At what point were Ferrari bodies no longer made on wooden bucks? | FerrariChat

At what point were Ferrari bodies no longer made on wooden bucks?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Pantdino, Jun 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Possibly related to the "vintage era" question, what were the first cars to have body sheet metal made by a stamping machine as opposed to pounding out by hand on a wooden buck?

Jim Oddie

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I don't know the answer, but I visited Scaglietti in the "Lusso" era and was told that the parts were stamped in Torino and assembled at Scaglietti's.

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    275 GTB's were built using metal dies and power hammers. I believe PF Coupes also used metal dies. TdF's were probably wooden bucks.

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Out of curiosity, would you say the same for the Boano/Ellena being a wooden buck?

5. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Can you clarify what the metal die and power hammer system is?

Is it what someone might call a stamping machine, where a flat piece of sheet metal is placed on the die and an hydraulic or gravity-driven piston comes down and presses it into a formed piece?

If so the cars must have been assembled from multiple fairly small pieces because the cars were frequently noticeably asymmetric.

6. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Having stripped one to bare, the Lusso's bodywork is a patchwork of smaller, simple (non-compound) curved sections butt welded together; even the roof is done like that.

john

7. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    A wooden buck for the 1964 500 Superfast was exhibited at L'Idea Ferrari in Florence in 1990.

Of course this was a low volume model (36 made) but I wonder if the use of wooden bucks differed, depending upon the complexity of the form or the individual body builder -Pininfarina, Scaglietti or, in the case of some competition models, Neri & Bonacini.

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
  9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Power hammers are not the large stamping machines, but rather hand held devices that eliminate having to swing your arms to provide blows to shape metal.

Be careful in your conclusions about seeing wooden bucks. Most of the low production Italian cars used a wood buck as a pattern for the metal dies. You can find photos of wood bucks for Boxer's, Daytona's, GTB's Lusso's, etc. However, the later production cars were usually built over metal dies.

10. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    There is a bit of confusion here...
    The wooden buck is necessary to make the first body always, especially if it 'll be useful for a prototype, an one-off car, a show-car or the pattern for a steel production. This is typical of the aluminium low-series production.
    It isn't possible to make a mold for a metal dies from a wooden buck directly, because it's necessary a resin model to set up the mold, which is the second step. This is typical of every high-series steel production. So every steel production needs resin models, even for a single detail.

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am not sure about other models, but the Daytona body panels were pressed out into small sections, the front and rear ends of the car [ clips] were welded together off the car, and then assembled onto the car in a folding light blue metal frame / jig. See the photos in the the book Ferrari Daytona super profile by Nathan Beehl.
    I have photos of the whole build process but not the copyright so I am unable to post them.

12. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim

Where did you get the photos of the whole build process? That would be fascinating to see.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #13 Wheels1, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    All over the place really.
    The Internet, private photos, E-bay, lots of magazines [ I have just bought a mint 1969 l' Auto Journal with a great article about the Daytona and the manufacturing process], Neil Bruce, ten 8x10" photos from the Klemantaski collection, etc. etc.

14. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #14 Pantdino, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    #15 121Designer, Jun 24, 2015
    Not always... The Nembo Spiders, Thomassimas and all of Tom Meade's Ferraris were each fabricated using manichinos made of a steel wire framework. A heavier version would be built for higher runs than say ten cars, as Tom explained to me. He was mentored by Fantuzzi, who was responsible for building racing Mazeratis and then most racing Ferraris later, as the productions were being handled by others. Marcel Massini wrote a very good article about Fantuzzi for "Ferrari Marketplace Magazine" describing the cars Fantuzzi built and the methods he used. The resolution is not real good, so if someone has a better copy that would be great.

COACHBUILD.com - Fantuzzi article by Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 121Designer

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    #16 121Designer, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    That is a pretty rough butt weld, but something like that I guess in very tight places could occur. Larger pieces with straighter edges were hammered and made to overlap on the manichino. A line was scratched into the lower of the two panels overlapping and that excess was cut off. So those overlapping areas needed to be similar. They had this down to an art for sure. A hammer and a sand bag and even tree stumps created many early Ferraris.

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

18. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I am amazed that Ferrari used this primitive tech, with multiple small pieces welded together.
    Bristol used a rubber die in their production, as rubber is easily manufactured and much cheaper than a steel die. Lasts for hundreds of pressings of the sheet metal is Aluminium.

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #19 Wheels1, Jun 25, 2015
    I think the photo of Alberto's Dino show repaired crash damage before he repaired it. Ferrari did a much neater job with smooth seams.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 121Designer

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    I was trying to be a nice fabricator...Your image is how Tom described it. Factory panels were over-lapping all over the body as it was assembled. Then, at the end, the panels were cut and butt welded. These were usually clean straight cuts, which were easiest to repeat, but not always (never) symmetrical on both side. Enzo was known to say something like, "no one see both sides of the car at the same time."

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Boxer, the 512, was the last one to use a wooden buck, to the best of my knowledge.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As late as the 308.

The engine lid of that car is three or four stampings, welded together

23. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    A few comments. That is an example of a crude repair from an accident where someone tried to re stretch the material that was creased during the incident. If one looks in the spare parts manuals of some models, i.e.: 330GT, you will see that repair panels could be ordered. Having done metal work on numerous cars those replacement panels offered is how the models were put together. The panels were stamped panels hammered welded together. A little different that butt welded. Hammer welding is a process where as the weld is done it is hammered and dollied flat to relieve and stress to both panels and help towards a clean finish after which it would be picked and filed. Some panels as late as 330GT were hammered formed on a wooden buck. The rear trunk panel, where the rear license plate mounts, are hammered formed. These I have seen on numerous models. Inner engine compartment panels also. They were crudely left as the lead and finish men took over to prep for paint. Most of the Italian carozzerias used the wooden buck, stump and power hammer method in metal forming.
    When did that completely stop? Not sure. But I can say that from working on these cars some form of wood used in shaping metal was used thru the 330GT series. One can go to the Brandoli website and see that this method still in use.
    Cory

24. Olimpi

Olimpi Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    Full Name:
    David D. Olimpi
    At Algar in 1970 I bought a 1966 275 GTB that had been traded in at the local Oldsmobile dealer. The car had been in an accident and the entire nose was flattened back to the engine lid. We decided that it would be more cost effective to purchase an entire new front clip. A while latter a wooden crate arrived at our parts department with the new sheet metal. It appeared to be a one-piece nose section that extended halfway back each fender. My recollection is that we paid approximately $900 at that time.
    D a v e

25. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Interesting story...and amazing times..900USD...imagine what that would cost now.