Mouse belts | FerrariChat

Mouse belts

Discussion in '348/355' started by bayferrari, Jun 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bayferrari

bayferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    William
    Hi all,
    Have a 91 TS with mouse belts that worked fine up to a few days ago. The passenger side still works but the driver side is stopped in the middle of the track and only moves an inch or so when the door is opened or closed, when device is activated.I have tried adjusting and lubing the track but nothing has changed. I'm wondering if this is a drive failure, or could it be a control box failure. I do not know where the control boxes are located, anyone know? Wanted to swap passenger to driver to see if it's controller or not. I can hear the motor trying to move the track, so I don't think it's that.
    I do like the mouse belts and want to continue using them.
    Any help appreciated.

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    The control boxes are located in the center console. They're easy to access by removing the console side panel in the passenger footwell. Don't have a pic here but they're black boxes somewhat larger than a pack of cigarettes.

FWIW, this sounds like a drive cable issue but you're right that it's a whole bunch easier to swap the controllers.

3. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    WHAAAAT! I have never heard such heresy!

;) just kidding, but really you are the first I have ever heard of that actually likes that system. Check for debris around the belt latch that moves along the track.

4. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    What is this system?

How does it work?

5. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    1) A piece of s&#*
    2) Poorly

(shoulder belt runs back and forth along the bottom of the door to comply with U.S. passive restraint laws at the time, then changing to air bags in 355. The mad mouse system usually fails at some point, and is annoying when it does work.)

6. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    LOL!!!

7. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

Blimey

8. bayferrari

bayferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    William
    Well, had a look at the mouse belt system yesterday, removed the covers behind the drivers seat and found the plastic spool which winds and unwinds the belt is damaged, tried to straighten it out but no joy. Would work a couple of times then pop off the spool jamming the mouse. Really don't want to purchase the whole drive assembly, kinda pricy. Just need the plastic spool. Any one have an idea where I could get one? Looks like a pretty inexpensive piece. Don't want to go into the 4 digit area to repair.

9. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    Ferrparts has a TR on their website they are scrapping

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There were so many recalls and TSBs related to that system and its failures, Ferrari has been known to give away a lot of parts for them. You should start by contacting a dealer and seeing if there are any recalls or TSBs that apply to your car. Failing that write to Ferrari and copy in NHTSA on your letter explaining the situation and ask for some support in getting it fixed. Ferrari has said many times that the reason they were not all recalled was so few complained to the NHTSA. Note mileage, VIN, etc on the letter.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think I will heed your advice. Mine on the passenger side stopped working years ago. Driver's side is working like a champ, though.

12. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have the complete working system (mechanicals, controllers, trim pieces (tan)) for both sides if anyone wants to buy any of the complete pieces or assemblies... not looking to get rich selling any of it, I tend to give "hook-up" pricing to my 348 brothers. PM me if interested.