2015 Indy Car | Page 33 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The race was great today. Weather wise we got luck with huge downpours and rain all day. Cleared up just in time for the Indy race. Great racing and amazing control in the tight turns. Be impressed with Luca and was very disappointed with Colette as he was making quite a run to the front before he hit e wall.

Great battles all around. Now just hope I can make mid ohio.

2. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    That is the story of my guy Tom Meade, and I'm giving it my all to change that. Tom had more talent than money. More talent than Enzo's employees. Sons of greats with more money than talent are sadly showing their "lackluster performances" in the design world just like these Indy guys. Oh, for the old days...

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. When barriers of entry are man made to keep talent out, we only dilute the sport further and with it the sport becomes obsolete. The current Indy Car model has done just that.

4. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    On a lighter note, I'm making a funny, but there is something to be said about the yellow flag slowdowns and constant little crashing of the "less talented drivers." Perhaps they feel "too safe" in these modern cars and perhaps the fear of God might bring some of fun of watching back, and surely limit yellows... Just a thought.

5. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
  6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  7. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Well, I suppose RA is good to have on the schedule, but back in the Gentilozzi days, a late day 'fan forum' in a smallish tent held most of the days' fans.....literally, there just hundreds who attended.

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well I hear you, but I don't watch IndyCar because of the crowds it generates. I do agree that it may be challenging in terms of gate, and that's needed, but as a road course, it's a must have IMHO.

The Gentilozzi days were the swan song of Champ Car, hardly a good representation of fan following.

9. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Agreed. I think attendance today would be better. A lot of fans both of the track and of the series would love to see this. Hell, it's a 10 hour drive from where I live and I'm already thinking about making the drive. I haven't been to an Indy race since the Kansas Speedway days.

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No.......we need the brats!!!! R/A is a great time on Labor Day weekend and the food makes the weekend. The race......meh.

11. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Bruggenthies has been 'talking' to Indycar for years; they've always wanted too much money, says he.

RA Indycar may happen, but at the expense of the demise of the Milwaukee Mile.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    You have a keen sense for this!! :D After that race, if I was Indy Car I would have been totally embarrassed. I can't believe they have let this fall as far as they have.

14. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    It was one of good idea, bad execution. New Orleans has hosted Superbowls, Final Four, PGA and is a great tourist destination. They had bad weather but so did Indy qualifying, Bell Isle, and Toronto. The track was built on swampland and with no natural drainage, it couldn't handle there days of rain. I hope Andretti gets paid for all they did and it is a shame it had to come to a federal lawsuit.
    And another race at that track is highly unlikely. They would be better off with the street circuit used for the IMSA races back in the early '90s.

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yawn, stretch, smak-smak...

What is this "Indy Car"?

Tell me about it, everything...

BHW

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  17. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
  18. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    In case you missed it, both Alonso and Vettel expressed interest in doing the Indy 500 this past weekend in Austria. I think it was a combination of factors that made them say it, Hulkenberg's victory at LeMans and Montoya's victory at Indy. So what's your percentage on either of them doing it in the next 5 years?

I got the vibe from the interview that Alonso was more interested than Seb. I think drivers now see the importance of winning in different formulas.

Video (play the first one)
    F1 Paddock Pass: Austrian Grand Prix (VIDEO) | MotorSportsTalk

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There's a better chance of seeing icebergs here in Miami than seeing
    Vettel or Alonso in the Indy 500.

BHW

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Do you think anyone will be willing to pay their retainer?

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Alonso in a Honda could be a possibility, but he'd have to be out of F1 first....

...and then there's this problem...

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Considering the current value and the future value of the formula, I don't think anyone would be making a wise investment into a driver in this series. I certainly think that if both considered LeMans, They may find the waters more friendly in regards to their fees.

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If Indy Car was smart (and that ain't the case) they'd be bending over backwards
    to get a high profile F-1 driver into their ranks.

CART was never so popular and relevant until Nigel Mansell made the leap over
    (as reigning World Champion) to the U.S.

But, can we even remotely imagine such a thing happening now? The modern
    equivalent would be Hamilton leaving M-B to come over.

Just look at all of the former F-1 drivers currently in Formula E which could easily
    move to Indy Cars and they just don't.

And, to say this pay to play phenomenon is something new, well it just isn't. In
    1999 we worked in an attempt to get Tom Kristensen a ride with a CART team
    when CART was a sinking ship in desperate need to a top driver.

The two teams that showed the most interest were Walker and Rahal. While they
    recognized Tom as a top talent it all came down to money. Walker wanted $4M just
    to have a look-in and Rahal's sponsor Shell wanted a driver with "Indy 500 winner"
    on his CV so they chose Kenny Brack.

It's all about money, to think otherwise is pure folly.

BHW

24. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    True, but you must know some of why that is. I'm not anywhere in the know like you or Turbopanzer, but I recall that many F1 guys were horrified at the risk of driving an IndyCar, and recent deaths have done nothing to quell that. Why take the chance? As I heard the story, Piquet was told to be careful, then stuffs his car into the wall and busts his legs up. Dan Wheldon, may he rest in peace, is a big reminder of that danger.

To get a big time guy would mean a lot of what we espouse for change has to happen. Eliminate pack racing. Big BIG HP. Limited aero. Less ovals - Indy and maybe Milwaukee or Fontana (why Texas, Pocono, or Iowa?).

Then - if the name is big enough - throw money at them. Pay to play has been around for a long time, you are right. But this is marketing, and if you need a pop, get yourself a good name. I love the idea of it. Maybe do something like the MLS (soccer) does - get older European stars to create some attention / buzz.

Yup, agreed!