is safe to run your F Only one time in a month? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

is safe to run your F Only one time in a month?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by leopoldo, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Time to sell it!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Aha. Did not know that. Thanks...T

3. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    E io no!

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    To keep the compressor seals limber and lubricated, mainly. Also good for the expansion valve, assuming the car has one. Definitely good advice-- an unused A/C system typically develops leaks sooner than one that is used regularly. The old rule of thumb is to use it once a month, even in the winter.

5. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Unless you live in Sweden. A short trip on the Ferrari sized tyres would certainly mean a major rebuild due to a crash!

6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    When I cannot drive as way too cold or 7Feet of snow I keep on a charger. Run for 30-40 minutes once a month. Operate everything. Run back and forth to turn over the lubricants in the trans. Inflate tires to 40-45 lbs to keep from flat spotting. Wether you drive the tires or not they will be degraded and dangerous after 5 years anyway. Can also park with the tires on a pile of rugs. Keep a preservative on all leather,rubber,door trim,etc. Of course put away with fresh fluids and a preservative in the gas. Preferably no alcohol gas with stabil and it should be good for 2 yrs. Keep 2 rat traps under the car in the garage loaded with a peanut in shell just incase one finds its way into the garage. A rodent in a car besides interior damage can mean a complete rewhire. GTS Bruce

7. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    So sad to see this thread. As a surgeon I see people dying and suffering everyday. Just to own a Ferrari should be just a blessing to each of us that "kindness" is what we are all about. Physicians should know better. In life you are all about your kind heart and really nothing else. No need to judge people or their intentions. Each to his own

8. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    Here is how I look at it. If you bought this car as an investment, then you should feel comfortable putting on miles as you probably believe the price on all ends of the spectrum will go up. 100 kilometers a month is only 1200/yr - in 10 years the car will still be considered low miles for it's age so theoretically you should be able to sell it for a profit.

That would be my definition of an investment.

Plus, not driving the car at all is just begging for all sorts of issues which could cost you the difference between driving it and not driving it.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm hoping this comment wasn't directed at my comments... in case this was please see below:
    1) An opinion was sought, it was given
    2) OP didn't like the opinion nor any of the snarkiness that was delivered with it, however the data that was supporting it. No judging. Delivering opinion. It's kinda like..
    A patient comes in with a headache. You do an MRI and its indeed a mass. It's excisable so you remove it. Path report comes back as "GBM RPA class V". You go back in and what do you tell them? Are you "kind" and tell them they're going to do fine and life will be great? Or do you use evidence that suggests a mean survival time in months. So you tell them mean survival time. They get mad at you, "you're wrong.. I'm being mis-diagnosed". But you were asked for your medical opinion.
    3) IF you read what OP had most issue with it was a socio-political opinion supported by current world events and economic indicators.
    4) It's the internets. See (hehehe) and winks after comments to connote light hearted intent. Careful reading into things here.

10. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    Yup. I understand but often bad news can be given in a kind way. All I do is cranial neurosurgery and deal with GBM patients every week. I agree with you that you cannot change this but you can give bad news kindly. That is what I teach my residents. If someone has a bad problem still deliver the news kindly. In regards to cars each to his own. All of us on this site see some weird questions and opinions and I agree the world is in a total mess but better to make more friends than enemies. Europe needs our kindness.
    Best
    Gavin

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is an excellent post. Thank you for this.

12. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014

Parts of the U.S are in worse shape than Greece. Americans are forever being told how bad the rest of the world is until they travel abroad and realize just how dull and restrictive(and poor) the US is.

Middle class Americans: Not so wealthy by global standards - Jun. 11, 2014

More than half of US public school students live in poverty, report finds | Money | The Guardian

Census data: Half of U.S. poor or low income - CBS News

To the OP, running the car for 15min is probably a dumb idea.

13. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I hope your post is not aimed at me? Not a Physician, just a Tooth Fairy.
    Or like Physicians say in Sweden, " a far rat in the backyard of Medicine".

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Europe doesn't need kindness it needs about $150 Billion. (chuckle) :)

Agree on compassion and kindness... but as for what approach to take on this site, to each his own. Cheers. :)

15. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Europe is fine, as long as US does not drag us down into another recession like last time!
    You see, most of Europe is too cold to live in a trailer or on a park bench like so many Americans seems to do!
    US dies need a but more than 150 Billion, the sum it needs counts in Trillions.
    Enough of International Politics from me.

Lets us enjoy a friendly discussion about our cars instead!

16. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Do you any of you have stamp collections?

If so, why are you not using those stamps for the purpose they were built?

Mail them!

17. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005

First of all do you know the US debt?...it is in the trillions.
    While Italy' s debt, as all of the EU nations, is all inclusive = entire national debt = all the provinces. comuni (township), etc...you may find it surprising that the US debt that everybody quotes is only the Federal one...and...when you add the states, counties and cities debt you will find that our debt is at the par if not worse then Greece.

18. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What are you doing with your coin collections?

Just admiring them? Waiting for them to go up in value?

Spend them now! They're legal tender, and the sky is falling!

19. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I like aged Greek Feta cheese.
    Buying Greek Feta cheese ( Greek, not a foreign copy) is my help to Greece!

If the Greeks call it F1eta I will buy wven more of it!

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Not trying to single anyone out...

But this is what I mean... "chuckle" and a smiley... having conversations with people who take themselves so seriously and take everything as offensive. *sigh*

Actually nobody can give you a precise number on what US debt is... I've seen between $16 and $18 trillion dollars as it changes each second. I actually prefer total debt per capita... in which case a few other countries are par for the course. The problem is, its all confidence isn't it. Confidence and contracts. I'm not going to go P+R..

Back to original post: It ain't my car, I'd buy a 488 over a scud.. so don't care a bit what the OP does to the car or how it affects future resale.

21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Some people like to watch.

22. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    How about wine?

23. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Don't drink it. Save it, so you can sell it off later. Store your bottles upright on window ledges in full sunlight to keep them fresh. Pick up each bottle about once every other month and shake it as hard as you can for five minutes. Sleep well every night and dream about the future.

24. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here's the best use of a Ferrari:

UBER!

Hey, they were made to be driven, why not make up to $21 an hour driving yours?

Then you can add to the new thread: "Funniest/Stupidest things fares have said in your Ferrari as you drove them to the airport."

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I start my Ferrari once every 3 months, it's all good. :eek: