Brakes - how long should they last? | FerrariChat

Brakes - how long should they last?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by seateddime, Jun 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am wondering if at 8000 miles I could need brakes? The do squeak but the car has on 8000 mi.

I also have had a light watery/oil drip when I drive it. If it sits there is none but it seems everytime I take her out this happens since the Dealer did the normal annual service about 400 miles ago.

I do worry because she is a 2010

2. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Squeaking is not an indication of needing new brakes. They should last much longer than 8000 miles unless she's been tracked. There are a couple of previous threads addressing this exact question regarding brake life.

3. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Do you know how to get the squeaking to stop? Its sort of annoying.

4. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They should last for 1 day to roughly outlasting the car.

Squeaking is dust build up, wash with mild soap and water.

The Dealership can tell u when they are worn out via computer. A bit of advice - please be sitting down when they quote u all 4 corners. They will say it with a straight face also.

5. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    The drip is condensation and soot from the exhaust. I had a 2009 and had the same issue. All the earlier cars had this and is normal although annoying. It comes from the center of the car at one of the joints in the exhaust pipe. Spray Nine does a good job of cleaning up the garage floor.

Squeaking is also normal and will go away after washing the dust away. My 2014 squeaks as well but goes away every time I wash the car.

6. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Carbon ceramic brakes will last a REAL long time if the car is just used on the road. But only about 1 Indy 500 race, which I am guessing is never going to be an issue?

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    With 27,000+ miles on a 2010 Cali and 27,000+ miles now on my '12 Cali brake pads are very long lasting, unless you drive the crap out of it. Rotors are no worry (for the most part) then simply don't wear. Pad life highly depends on driving style. I took my first Cali to the Mid Ohio race course, hitting 140 mph at the end of the long straight after 1.5 hours of practice and instruction, for a total of 2.5 hours of track time that weekend. The car had about 21,000 miles at that time. The pads were totally worn out at the end of the weekend, $3,000 for a set of pads plus labor for the entire car. My '12 has not been on the track and they are in great shape. Brake pad wear was pretty even front & rear.

My '12 FF at about 31,000 miles was different, the rears had worn down very close to the sensors. I may have been able to get another 5 or 10K out of them but decided to change the rear pads. The fronts were in great shape. $3,000 just for a set of rear pads, plus labor of course. With the huge rear tires on the FF they use a lot of rear brake bias to stop the heavy beast :) and ABS keeps them from slipping.

Rotors, your computer will track your usage. The carbon SLOWLY leaches out of the rotors. Eventually the computer will tell you it is time to WEIGH the rotors and then you will know if the rotors need changed. There is a very large number stamped on each rotor that says the weight limit.

Finally, squeaking brakes. You are simply NOT HAVING ENOUGH FUN! :D To get the brakes to stop squeaking take her up to 70 mph or more and STAND ON THE BRAKE, even into the ABS. The squeaking will stop and you won't believe how fast she stops.

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #8 RickLederman, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    I also should have mentioned, if you change your own wheels like I do between winter and summer you must get the wheel mounting tool from Ricambi, order two of them. It prevents you from smacking your wheel onto the rotor, damaging the rotors. Ferrari Parts, Accessories, and Performance Products - Ricambi America, Inc. . I keep them in the carrying case for my electric impact wrench. If your dealer or tire change guy doesn't have them, insist that they use yours. It can save you a $25,000 rotor.

9. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    $25000 rotor? Did you mean $2500, I hope?

10. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nope, I don't track the car. Just drive on open Florida road.

11. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher

He does.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Must mean set of four. They are about $7200 each

13. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Oops. I was thinking wheels instead of rotors.

14. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Funny thing is to see how much more Ferrari charges for these rotors, compared to what a set of rotors cost for a Corvette. It's the same rotor.

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    A full set of brake pads for a 2010 Cali are $3,000 alone. My FF REAR pads alone were $3,000. I'm guessing on the rotor price but was told with my 2010 Cali that a rotor was $20,000 ... yep twenty thousand dollars US. The mechanic may have been wrong but I will bet he was right. One front wheel (not rotor) is $3,000 for my FF. I know, I have had three of them busted due to potholes.

16. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Yeah, my bad--I was thinking that a wheel costs around $2500, not a rotor. Sorry about that.

17. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Still pretty pricey!! I'm used to high costs having owned Aston Martins until I ordered my Cali T. But Ferrari seems to have taken after market prices to another level. Oh well, we can't take it with us................

18. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    I put over 40k miles on my 2010 and no brake issues, just the squeaks. It's annoying but not a safety issue. My New T doesn't have the squeaks, at least not yet

timjen88 likes this.
  19. Grand Tour

Grand Tour Rookie

May 29, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Alan Dalsass
    HAHA!