Double-Sided Sticky Tape Question... | FerrariChat

Double-Sided Sticky Tape Question...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wayne 962, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    It's rare that I have a tech question, but here goes:

I need to mount some emblems to the 308. They are large side panel badges about 200% bigger than the Porsche crest. They do not have posts in the back. They are very nice and about $120/set (worth it). The people who make these said to use double-sided tape to attach them to the car.

My questions are:

- Which tape would you recommend? I got some from Home Depot, but I'm not sure if that tape would deteriorate with exposure to car washes and other elements? What is the best tape out there for this application?

- What would you suggest I do to prep the area of the car where this is going? The car is waxed (water beads quite well), and I would suspect would not be a great mounting surface for tape in it's current incarnation.

Any suggestions?

-Wayne

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#2 Ricambi America, Mar 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First, thoroughy wash the area with Dawn soapy water. Dawn will really rip through the old wax layers and you'll almost be down to bare paint. Then, I'd probably work a clay bar over the mounting areas -- just to remove any other bits and pieces which might be embedded in the paint. If you're really about to cover up a region of the car for "all eternity" with your new emblem, why not have it in pristine condition?

Regarding the tape, I believe 3M makes double-sided tape specifically for exterior automative purposes. I would absolutely NOT use some Home Depot tape.... next thing you know, your $100 emblem will be on the side of the freeway covered in Possum guts. Check with auto body shops and stuff -- they'll know the brand. A simple cruise on the 'net found this:

"3M™ Nameplate Repair Tape 06385 is a .030-inch thick, medium-density gray foam tape with high performance acrylic adhesives on both sides and a red release liner."

There should be two PDF's attached to this, if F-Chat works properly.

Good luck!

-Daniel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    3M tape does works much better than the generic white low density double sided foam tape. Where I am, license plates are double side taped to F-cars. When properly taped, it's very strong and takes a lot of force to pull off.

The most important part is to clean the surface well to get rid of any trace of oil or wax. I usually wash area with dish washing detergent which is very good at removing oil and wax, then I will wipe area once with alcohol and buff dry with clean cotton towel. Same goes for the badge side.

Obviously must handle the tape without touching the sticky surface to avoid skin oil contaminating the adhesive. For accurate placement I usually use a masking tape to mark some reference line or corner to help locate the badge orientation so you can place it on the car in one shot with proper alignment.

4. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
  5. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    My brother is doing a bare tub 911 Targa restoration. He turned me onto the Pelican Parts site last Sunday that has some funny as s**t links and threads. Remember the photo on the Bikini thread of the face-down on the picnic table chick wearing the white thong?? She's there as well, along with some funny commentary about her. Check it out!!

6. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Must be in the Off Topic forum...

-Wayne