1995 Ferrari 355 Berlinetta For Sale | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1995 Ferrari 355 Berlinetta For Sale

Discussion in '348/355' started by mathewr, Apr 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    "NEW CLUTCH KIT, RELEASE BEARING KIT, WP KIT" at 5800 miles? that would concern me.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'm sorry that the car was misrepresented. Lot of promise there. It's also disappointing that the dealer who has a very good 'PORSCHE' reputation couldn't quite explain these things clearly or get them fixed prior to putting the car out there.

It's good to have the members here be able to check out cars that are local to them. We'll hopefully do better next time.

Robb

3. Christian Sasfai

Dec 31, 2012
    Heath, Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian Sasfai
    Being an aircraft owner and in the aviation business, I can attest to buying on condition, not amount of use. Irionically, any piston engine manufacturer or overhaul shop will tell you that an aircraft engine operated in scheduled service (like a freight hauler that flys five days a week) will outlast an engine that is only run a couple times a month. Most aircraft used for recreation won't make TBO (engine Time Between Overhaul) while those in scheduled service will often meet airworthiness requirements well PAST TBO. As far as the airframe, an airplane that gets little use often becomes a maintenance hog.

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Rosso barchetta is where it's at for 355s.

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Agreed. Coming from a Rosso Corsa owner. :p

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Apparently, RAC read the similar comments about this car over at the other chat site and commented on their integrity. However, they did not refute a single issue that was brought up about the condition of the car. I have a feeling this story isn't over.

7. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    They are more than welcome to submit hi res photos in an attempt to refute ANYTHING that I stated in my previous emails. The facts are the facts. I also have in my possession a PPI that Norwood Italia performed for a different prospective buyer (who promptly passed btw) which will substantiate everything I stated. Trust me, I don't expect a vigorous rebuttal from my friends at RAC at this point!!!

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    It almost sounds like the car got some water in it and it was cleaned and put in storage for a long time.

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

They didn't want to sell it to you as a project. That's all

10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

One more thing to think about on a clutch on a car that has sat for many years, the clutch can be stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate and will not release. (my 308's clutch was stuck after sitting for 8'years) this in itself would create the need for a new clutch as I'm sure they didn't try to unstick it and if it was stuck and released it won't last long.
    Or someone just didn't know how to use a clutch properly. That's not unheard of, Or they decided to just put a new one on the car because well while we're in there BS!

I have a hard time understanding why so many of you are flabbergasted that a consumable part has been changed. Regardless of "mileage" time destroys vehicles just like aircraft if it goes unused it deteriorates and parts fail.

The longer they sit the more crap that breaks.

I have no dog in the fight about the car just its not some conspiracy theory about this car I could care less about the car.

11. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Just as I suspected, the car is a pile of crap. Anyone who has the b-alls to post an ad like that with a price like that had to expect due diligence.

As with white table cloth restaurants, the general rule applies: the more expensive it is beyond reason, the worse it's going to be. A $75 steak in Vegas will be the worst experience of your life. A $45 steak in Vegas will be excellent enough, just as it would be somewhere else.

There's no reason for $75 steaks, and there's no reason for $130K 355s (at the present time). The car should probably be **discounted** substantially since it is a huge unknown whether the thing is actually a car that works like one or just a museum piece not to be driven.

12. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

I just caught this thread and I am laughing my butt off. The axe to grind is that someone (hmmmm...quite possibly even someone on this thread) lowballed the car and the owner refused (this car is on consigment. For those who haven't consigned a car before, which ironically I have done twice with RAC on two rare oddball cars, RAC is obligated to present all offers. The seller must approve all offers.) The best way to ensure other potential buyers don't get the car from under you is to post on fchat under the guise of helping the community, blah, blah, blah. More like helping yourself to scare off any other potential buyers so that hopefully she (the seller)will take your offer. This was her grandsons car who passed away. She doesn't need to deal with this crap in order to do what she needs to do to move on. Bet you the next time this car in on the market, it will be for even more $ than she asked for. And it still won't be perfect.

13. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    So you're saying Rob and Dave created a thread with a bunch of lies about a car because they were upset the seller didn't accept their "lowball" offer? That makes sense. I'm sure that's exactly their motivation.

14. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Dude, you're attacking the integrity of people who spent SIX HOURS examining the car. Why don't you go look at the POS car before spouting off with some moronic theory that we are trying to game the process by disparaging the car online ???

Or better yet, why don't you attempt you back up your market manipulation theory with A little evidence??? Might I suggest that you start by posting HI RES digital pics of the following:

- a close up of the road rash destroyed front spoiler.
    - a close up of the driver's side seat
    - a close up of the driver's side dash showing the leather stapled to the surface (my personal favorite)
    - a close up of all four of the road rash destroyed wheels.
    - a close up of the zip tied shut air recirculate box in the front trunk.
    - a close up of the pass side intake plenum in the engine compartment
    - a close up of the paint masking line on the pass side just below the entire cover.
    - a close up of the filthy interior carpets.
    - close ups of the numerous sticky pieces (mirror triangles, engine cover trim, gauge surrounds that are STILL STICKY after the billed dear Nana $2,600+ for corrections.
    - close ups of all three dash vents shoved into the dash.

I rest my case!!!!!

15. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    P.S. If you really want to help Nana unload this pig, tell her she can greatly aid her own cause if she can happen to locate the missing service records, missing tool kit and tire inflator, missing books & records and missing covers!!!

16. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Rob,
    Are you essentially saying that the car shown in the pics and presented as the one for sale online is not the one you saw in person? Or at least they weren't recent pics?

Looking at the pics on RAC's site, I see a *tiny* bit of what might be curb rash on 2 wheels, the A/C vents appear to be okay and the driver's seat looks fine... perhaps not perfect, but definitely nowhere near as bad as mine (currently being recovered).
    So it seems like the pics RAC posted can't be of the actual car (or aren't current) since many of the issues you reported seem like they would be very apparent to see in them.

17. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Three quick points please:

The pics that RAC posted are low res and not close up. They conveniently glossed over numerous significant issues present with the car. Close up pics of the items I referenced will speak for themselves.

Secondly, please reread RAC's description in their ad. This car was nowhere close to the gem they glowingly gushed about. I have Norwood Italia's written PPI (in addition to my own) that corroborates this.

Thirdly, I have no horse in the race other than helping my fellow FChatters. If someone wants to go buy it and pay big $$$, God Bless 'em - it just makes the 4K mile, time-capsule example sitting in my garage all the more special.

I only re-engaged when someone stupidly suggested that I was trying to manipulate the market by disparaging this car. I have nothing more to say about this car at this point. Happy hunting to all!!

18. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Great post!!

19. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    The car still for sale?

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I was thinking the same, flood car

Can someone post pics of the PPI so we can see just how bad it really is?

The truth is usually in the middle somewhere.

:)

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Still listed as sold.