Fairlakes Cars and Coffee - Has been Shut Down! | FerrariChat

Fairlakes Cars and Coffee - Has been Shut Down!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by BillP00, Jun 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    For those of you who have not heard, the Fairlakes Cars and Coffee (aka Kohl's Cars and Coffee) in Fairlakes, VA has been shut down. From their Facebook page www.facebook.com/KohlsCarsandCoffee:

"From VP Asset Mgmt for Peterson: This meet is officially shut down. There will be police on sight from this point forward to write tickets if anyone chooses to violate this. PLEASE DO NOT COME TO KOHL'S CNC NEXT WEEK - doing so would be at your own risk.
    Reasons Given:
    - Unauthorized Use of Private Property
    - Racing through the Neighborhood"

Unfortunately, what was a great event got ruined by a few who liked to show off. :( As the post suggests - PLEASE DO NOT GO TO FAIRLAKES NEXT WEEKEND (June 14, 2015). I have heard people make comments that they are going to go just to have coffee in their classic/exotic car - PLEASE DON'T DO THIS. You will only be instigating the police.

Bill P.

2. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    If you patron one of the establishments, what will they ticket you for? Assuming your car is fully legal.

3. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Also if anyone is looking for a new event, we now have Cars and Coffee in Alexandria on Sundays!
    Home

4. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I was at Fair Lakes on the early side this past Sunday. Did not witness any bad behavior, but heard many others did, especially from the significant New American muscle crowd. What a shame.

5. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
  6. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    This is a shame. I worry our West Chester PA event will soon suffer a similar fate. I guess it's inevitable as what was once a small, informal get together becomes a large meet -- and to some a nuisance.

7. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It is hard to enforce though. Say I knew NOTHING about this event and I was visiting down there in my Viper. I happened to patronize one of the stores, and I got stopped. What then?

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I am really sorry Bill. Been following the Meetup thread. What a shame. Fairfax needs a central C&C and Kohl's was a huge success. I know it meant a lot to you, and that you were contributing significant time and talent to the event. Very sad, you have my condolences.

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  10. 12.3:1

12.3:1 Rookie

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    they will likely treat you like they do when you are passing through Philadelphia area street races in a...non-pedestrian...vehicle. they will pull you over, ask you a bunch of questions and it's up to you how to handle it.

though this is surely different as it's apparently private property, given the reasons provided.

11. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This is something that could happen to all cars and coffee events. The only thing I can suggest is that the organizers make up little handouts/fliers and pass them out asking people NOT to peel out and make a disturbance when leaving the event.

Agreed. I simply wanted to warn people about this. I mean...sure one person honestly goes to Starbucks in his Ferrari to get a cup of coffee, but if 2 or 3 more cars show up...then it's a car meet and who know how the police will handle it? Either asking people to leave or to start issuing tickets? Who knows.

Bob, thanks for the concern. But to be honest...this was NOT my event. I simply served as a contact person for the Ferrari Club since I (used to) frequent the event a lot. It was so close to my home. You're right it was a huge success! I remember when this event only took up 1 row of parking spaces. This past Sunday when I was there, I had to park in the "Auxillary Lot" which is the small parking area to the side of Kohls next to I-66. Unfortunately too many car clubs started frequenting the event and getting there earlier and earlier just so they could get a prime spot.

It's a shame really that a small few ruined it for the rest of us!

Bill P.

12. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    We had about 60 cars meet Sunday at Fairfax Circle at the shopping center just up from the Harley Davidson Dealer on Route 50 from the Kohl's Cars and Coffee group. We will be there again this Sunday. There is a coffee shop there and the lot is large and the shopping center ownership has been notified of our attendance.

We are asking if people attend that they be respectful, drive like an adult, and set a good example to the community and prove that we can enjoy the cars and the fellowship without demonstrating the sound of our exhaust or the smoke off our tires.

FFX City police are aware of the gathering and will help keep things in check for those who seem to want to display bad behavior entering or exiting the lot.

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Leesburg C&C saw about the same attendance. Sorry I missed it. Hopefully next week will be as good. Great venue. Every attendee is a customer and there's no way to do a burnout from the parking lot.