What is everyone doing for front license plate? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is everyone doing for front license plate?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by futureferraribuyer, Jun 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think the Velcro idea is great! You can put it on in high risk areas when parked. I usually get the ticket when I am parked in metered parking. I figured out that it's just a fix it ticket so I just pay the full amount on the ticket and not do the fix it thing. No problems so far!

2. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    I have one of these.
    It's quick.
    It's easy.
    It's clean.

Sent from my iPhone
    (which probably means I'm sitting at my car confused)

3. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I haven't run with a front plate on 2 out of three cars for years now. No problems except for one. A few years ago I parked in the long-term lot at LAX and was greeted with a $25 tax to the LA city treasury upon my return from vacation. So each time I park there now, I just hang my front plate with a coat hanger before hopping the shuttle to the terminal. F*ck California and the city of LA.

4. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi all,

Moving to LA soon and wanted to get the latest info on how the police are about front plates. Do many of you run in LA without front plates? If so, have you been ticketed for it? Trying to figure out if I really need to drive around with an ugly front plate on my car.

Dave

5. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Not in LA but north a bit in Santa Barbara. I've had at least one car without a front plate for the last several years. Never had a problem while driving, but very easy to get tickets while parked on the street or in public lots/garages. About $50 a shot.

6. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    went to south pasadena for lunch this week. while at lunch got a $108 no front license plate ticket from a meter maid. will not go back there for lunch. :)

7. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    p.s. @maranellodave - in response to your question, my note above is an exception more than the rule. i've been in LA for almost 20 years and this 'no front plate' ticket was a first. so it's possible to get a ticket but at least in my experience not a frequent occurrence.... and welcome to paradise!

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the main concern is parking, not driving. If I'm hearing you correctly, cops rarely ticket you for no front plate and, when they do, it's only $25. The problem is the meter maids who often ticket (all about revenue generation) and those tickets are more like $50-$100.

Still believe a removable plate is the solution. With that, I could pop it on the car if I need to park. It's too bad the Chair Pilot holders are no longer available. May need to build one myself once I get out to LA.

9. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    Big Mike's Performance Parts has custom made Show-N-Go license plate frames. They did a special lot of 100 for the Jag F-Type which works well on my car. They do custom ones too. If someone in the San Francisco area provides a car for them to examine, they can fabricate. The one for the Jag uses an existing hole under the bumper for install. Single bolt install and looks great. Can be removed in seconds and cannot see the mount when plate holder is removed.

Quick Release Front License Plate Bracket for Car Shows | Quick Release License Plate | Aftermarket License Plate | STO N SHO

10. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    If you call the issuing department you'll most likely get an option to send in a picture of the plate attached to the car and have it reduced to $10.

As for attaching it to the car, zip-tie it to the grill and insert two screws in the upper license plate holes (not into the car though). They always check for screws in the picture...to make sure you don't take it off the car immediately afterwards :)

11. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Karting

Jun 28, 2013
    Hermosa Beach,Ca
    Full Name:
    R
    what front license plate??? ;)

12. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    #37 Roupin, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles

thanks! paid $10 and done. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Blaski

Blaski Rookie

May 26, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    DJ Blaski
    I don't have a front plate on either one of my Ferraris nor on my Porsche. I have been pulled over for other things, but I have never been ticketed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My front plate is attached to Chaitpilots quick release and it's in my trunk ready anytime for use just in case.

16. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Don't use a front license plate on any of my cars.

Kai

17. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    Cops do not give tickets for no front plate..Its the Dam Parking Patrol!!!

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I solved the problem of what to do with the front plate.

I moved to Nevada. :)

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They do at LAX. The cycle cops there just look for infractions like no front plate. They are LAPD.

20. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Of course under the guise of post 9/11 - heighten security measures at airports.
    And yes, I received one of these at LAX as well.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One day I intentionally tried to get an idea on how many cars didn't have a front plate in LA.

My estimate was about 5%, which surprised me. I figured only sports cars would ignore them. But, I found a lot of ordinary cars and trucks didn't have them or they fell off or they never bothered to put it on in the first place. Or, maybe they just thought they were ugly.

So if you think about it, you can sit in LAX all day long and hit one after another with a fine just as long as you want.

In addition, if you park at Lot C, its owned by LA country. They have special LAPD guys in electric carts whose only job is to drive up and down all day long and write no front plates tickets in that lot while you are on your trip.

Then you get a nice "welcome back to LA!" surprise in the form of a ticket on your window after your long day of travel. How thoughtful!

22. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    #47 need4speed, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    I saw a GT3 RS a few days ago with a mini bumper sticker of his license plate on the front of his car. I found the website when I got to work that day. But I can't seem to find it now. I can only guess that the reason he had that on his car was to get around the front license plate issue. I'll post a link when I find it again.

Found it:

http://bumperstickerlicense.homestead.com/Main.html

23. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I got pulled over at LAX...He gave me a warning because I keep the plate under the seat...

24. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I havent had a front plate for many years.. Once in a while u get a fix it ticket.. Put it on temporarily, get it signed off at the sheriff office, then take it off. its about $30.00.. I dont think they enforce that law as much in LA, since the red light cameras are not operating anymore..

25. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #50 ag512bbi, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017