Salavge title car for sale? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Salavge title car for sale?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jonny Law, Oct 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
  2. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    squeak...squeak...squeak.... :)

3. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Sounds awful shady

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The only 308 I've seen like that was fatal.

5. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    " I am surprised the car was declared a total write-off. The salvage title is forever."

Well in some places......

6. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Yea, it had red flags all over it.

I googled the VIN and several sights came up offering the same car on auction. No telling where it is.

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Hopefully it was parked and unoccupied when it was hit.

8. StevenBarone587

Dec 9, 2013
    Central Texas
    My company is a copart registered dealer. The Copart site is legit, so I would think that if they are listing it, they have direct access to it:
    FERR 308

9. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    You've never met my exgirlfriend.....just saying...

10. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I LOVE the color combo on this car. I'd love to save it!!

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If it's listed on copart's site, it's likely there. They seem pretty legit, but don't seem to let cars go for "nothing". There is no way of knowing who or what you are bidding against in the online auctions so getting a smokin deal usually does not happen.

There are several websites that scavange cars off other peoples sites and list them on their own. That auto bid master is one of them. There are "authorized brokers" that regular people have to go through (and pay) in order to bid on some of coparts cars. These brokers could be setting up sites and listing copart cars.

I know a guy who is a dealer and registered on copart and has bought several cars. It just gets tougher for regular people/public to do the same

12. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    "Fixable", as you call it, isn't the issue. Of course you can "fix" anything...if time & cost are of no particular importance. However the real issue is this: is that particular car worth buying at auction, more or less unseen, for repair within a reasonable dollar amount, or would it be better to purchase a car that hadn't been damaged, instead? There are plenty of 308's around, so it isn't like it's one of the very few remaining examples of whatever. And then there's the issue of the salvage title.... the "kiss of death" for many or even most of us.

I too have rebuilt cars from the ground up- rotisserie and all- with major body & chassis damage and lots of missing components that had to be replaced. All were rebuilt to original specifications, using nearly all original components, where possible. However they were reasonably unusual vehicles, and did not carry the stigma of a salvage title. Of course, I kept full records of what had been done, including photos during restoration.

Personally, everything considered, it's my opinion that the car in question is most likely a write-off, for reasons I've already given. That doesn't preclude someone taking it on as a challenge but from a financial point of view- especially when it comes to resale value- it doesn't look like it would make much sense.

Cheers,
    Rich

13. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    So what is the advantage to using a broker versus doing the bidding myself? Thx

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    No worries.

GA makes it very hard to operate a salvage title car on public roads. Most insurance companies and banks will not work with a salvage title car either. Other states may have similar title laws, meaning the market for a euro car will be that much smaller. GA is fine with euro spec cars with clean titles where I live.

I have been looking for a euro QV or a GT40 kitcar, but this market is nuts now. I would think a repaired euro car would be hard to sell in the USA, so exporting it with a salvage title may be the way to go , after repairs?

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    As I understand it for copart...

On some cars you simply cannot bid unless you are a registered/licensed bidder on copart.

To get access to certain cars, you need to prove you are in the car business: dealer, dismantler, auto related etc...

If you are just a regular guy like me you would need to use an affiliated (local) broker to submit your bids or know someone registered with them to bid on your behalf.

16. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    This was my car. May 25 2014 I was going through an intersection and a ford ranger ran a stop sign and took me out. Speed of impact...about 25-30 mph. I owned it for 15 years, someone spotted that I re-did the interior, that is correct. I rebuilt the motor and put 10:1 pistons in it, its a pretty fast 308. It has an ANSA exhaust on it, ceramicoated headers, but is stock otherwise. Someone spotted that it was a German car, that is correct. I was pretty banged up and a little dazed, but not seriously hurt....I walked away. This was my first Ferrari, and I cared for it for 15 years....I hope someone will care for it for another 15.

17. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Good News you're ok Myles,

Sorry about the car of course. Hope someone is "brave enough" to give a try.

again glad you're ok ... Bob

18. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    Thanks Bob. I miss my car :(

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I once took a hit that caved my driver's side door in, like that.

The issue is, the replacement door does not fit the old opening!

My hit was not THAT bad, it didn't effect adjacent panels

20. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Its interesting to see how well the 308 took that hit. Glad to hear the owner is well and on this site! What a gorgeous car that was and i hope it is restored back to its former glory!