately, but for the fluid services and brake stuff I think the scissor lift is way to go... i did not find much about them falling off, contrary to what you said. I did see a lot of positive feedback. thanks.

17. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Sorry -

I'm on standby for an oil change, but it was a 45 degree downpour all day, so I couldn't take the car out for a decent drive to warm up the oil first. Hoping tomorrow.

18. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A four post will fit height wise. Standard one is 83" high. Scissor can block some access to center of car. Price difference isn't much, but since you already have a 4 post it seems like a waste not to use it. Unless of course it isn't the right height. If primarily for wheel access than, yes, 4 post isn't the way to go and you have one so you would know. Car can drop off of 2 post or scissor. If you are careful it will never happen, but the risk is always there.

19. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    #20 Vonbarron, May 31, 2015
  20. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #21 wildcat326, Jun 1, 2015
    Some pics, as promised.

Got a few dry hours this afternoon, so my buddy and I took the car for a short drive (emphasis on short, as I'm still dealing with an ignition/power issue), just enough to get the oil up to temp around the neighborhood, then put it up for an oil change. I need to do some better fine-tuning of the lift arm positions in the future, but I basically drove the car over the lift until the wheelbase was centered - from a side perspective - with the platform. After hearing everyone bemoan the inherent instability in this thread, I started by just raising it to the first safety lock position. In its LOWEST locking position, the car was high enough for me to roll in on a creeper, lying on my side, without touching the bottom. As pictured below, the lift allows access to the entire motor and exhaust system. Did spill some oil into the floor depression, which was a b***h to clean, but otherwise, cannot recommend this more highly. On the first or second notch position, geometrically speaking, I don't see how the thing could topple, as it's wider than tall with a low center of gravity. The lift itself weighs nearly 1000lbs and has heft of its own. I rolled myself around by pulling/pushing myself along the chassis and there was no sign of any wobble or give. Solid as a rock.

rancourt likes this.
  21. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I have a very low ceiling in my current garage.
    But I have a low-rise lift, and can do quite a lot with it.

The only caveat is that you really want a two post lift for exhaust work.
    Any low or mid rise lift will obstruct under the car.

I originally got the low rise lift when doing suspension work (coil-overs) on the Celica GT-Four.
    You can't do suspension work with jack stands, as you're fighting the anti-sway bars.

I just want to get a big enough garage that I can leave the lift in place.
    At 1000 lbs, it's not all that "portable".

As I get older, I find it's even handy for waxing. Rather than bending down, lift the car. ;)

22. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I respectfully disagree; the exhaust system is not obstructed on mine (see above). You essentially need to pull the motor anyway to remove the front header, so what difference does it make if you can't pull it from underneath? Perhaps it's just a matter of car positioning on the lift, but my entire motor and the exhaust system seems accessible.