2015 Indy Car | Page 36 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Already did on the hobby. Turns my stomach to watch what they have done to it. And the sad part is all they have to do is open up the rules again and allow older equipment back in. USAC/CART type rule book, Do that and I can see people coming with a Panoz or G-Force, etc to stick it in line wth whatever they want to build for power. Toss in a few "smokey" or "granatelli" ideas and guess what you have? Real racing. After that the manufacturers will find their way back to it.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they should come up with an homologation rule for the Panoz DP01. of course some bozo will want to put that awful rear bumper thing on it.

3. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #878 Turbopanzer, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    ne
    Agree. Same for any CART/IRL/USAC Indy Car. Most of the cars can be updated to be made safe. I think you will find a diverse feild of old and new will make people take notice again. Add in a sane engine formula along with the ability to select transmissions of your choice, building your own parts in house to contain cost, and other goodies and I think you will see the return of fans. Fans come...so do sponsors. It's that simple.

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Concur...the karting facility looked amazing also; but I didn't have time.

Rest of the post is hilarious. There have been moments that entertained this year in Indy, but overall it has not been great.

5. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Glad you got a laugh. It is unfortunate most of us have had over 20 years of poor racing and un-professional presentation.If you enjoy the show, please continue to do so. But I would think most here that have seen the very best of Indy Car racing and the Indy 500 realize that this a total embarassment. It is why for most of us this year's LeMans was such a joy to watch. Teams from all over competing on a world stage for the top prize. It had the world watching. Indy was once that way. Today.......it isn't even noteworthy. And that is a sad, sad shame.

6. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010

Please explain what you mean by this comment.

7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Poor Indycar, at least the fans couldn't complain of traffic leaving the race event. @_@

There were almost half as many vehicles in the parking lot for an arrive and drive go-kart race outside turn four as the Indy event itself.

They did at least, have some campers + infield parking.

I never had time to leave the kart track and see the Indy race, but it sure seemed quiet for sustained periods with no running at all. (Red flag?)

How does this work for car sponsorship? Is the value of the Indy 500 worth paying to be on a car the rest of the season?

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Over 6m viewers. Still seems hard to believe that would float the rest of the series with the cost of racing.

The Pittsburgh Steelers got almost 20m viewers for one regular season game last year on Thursday night...as a basis for comparison.

9. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Indy Car seems to be optimistic. What does a 0.37 Neilsen rating mean?

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not sure...it gets a little complicated I think. That means .37% of the TVs on at that time were watching I believe, not .37% of the total TV's in the US.

I was going by this article:

Indy 500 TV ratings up 5 percent from a year ago | Autoweek

"The rating and viewership peaked in the final half hour of the race at 4.7 and 7,330,809."

Nielsen info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  12. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    No kidding. I live in LA, and all I saw was ONE TV commercial and one road sign on the way to Fontana. Which BTW is far from LA, so hardly anybody in the second largest metropolitan area in the US was aware of the race.

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Fontucky! :)

14. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    That was all the Indy Car advertising budget would allow.

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Do we think this has anything to do with the fact that Fontana is an
    ISC track (the only track of theirs that they didn't kick Indy Car out of)
    and they simply don't raise a finger to promote such as they do with
    their own event like the 24 Hours of Daytona?

If Indy Car is paying a premium to run two events in the SoCal market,
    why would they trifle with their brand with a long established and traditional
    event at Long Beach (which appears to be well attended) versus Fontana,
    the ISC controlled track which barely makes a blip on the radar?

Isn't it up to the tracks to promote locally? This being the case, the
    promotional ball has been dropped by the ISC. And, as we know, they'll
    stop at nothing to make another series look bad.

BHW

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Also, about Fontana...

I was out in SoCal in holiday in late 96 and the track was nearing completion.
    I suggested to friends that we go out there to check it out, I could get some
    pictures for some of my publishing outlets.

The question raised eyebrows of my friends there and they explained that you
    don't dare venture out there due the amounts of roving gangs forcing cars to
    stop and people being held up at gun point.

At the time, it sounded like old west territory and everyone agreed, it wasn't a
    good idea to go there.

This was backed up later when the teams first started testing and racing at Fontana
    where they'd go to and from the track in truck caravans due to the security issues there.

Is this still the case? Seems incredible.

BHW

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've been to Fontana probably 6-8 times and never saw or heard of that level of violence or lawlessness. maybe you've confused Fontana with Tijuana? :)

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Good to know as in 96, it was a "no go" zone.

BHW

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If Indy Car wanted to start another war, all they'd have to do is kick NASCAR out
    of their Brickyard 400 event.

Just tell them that dwindling crowd sizes is the cause and how it's no longer worth
    the time or effort to keep putting the event on in light of these circumstances.

BHW

20. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I absolutely love Barton's idea! Stick it so far up they have laryngitis.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    problem is, the Brickyard 400 provides the cash flow that sustains IMS and the series.

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    This^^^^^^

One should consider where ones bread is buttered.

23. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010
    WRONG!!!

IMS does not depend on the Brickyard 400 "cash flow" because there is no cash flow from the brickyard 400 and no bread to be buttered as the attendance has dropped dramatically over the years. It's way too hot and this race is extremely boring because you're basically watching a single file train going around the track.

My Brother has premium seats and he can't give them away..nobody wants them.

So...ehhhh...try again!!

24. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    IMS makes money off the Brickyard 400 in TV rights and it is significant enough that it would be a big loss to them if they were to lose that race.

Gone are the days when filling the seats mattered in terms of making a profit. Sure everyone would like to see the seats filled and it certainly adds to the bottom line but it is nowhere as important as say in the 60s -80s before the huge TV broadcast contracts.

Despite the fact that the last NASCAR race which was at Sonoma had the highest spectator attendance in the last ten years for that race, many tracks are downsizing the seat capacity and upgrading their amenities.

Just because track attendance is down doesn't mean there are less fans. The broadcast companies wouldn't be paying out record amounts for broadcast rights if NASCAR was failing. The way people watch racing has changed and NASCAR is still making millions.

Here is how the TV money is split and as you can see IMS gets a nice chunk for every Brickyard 400. It is probably why they allowed NASCAR to race there in the first place, they needed the NASCAR money to pay their bills.

" NASCAR won’t change the formula for how it distributes television money from its current split among tracks, teams and the sanctioning body when its new television deal kicks in next year, a deal that likely will be worth nearly 4 percent more in 2015 than in 2014.

In a news release to announce the impact of the schedule changes and the new 10-year television deal that goes into effect next season, track operator International Speedway Corp. said the split will remain at 65 percent to the tracks, 25 percent to the teams through the purse and 10 percent to NASCAR. "