What's the purpose of this? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's the purpose of this?

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, May 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Van de Merghel

Aug 18, 2006
    Anaheim, CA

Yes it just snaps on. Be careful not to break the center anti temper adjustment tab. There's also a spring underneath to look out for. And before you "seal" it, make sure the throttle is properly adjusted.

Years ago my 85 QV failed the visual at the smog station because this cap was broken and one tab was missing. According to the tech., the factory setting must have been tempered with - so "NO GO".

It wouldn't hurt to have an extra one - just in case.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the info. Now, how do I remove the old broken one, do I just crack it completely?

3. Van de Merghel

Aug 18, 2006
    Anaheim, CA
    A flat blade screw driver placed underneath the cap itself and the the small ledge. It was in there quite tightly and ended up also using fine needle nose pliers pulling up while dislodging it with the screw driver.

Or, if you're in a hurry you may crush it death! That will work also.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That's funny because there was no law disallowing actual adjustment and the law did not require reinstallation. It was just intended by our ever so superior government officials to prevent the untrained from fiddling.

5. Van de Merghel

Aug 18, 2006
    Anaheim, CA
    I hear you. The tech was able to read the sticker by the overflow tank and point out that" the throttle setting screw is preset and sealed at factory." To him since the seal was broken that was it - end of story. All I could do was smile, salute smartly and be on my way.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Youse guys made me look.
    I know darn well I use to have one (See some of my way early posts) but it has since vanished. :(