Wheres my alloy bodied 275 GTB/2 # 08255 | FerrariChat

Wheres my alloy bodied 275 GTB/2 # 08255

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by grahapk, Feb 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grahapk

grahapk Rookie

Jan 28, 2006
    I sold this car 35 years ago for $7,700 to a Dr. in Long Beach Ca., having not really known what I had at the time...I know, I know, I should have put it in the garage with a car cover but I was only 20 and really needed the money. Anyway, I came across an old picture of it the other day and decided to post it in the hopes that someone who owns this car might be interested in its history during my ownership which was very brief. Looking forward to hearing from you.

For photo see attached link: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=377465

-Phil

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'd love to hear the story of how a 20 year old came to be the owner of a alloy 275GTB.... must be intersting =)

3. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    I don't know who owns this car right now, but I would be interested to hear how you got it and who/where you got it from. You don't remember the doctor's name who you sold it to? Just curious

-Jarrett

4. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Can't find it in my data base of 275 2 cams. You may check with the ferrarimarketletter. Let us know. I am sure 7,000 was a lot of money back then.

5. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    S/N 08255 was owned 1972 by Ric Calabrese, Glendale, CA/USA. Then in 1978-1979 it was with by Charals Haagen, Beverly Hills, CA/USA. After that I lost track of it.

Gerald

6. driven

driven Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    NW PA
    Full Name:
    Jack Launtz
    Sounds a lot like me... I bought a '65 2 cam back in '68 right after I graduated from college. Things were simpler then: I had a job, and with a co-signer, I managed to get a bank loan. I bought it from Algar for $8500, and traded it on a new Mangusta about a year later (Not one of my smarter deals). Got $7500 for it on the trade against the $11,500 cost of the new Goose. Still have the Goose--wish it was the GTB. Lost track of the GTB as well. It was #6751.

7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Try Mike Sheehan. He had it for sale at the end of the eighties. There's a picture of it in his advertisement in Cavallino issue 55, page 6. Looks very nice. Do you remember the wheels?

Ciao, Peter

p.s. the price in the advertisement was 725,000 dollars...!

8. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    275GTB s/n 7651 was driven in the 2005 Tour de España and in the 2005 Tour Auto by Paul Verbeek of Belgium.

EDIT!!!!!!! The above information is for 7651, sorry!

275GTB s/n 6751 was owned by David Livingston of Washington in the late 1989/early 1990s. He bought it from Sheehan for a bit over $500,000, if you were interested.

-Jarrett

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

D'OH!

10. grahapk

grahapk Rookie

Jan 28, 2006
    First of all, I would like to thank all of you who responded to my inquiry and those of you who will continue to respond.
    During my high school years I worked part time for a market chain and on the side I helped my older brother buy and sell cars, VW, Porsche mostly. I basically had no life during this time, but I did save quite a bit of money and developed a passion for Ferrari's in the process. I began corresponding with a dealer in Italy who had many, many Ferrari's for sale and advertised in Road and Track magazine.
    Upon graduating H.S. in 1969, my brother and I took a well deserved 5 week backpacking trip to Europe to visit my sister in Spain, although all I could think of was hooking up with Mr. Vianio Corrideani (I’m not sure on spelling) in Milan
    Mr. Corrideani picked us up at the train station in a beautiful 330 or 365, I can't remember, and drove us through town as only an Italian can do. We ended up at his warehouse where he had a collection of many fine autos, various Dinos, and front engine V12's. Also, an assortment of other cars like Lambo 400's, Murias and a few 300SL gull wing’s (About thirty cars all together, but no 275's). My brother and I drove many of those cars that day and I will never forget it. As we left he said that he would let me know when he had a nice car for me.
    In 6 months time I received information on a silver/black 275 w/16,000 klm for $6,500 including shipping to Long Beach....I did it.
    When the car arrived, in L.B. it was pretty banged up from the trip and it was very hard to get started, thank God for Either Spray. I did most of the body work (Bondo, it hurts to say it) my self and had the pros finish up with the paint, etc. It was during this time I was told that the body was alloy, which didn’t mean much to me at the time. For the next 7 months I had the time of life and could not park that car anywhere without someone standing around it before and after I returned. It was in1970, I was 20 years old , going to city college, living at home and no job
    After several visits to Hollywood sports cars for MINOR repairs, I realized I would be unable to maintain this car that I had worked so hard for. I then decided to call a Dr. Abby Dodd who I met several months earlier, who expressed an interest in the car. I sold it to him the following week for $7,700.
    Four months later, my friend got me a job working on the docks driving Ferrari's and other exotics (http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=379838) off the ships down the streets to different holding lots where they were sorted and distributed to Ca. dealers, what a FUN job, if only it were 4 months earlier I could of kept the car.
    Anyway that' my story on the 275, hope I didn’t go on to long. Thanks for your interest.
    -Phil

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=379836
    http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=379837

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Photo's.

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    GREAT story! Thank you! Original owner in Italy was Sig. Buzzetti.
    BTW, the dealer's name was Viviano Corradini in Milan.
    Marcel Massini

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Great story and pics!
    Good Luck on your search.

Wolfgang

14. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Terrific story- thanks for sharing!

15. Nazual89

Nazual89 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    I really loved the story. The pictures really brought back a lot of memories :)

16. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    How interesting!! Thank you for sharing the story!!

17. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Amazing story, fabulous pics! Any more of those?

18. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I had dinner Friday Night at Royal Auto mobile club at a Le Mans Historic dinner and sat next to a nice guy that said he had an alloy 275gtb 2 cam. He said that they only made 6 of them. The unusual thing about his car was that it origianlly had solid (magnesium) wheels and not Borrani's. It appears that your car has the same wheels. If there were only 6 made there can't be too many with that combination. However as it was the UK I would have assumed that it was a right hand drive car?

19. Nazual89

Nazual89 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Look at the pictures he posted, it shows.

20. grahapk

grahapk Rookie

Jan 28, 2006
    Bump to the top. Any updates.

21. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Catalog description states that it is a torque tube, but this car pre-dates torque tube production doesn't it?

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    08255 was repainted Blu Scuro in 2012 and was still being offered for sale by French dealer Jean Guikas (GTC, Marseille) as late as February, 2013.

Here, you can see that it is listed as "SOLD" on his website: 1966 FERRARI 275 GTB/2 LONG NOSE ALLOY

24. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    According to barchetta;

Since 2008:

08 - Tiziano Carugati, Geneva, CH - red/black (financed by Jean Guikas)
    09/jan - offered by Carugati
    10/apr/30 - NS - Bonhams' Monaco auction - highbid €600,000.-; estm. €680-840k
    10/aug/15 - NS - Gooding & Co Pebble Beach auction - Estm.: $950k-1,2mio
    11 - offered through the year by Jean Guikas, Marseille, F
    11/oct/26 - NS - RM's Automobiles of London auction - highbid PDS 635,000.-
    11/nov - still offered by Jean Guikas' GTC Sarl., Marseille, F

To the last 4 years of history should add what Wayne well said.

Nick.

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The earliest car that I have with torque tube is 08337.