Child safety seat | FerrariChat

Child safety seat

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jim g, Jun 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Could anyone recommend a good child safety seat for my 9 month old son? He's finally getting big enough for a front facing car seat but I need one that's compatible with the Ferrari airbag. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Ferrari makes one that will shut off the airbag automatically. There is no manual switch. Call your dealer's parts department and they can help you

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1

Congrats on the baby! That is going to be one spoiled toddler :D

You can call your dealer and ask him details about the child seat equipped with the BabySmart system.

When installed in the passenger seat this seat shuts off the passenger airbag in the 458.

No manual switch indeed! Installing a BabySmart seat is the only way of shutting of the passenger airbag in the 458, don't ask me how I know.. ;)

4. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    recaro also makes one with narrow bottom for bucket seats. I've used it for years through several kids and several ferraris and lambos. think I got it on amazon.

5. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    If memory serves me correctly the child seat needs to be equipped with the BabySmart
    system in order to correctly interface with the car and shut off the passenger airbag.

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    you are correct...and important given the cabin design and airbag system in the 458.

There are a few buried threads here on this topic, there are some Ferrari-branded kid seats out there and not all were baby-smart equipped (i.e. made for rear-seats).

7. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    when you get the airbag off what confirmation do you get in the car.

It is also my understanding that a forward facing baby seat does not need the aribag deactivated as there would be no contact with the child in an accident as the airbag will not reach the child when restrained property . It is more of a concern when they are in a booster seat.

8. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #8 458trofeo, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    It will say 'passenger airbag off' in green capital letters in the left tft display, but will do so
    only if the BabySmart child seat is connected in the passenger seat, permanently shutting off passenger airbags.

It should also be noted that, as an added precaution as not to injure a child, the passenger airbag is also automatically deactivated if the airbag sensor in the passenger seat senses a passenger of less than 80 lbs sitting in the seat. However, the car does not signal that the passenger airbag is shut off at that moment since it considers this only a 'temporary' occurrence as the airbag reactivates upon the passenger airbag sensor detecting a passenger of more than 80 lbs.

9. Lawin

Lawin Karting

Jul 23, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Larry Nguyen
    Ferrari makes one and charge an arm and a leg for infants. My boy was riding with me since he was well under a year old. As he is now 3, I bought a Mercedes seat that also runs the siemens baby smart sensors and it deactivates the airbags as well. Let me know if that helps.

10. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Google "eagle day babysmart". No affiliation, just where I picked up my booster.

Its odd, I have not seen a Ferrari licensed one that comes with the built in sensors in the US.

11. Head911

Head911 Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Daytona
    Can´t find any information about these child seats?? Isn´t there any other way to disconnect the front airbag? My local Porsche dealer fixed my 911, 400$ with a switch and all.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #12 Melvok, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can help you Carlo !

At Mercedes, it is called Automatic Child Seat Recognition (AKSE).

If you find a correct AKSE "transponder" somewhere in the Internet ($100 or more) you can use any seat.

You can see the R and L orientation ... Fahrer and Beifahrer ... driver and co-driver.

This one comes from an oem Mercedes childrens seat, on Ebay.de Just place your seat over it ... done !

Good hunt ! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. kramsay1234

kramsay1234 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    This is great info - and by the way, that is some crazy custom interior you have in your Ferrari. Is that a new style racing seat?
    Seriously though - I am curious what child seat will fit in the racing seats. Someone mentioned a Recaro narrow seat as an option

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #14 Melvok, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It will say 'passenger airbag off' in green capital letters in the left tft display, but will do so
    only if the BabySmart child seat is connected in the passenger seat, permanently shutting off passenger airbags.

Can you please show us a photo of the message(s) ? My AKSE does not show any message ...

15. Head911

Head911 Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Daytona
    I just bought a Mercedes seat with the sensors in, do I have to have the engine on to see the "airbag off" message? Mine is a 2010 458 Italia. I hope it will work!!!

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no just put the seat in and the light at the ceiling will go on - that's if its a usa car. someone in EU was having an issue either with 458 or FF because those cars don't have the indicator at the roof. you shld be able to just add and remove the seat and the light will go on and off

17. Head911

Head911 Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Daytona
    Thanks for your quick reply, I live in Sweden so I'll check for the light in the roof!! But do all 458 have this BabySmart feature?

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my 458 isn't at my house but in the FF the light says passanger air bag off by the light buttons. I wld think all 458s have them. check the FF forum and search for similar topic. u will find it there

or maybe it was in the 458 forum I don't remember

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  20. Aray

Aray Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andy Ray
    Hi all, I just picked up a 2018 488GTB. I ordered some babysmart transponders off eBay, but I don’t have the “airbag disable” light on the roof that is mentioned and pictured in the thread. I also don’t see an indicator in the left display, or any indicator. Can anyone confirm that they’ve disabled the airbags in a 488? Trying to figure out what I’m missing. My daughter is in a booster, very close to not needing it, but don’t want to cut any corners here. Thanks!