Video of '84 Mondi with Tubi Exhaust | FerrariChat

Video of '84 Mondi with Tubi Exhaust

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cockrill, Jun 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I bought a GoPro camera just before the Monsoons hit Texas. It finally dried out enough for me to try it out. Subject? My Mondi of course.

It's a 1984 Mondial Coupe. My car is a Euro version, no cats, and a Tubi Style exhaust. It's loud, and pops and crackles like crazy on the overrun. I love it. Anyway, here's the link.

https://youtu.be/SBObE5QwhJ4

As time permits I'm going to shoot some more videos of the car and post them to my YouTube channel.

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    technology is a wonderful thing. I bought the generic tubi for mine. Wish I would have mortgaged the house an got the real thing. Enjoy

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    That sounds lovely and fruity, does it get at all wearing on long trips?

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    In the shots from above the car (where you can see the pop-up headlights) the microphone was clipped to the driver's sun-visor. (In the other shots, the microphone was clipped to the rear bumper.)

Personally, I don't think that the sound is "bad" on longer trips. (My BMW M Roadster, on the other hand, which can be seen in the final shot, has a custom Magnaflow exhaust and does drone on the highway.) With the Mondi, even on the highway, I find myself rolling the windows down so that I can hear it a little better.

5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Even with the generic muffler I have the sound is so cool. My radio does not work and my wife asked when I was going to fix it. I told her I am not. If you are on a long road every once in a while simply drop a gear or two and put it on the rev limiter. Makes it much less boring.

6. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ok that's good because I did get a sports ex for my Countach and to be honest the noise was all exhaust and no engine or induction, and it did get a bit much after 10 miles on a highway, so I changed it back.
    The standard Mondial can sounds real nice when you are in the back but it weighs a ton and sounds a bit feeble from outside the car.
    I heard a Larini ex on a Lotus elise and that sounded bloody amazing, it almost made the 4 pot motor sound like a V6!
    Hmmm, think I will have to take the plunge...

7. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Great, if you do get more videos yes post them here also.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What? No 30 sec ad first??

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Very nice sound! A Mondi does look better with the pods up filming from the roof ;) and the sound.. it cannot get any better! :D You have even better snerps then my Nouvalari in higher refs where the Nouvalari gets more quiet.

Looked at the Tubi Style exhaust at the time, but found it too expensive in Europe. Around 5,500 euro (7,000 USD).

Wearing in that the sound will change over time? I believe all stainless steel exhausts do overtime and develop their own noise. Not bad at all. In contrary, it's getting more mature making it a better sound (IMHO)

10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    That's the best sounding Mondial I have ever heard. Wow. I love it.

11. bsaboy

bsaboy Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    SHEFFIELD U.K.
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SHAW
    My mondi came with pipes to replace the silencers (mufflers) so had them fitted when it went in for service sounds like a formula 1 car now -but not too wearing on a journey as it s fairly quiet when cruising

12. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
  13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner