Superperformance Springs 77 308GTB | FerrariChat

Superperformance Springs 77 308GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by phsimone77, Jun 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I am in the planning stages of rebuilding my suspension. I am going to more than likely stick with the OEM parts ie rubber bushings and Koni shocks. However in order to stiffen up the handling a bit I was thinking about stiffening the springs a bit. Does anyone have any experience with the Superperformance uprated springs? I would assume they are the same Free Length as the originals. My other option would be the Eibach. From what I have read the original US 308 GTB springs were about 131/2" and almost 15". I have read that some have used 10" and 12" Eibachs. What is the result of using these shorter springs? Sorry to beat a dead horse.

2. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Love to know where you're going to find Eibachs that fit the stock Konis for 308s- I've searched for 7 years and have never seen these unicorns.

3. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Did not realize that the Eibach Springs would not work with the Koni Sport damplers. What is the hangup?

4. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Once again, thanks for all your help. I am somewhat of a newbie here and this is the first time I have done anything with my Suspension. Contacted Eibach and they do not have a spring set that is compatible with the Koni SP1 or the new SP6 and the 308. So, I guess I will go to the Superperformance offering which from what they have told me will upgrade the springs by approx 20%+ which is about all I was looking for. Not going to track the car just looking to get a little stiffer suspension than the GT setup that was designed for the car. They also shorten them a bit to keep ride height about the same which I do not have a problem with because I like the way the stock 308GTBs look with the original 14s.

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I replaced my rear springs on the GT4 with Hypercoil 7 years ago. I got them 1/2" lower than stock and they are still great. I think they cost me $65 each at the time.

6. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have the superformance uprated springs on my gt4 and 246 dino. On both cars I would say they are great, just being slightly firmer than stock. They don't turn your car into a race car but firm up for a slightly.

7. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thank you for the response. All I am looking for is to firm up from the original to firm it up on braking and diving into an off ramp. Would go the QA-1 route but prefer to keep most of the car original. Not for resale, just because.....

8. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I get the idea of keeping it all original, but...

The QA1 upgrade does nothing to permanently alter the car. And the improvement is pretty remarkable. Once you see your car the ride height that God intended, you are going to wonder what you were thinking all these years. Not to mention the functional improvement. My Konis are on a shelf in my basement. I hope I never have to put them back on again.

9. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Arghhhh! As I have heard it said somewhere. I hear you, and it still is a consideration. Few months down the line, trying to get my options together.

10. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I completely rebuilt my 77 suspension using the QA1/Eibach route years ago. Lets be honest, the 308 waddles like a pig through the turns with the stock suspension.

That being said, I have a completely new set of Koni's as well as my old Koni shocks/springs sitting on a shelf. I would be willing to sell them all if someone was interested in keeping their car stock.

All the best!

Dave

11. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I may be interested, PM sent

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I modified my Koni's with a slip on threaded collar to accept an eibach spring. Ride height is adjustable and spring rates are available in several steps within a wide range. Its reversible but wont be going back to stock until 400's cross the 1/2 mill threshold...
    Now, if only I can find the pictures.

13. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
  14. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Wow, that looks like a nice solution. Thanks so much. The 400GT always intrigued me. Thought about picking one up several times but circumstances no longer allow for that.Although I am in my sixties I have two young boys and would love to have the 2+2. Unfortunately health and recent divorce due to health will not allow me to put another car in my garage. Lucky to have what I have. Putting 308 together ever so slowly, hopefully I will get it done, to pass down to my eldest son he is 13 now. I have had it for 13 years and it is a pretty solid car, but needs a good refresh. Love to restore but that is not in the cards anymore either. Going to put it into trust if need be until he graduates college.

15. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#15 4right, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I rebuilt my suspension a few years ago, rebuilt the original Koni's with Eibach springs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks so much. They look great. Did it improve some of the handling issues that are inherent with the original setup and 30 years or so of deteriorating bushes. Which Eibachs did you use? Do you have part numbers and what was involved? Thanks so much again.
    Phil

17. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I think this is the right way to go. It retains the original look yet gives you the option to change the stance in the wheel well.

19. phsimone77

phsimone77 Karting

Dec 29, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Phil
    George, thanks for your input. That solution is now high on my options list.
    Phil