Can ferrari survive without f1 | FerrariChat

Can ferrari survive without f1

Discussion in 'F1' started by kingjr9000, Jun 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Where should Ferrari showcase their highest level of motorsport racing aside from GT?

1. Ferrari should race only in F1.

2. Ferrari should race in both F1 and WEC.

3. Ferrari should leave F1 to race only in WEC.

4. If F1 degrades to the point of no return, they should withdraw even if not racing elsewhere.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    #1 kingjr9000, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Now, before any of you chew my head off, hear me out. I was wondering what would happen to ferrari if they decided to quit f1 and go to wec. I know they have a little more than half of the constructors titles in sec as they have in f1, so what would happen to ferrari, their fan base, and their racing heritage? Nearly every valuable car that ferrari has had on auction, has been an old lemans car, so how would ferrari be if they decided to quit f1 and their crappy rules and go to wec for more freedom? What would happen to f1 along the way and how would ferari's road cars benefit from their adventures in wec as compared to f1? Would ferrari suffer in the public eye because of their lack of well-known wec/lemans history, compared to their f1 history or would they thrive equally as well?

Since I can't make a poll, could the mods make one for me?
    Would you like to see ferrari leave f1 for wec
    Would you like to see ferrari stay in f1
    Ferrari should only leave f1 if it degrades to the point of no return

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If Ferrari goes to WEC so would the money and the crappy rules would follow imo

3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Can f1 survive without Ferrari?

4. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Ferrari never has to race another car again. I think they have made their splash.

BUT, F1 is what keeps the mystic going.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It wouldn´t make a big difference, IMO. Most people doesn´t care about F1 yet everybody knows that a Ferrari is a cool expensive car. The big difference is that Ferrari would have a hard time funding a sports cars programme while in Formula 1 they get money from FOM and sponsors, so I doubt that it could happen.

And IMO, sports cars have a lot of crappy rules too.

6. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    How so? I know the main rule about f1 is virtually the same engine and everything else among teams, but wec has a different policy regarding engines and etc among teams. Don't audi, porsche, and the other big manufacturers get money from sponsors as well?

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Very true.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am sure it can.

Nothing or nobody lasts for ever.

The show will go on ....

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    To put it in a few words, the regulations in sports cars and GTs allow for multiple configurations that are equalized later based on arbitrary rules by FIA-ACO-whoever. As you can suppose, everybody but the winner is always unhappy with the restrictions they have so rulers are meddling with the rules constantly. In F1 they do they same, just that they use the grey areas of the law.

About the sponsors, take a look at the Audi bodywork. You´ll see that the main sponsor of Audi is... Audi. And they´re a top team. Same for Toyota. Porsche´s main sponsor is a CNC machine company, I doubt they can afford to spend a lot of money at sponsorship.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes they can. They do not need F1 in anyway

11. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    +1
    Porsche have proved that.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I think a more interesting question would be: who will survive for longer, Ferrari or F1?
    My bet is Ferrari and Mercedes will operate for way longer than the sport itself. Not sure about other teams, though.

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its an interesting question. I think the simple answer is that Ferrari the company will still sell cars regardless of any racing activity. the connection between racing and Ferrari has largely been pushed to the background. folks ( no disrespect meant here ) who buy a new California, FF, F-12or 458 etc... are about 60% un aware or un concerend about the racing heritage and current F-1 team. those who by the super cars - are largely long term Ferrari owners who are aware of the racing - and some have race cars in their collections etc... so they like the latest in racing technology.

Bottom line is Ferrari will still sell high priced cars - with no impact, if they stopped in any racing.

F-1 = would slowly implode without the cachet of Ferrari -and the "fans" who spend money on all the gear - TV... that audience identifies with about 80% brand recgonition of Ferrari -either they love them or hate them, but they turn on - or show up. and the loyalty is very high.....

Not that many passionate people about Mercedes racing... not enough to attract sponsorship and major TV time. as the TV money dwindles - so would F-1.

Ferrari back at LeMans? it would cost a lot less, technically go further but ultimately be an embarrasment if they did not win out of the box. so Ferrari would have a lot to lose and little to gain by going LMP1 LeMans.

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I added a poll for you. I think it covers most of the discussion. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Ferrari can survive (financially) without F1

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

And by "constant meddling", I believe it really is constant - Like between every race! You go a little too quickly in round one, you're going to be heavier and/or have less go juice and/or have your breathing restricted for round two.

Apply the same nonsense to F1 and the Merc's would weigh 200kg more, be running on 50KG's of gas and be breathing thru a hummingbirds sphincter by now!.....

They *all* like to push the envelope - Teams of smart folk poring over any rule changes every winter looking for "loopholes". A part of the game. Always has been, always will be.

However, and I've said this tens of times, they do not, indeed, cannot change the rules without either;

- Unanimous approval of all teams if for the same or following year. This is obviously almost impossible to get. Even the somewhat sensible "allow them 5 engines this (long) season" couldn't get approved for example.

- 70% (roughly) approval for *any* changes two years out.

Now, the naysayers will point to the mass damper, flexi floors, double diffusers and blown exhausts etc. But, it you actually study what happened in each of these cases, no rules were changed. Some were clarified, but never, ever, changed mid-season. It simply doesn't happen in F1 unless they all agree, and we're back to step one.

It really is a common misconception that Charlie changes the rules on a whim.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ferrari can do without F.1 but for me The f.1 cars are more important than the road ones......F.1 would suffer gravely without Ferrari and i think it would no longer be f.1 as we lknow it...also i believe that if Ferrari swaped f.1 for the WEc, the last one would become more important than the first.

20. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    Its a business question, and anything in business is possible with the right strategy... I think its safe to say that win or loose, Ferrari still comes away with more money from F1 then any other team.

21. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    That's true. Ferrari gets a certain amount of money every year regardless the results. For heritage reasons.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari absolutely. They sell enough hats each year not to worry for the next 50.

F1...in it's current state? With Ferrari gone? All hail the new series, GP1....(incidentally, Ecclestone holds the rights to that together with Flav).

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
  24. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    F1 became such a joke years ago that I quit watching altogether. Seldom miss it anymore, and the few articles I see on the sad direction the FIA has taken cure me of any desire to watch F1 again. Well, that and The Hampster, whose arrogance & smugness I find abhorrent.

I much prefer sports cars to open wheelers, and wish Ferrari was campaigning factory cars in those series. That said, sports car rules are starting to go down the same path as F1, and the money Ferrari would bring into that arena would hasten the process.

Years ago the teams had the perfect opportunity to break free of the FIA's shackles and start another series, only Ferrari took an under-the-table payment from Bernie and signed the Concorde Agreement then up for debate well ahead of the deadline. I lost a ton of respect for the current-day Ferrari management because of that.

Since the world audience seems more interested in open wheelers than sports cars, my vote would be option 3-- Ferrari should leave F1 and go to a newly sanctioned open wheel series founded on a commitment to fomenting an atmosphere of Innovation & Real Racing, instead of the current reality TV mindset in F1. But my own personal desire would be Ferrari to ditch open wheel racing altogether and move to a sports car series where the teams are given so many liters of fuel for a given race, and how they choose to try to win is only limited by their imagination and resources.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Same here .