F12 spider?? | FerrariChat

F12 spider??

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by aazizkhalid, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aazizkhalid

aazizkhalid Karting

Aug 4, 2012
    DUBAI UAE
    Any likelihood this will happen?
    Local dealer says he thinks not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    No way. They already did the F60, so I highly doubt it although I think it would be amazing!

3. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    550 Barchetta, 575 Superamerica, 599 Aperta,.......

4. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    More than likely.......it will be based on the F12VS and probably come just before the end of the F12 lifecycle as an extremely limited edition akin to the 599 Aperta.

5. aazizkhalid

aazizkhalid Karting

Aug 4, 2012
    DUBAI UAE
    Id definitely open my wallet for it if it did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Likelyhood of this happening I think is high. But also will be a (very) limited edition.

7. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    It's been built; F60 America. End of story. Not to mention the Special Project F12 TRS.

8. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This time I disagree with you!

10. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    I get the mystique with low volume "exclusive" however why limit production on a spyder? Why not offer these as a regular version like the berlinetta? Why shouldn't Ferrari offer these side by side with a $$ difference and just let the market sort it out? It seem to me the artificial exclusivity is annoying and expensive and limiting to just about everyone except the 500 rich guys that rub each others elbows.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You cant compare the extremly pricey and rare F60 to a limited run of F12 Spider. IMO Ferrari will do it since there is a long tradition of front engine V12 cars.

I hope they do a speedster. That would be awesome.

12. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    +1

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    There will be an F12 Aperta - Unless Ferrari is opposed to banking another 25M in profits :)

14. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #14 MisterMaranello, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Well, the V12 spiders have never been run-of-the mill cars. As I'm more than sure you're aware of; they have been limited models. In recent times going from several hundred to <100 for the SA Aperta. And so it has been done for the F12 as well, with the America. The car - F12 Spider - exists.

Well what do I know, with SM and his self-professed desire to increase the availability of special models now being at the helm. However, I'm not convinced an F12 Spider is in store.

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    With Sergio at the helm we will see an increase in number of special edition models
    You cannot spin off Ferrari into a separate entity and NOT increase profits unless
    a drop in stock price is a primary goal.

16. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I don't see why it isnt just a normal model to buy like the 458 spider and 458. Unless most people just don't want the spider in front engine v12 2 seater form and the low demand doesn't warrant it. Or would something like this take away demand from the aperta versions?

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I really don't undesrtand why people want an open top supercar. They are supposed to be fast and rigid and a convertible is a compromise in weight and structure!

18. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    An open top supercar is plenty fast and plenty rigid for 99% of the people that buy them and furthermore the compromise of weight and structure is indiscernible to 99% of those!

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 458 spider has noticeable cowl shake, but I get your point. I still don't get what open top motoring offers when you are driving such a fast car. Personally, I like to keep distractions (such as wind blasts) to a minimum when giving a fast car the full beans. Not to mention the safety aspect of rolling over with an open top while doing 100+ mph...

20. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I still don't see how that would take away any demand on an 'Aperta-type' version; it seems to work fine for the F430 and 458s so far... F430 coupe and spider / Scud and 16M... 458 coupe and spider / Speciale and Aperta.

I agree with the posters saying these models are more than likely with Sergio at the helm and more focus on shareholders and that means we're very likely to see a 'regular' F12 convertible as well as a GTO and Aperta special editions. Ferrari would be leaving tens of millions on the table if they don't do it.

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Well it seems like you are going faster....with the top down. Say you are driving 60 with the top down. It seems faster so one is not as tempted to speed and get a ticket. I have done 150 with the top down (windows up) and you could talk and listen to the radio just fine. It is great.

To each his own.

Best

22. Petrol

Petrol Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    I never got the whole convertible thing. That is, until I owned one. It always seemed to me like the coupes looked nicer, and were lighter and faster, less expensive, and who wanted heavy wind blowing in their face all the time anyway?

But for me, personally, everything changed the first time I took a convertible out in beautiful weather and really drove it hard. I just plain felt more in touch with the driving experience. Even if it isn't 100% the performance of the coupe, isn't the driving experience what Ferrari owners are always going on about anyway?

In fact, I drive a 458 spider now, and one of my biggest complaints is that it doesn't offer enough of a convertible experience, that it's more of a targa than a proper convertible. Nonetheless, I chose the 458 over the F12 simply because a convertible was available, and a convertible F12 is pretty much my dream car.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    To those who think they are leaving money on the table by not building a standard f12 spider... I dont' think you quite get the business model.

Ferrari doesn't make money because they build the worlds best cars. The probably build some of the worlds most flawed cars. There is the mystic etc... behind them, and once the brand loses that... its just a flawed car for sale. They make more money on selling the horse than horsepower. The money is made on branding.

There is no reason to produce a run of the mill production convertible... when they can sell special editions for ridiculous money and keep people trying to get into position to buy the next one... "Well Mr. Jones.... I know you are a good client but you don't have an FF and a California T in your garage... change that and we can talk about the next special car" You always want the customer desiring something. Its like a woman, if you are too available... its unattractive.

Think of a club that charges extra for "tables or VIP" would the club make more money if they didn't limit VIP or tables? Why don't they make the whole place filled with tables or VIP... Ohh wait... that wouldn't work would it

24. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    All the better to hear the screaming engine!

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    When the boys in F1 start driving coupes i will rethink my position which is: a day without a spider is like a day without sunshine. :)