Sold my 82 GTSI for $41.9k | FerrariChat

Sold my 82 GTSI for $41.9k

Discussion in '308/328' started by Quetzel, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quetzel

Quetzel Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Sugar Grove, Il
    Full Name:
    James Jenke
    Might be nice to hear what a car ACTUALLY sold for - vice a lot of supposition.

Few weeks ago - some of you advised a member who was selling an 82 GTSI - with 55k miles - that his thought of marketing it at $42.5 was a bit too ambitious.

Others weighed in that $38.5k might be better. Some opined that $42.5k was too cheap.

Anyway, with this VERY SAGE ADVICE under my belt I put my 82 GTSI - 33k miles - very nice shape - in Auto Trader for $41.9k. Sold at full price in 6 hours.

Car was bought over the phone - sight unseen. No request for an Agent to inspect or drive. Nothing. Money wired in 8 hours.

Car hauler took it to California (I'm in Chicago) the next day. Buyer says he wants it as daily driver. He has had 308's before.

Took me 10 days to remember to cancel the ad. Had around 4 calls on the car in that time - so the phone was not ringing off the hook. I didn't develop the seriousness of subsequent callers - as the car had sold immediately. I did get one BS call prior to the sale.

Right time - right buyer?

Sometimes the first offer - is the best/last offer?

I do think one or two of the other offers would have proven fruitful.

So.....for what it's worth - I'm signing out of the chat room. Been great stealing tips from you guys.

So what's an 82 GTSI worth? Well, what someone will pay for it.

I know - the car should continue to appreciate very nicely. Mine did. But I made out...............very well :)

But at 66 - I'm not going to hold any cars for 5-10 years at this point. And it had to go to someone who would use it. In Chicago, it's stored for almost 6 months yearly. Wasn't' fair to the car. She was too special for that.

Without question, most beautiful piece of art I ever - or will ever - own.

Been a pleasure.

2. Quetzel

Quetzel Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Sugar Grove, Il
    Full Name:
    James Jenke
    The car sold so fast - I didn't get some messages of interest from some readers of Ferrarichat.

Sorry.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't think you left much, if any, money on the table. Better to take the cash and dash than be left holding a pocketful of wishes.

4. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Congratulations on your sale! Happy too that you did well financially. From your description and price I would say the buyer did very well also. Best...

5. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
  6. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Congratulation on your sale. At this point it doesn't matter if you left any money on the table. Don't look back thinking the what ifs. It is what it is. Also, congratulations to the new buyer! Great buy!!

7. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I was totally going to uh um give you 70k for it

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Like has been mentioned numerous times before...something is worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay for it at the time... As long as both parties walked away happy it was a great deal. You getting something to replace it?

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think you did pretty good

10. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Sure you didn't want to start at $199,000.00? :)

11. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I'm wondering if Richard bought it, Stockton guy

12. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    I mean $199,900.99 :)

13. Quetzel

Quetzel Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Sugar Grove, Il
    Full Name:
    James Jenke
    A Richard. Not from Stockton.

14. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013
    you got fair market value. IMO

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats on the sale and wish you all the best mate.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What are you going to buy next, QV, 328, or something later?

17. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Very smart man!

18. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Richard rossington is who I was thinking

19. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    James, nice going. Can you post the description you used in the AutoTrader ad? It's often helpful to assess wording which stimulated the buyer. Which in your case was obviously efficacious. What pictures (& number) of photos used?

Thanks - this is not an idle request ... while I haven't fully committed to selling, pushing 80 makes it prudent. If nothing else I must raise my insurance's agreed value from $32k to $38k.

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Thanks for the real world information James.

21. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ..............but you kept the tool role, which you now can sell for $6k, right? :)

22. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    HAHAHAHA!

23. Quetzel

Quetzel Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Sugar Grove, Il
    Full Name:
    James Jenke
    I'll post the ad I used - if I can find it. May not have kept a paper copy.

Only bought an 8 picture ad. I figured - anyone who buys a Ferrari knows what they look like - the granularity is not that good anyway - and we could work "off line" to send massive amounts of info to each other if necessary.

I also used a "less is better" wording - though I pretty much used all of my space. In the ad I said - "impossible to describe the details of a 33 year old Ferrari in this short space allocated". So I suggested any serious buyer call me to discuss all kinds of details.

My buyer really did not ask for much - but I felt it was best to go into great detail by phone if necessary.

I did provide the "big pieces". I'll look for the paper copy tomorrow.

What am I getting into? Well, still have my Jag XK8; Benz 350SLK (folding roof) and my BMW X5 boring winter mobile.

Actually, looking to buy some American muscle. Been awhile since I sold my Smokey and the Bandit Pontiac Trans Am (all show and no go - too heavy and old).

Sold my Boxster when I bought the Ferrari two years ago. BEST DRIVING CAR...............I have ever driven. Holy smokes. Tight as a drum. Something about those German's.

Obviously can't compare a 33 year old 308 to a much newer Porsche. And certainly have not had the chance to drive newer Ferrari's. I'm sure they are breathtaking.

But......miss.........the big block noise.

And CHEAP...........CHEAP............CHEAP...........to fix if need be.

I must admit one consideration in selling the Ferrari was.....the anticipation of the $10k "clunk". You get older, you start thinking of silly **** like buying a retirement home on the beach. Stupid stuff like that.

So........a trash around American muscle car. Under $15k. Mint. But still a trash around. Then I'll just die at the wheel having owned almost ALL of the fun cars of the world at one time or another.

24. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Dammit, that was the car from my Magnum PI restaurant party. We were supposed to meet up for a reunion when I finally get mine back on the road:(

Alas...

25. Quetzel

Quetzel Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Sugar Grove, Il
    Full Name:
    James Jenke
    Can't find the old ad. Sorry.

It WAS the downtown Chicago, Magnum P.I. car.

Didn't come with a tool kit - sold without same.