The time had not come. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The time had not come.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Great advice Hank. I will have to put more effort into active listening and keep this in the forefront of my mind. Thanks,

2. Wildcatfans

Wildcatfans Karting

Sep 4, 2001
    Baton Rouge
    Full Name:
    Donny Bridges
    Congratulations Dirk! When you get back to BR give me a call, looks like we have some catching up to do. You're right, your time is about to get thinner. Throw some belts on the mondial and put some miles on it while you can. I bet a baby seat would look great in that back seat too. Also, listen to Hank's advice, he's a wise man.

BTW, great garage. I wish I had that kind of space.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow, a much CONGRATS to you and your girl on the Baby.
    What a difference a year makes, I'm happy for you buddy!
    Now you can really enjoy what your Mondial was made for, carrying a baby seat in the rear along with your dog, a good woman in the passenger seat, and wind in the hair motoring! Can't do that with a 308 :)

C H E E R S

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #54 PV Dirk, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Now if I can find the time to make progress :D

It is not my top priority but I'll move forward on it when I have a day here and there.

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    PV, it's cool --------- you've got your priorities right. One step at a time. You'll pat the baby's back to hear a burp ........ and later, you'll turn the car's key to hear a roar !! :):)

Cheers,

Hank

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    PV, congratulations on the upcoming baby! Glad you seem happier that in the recent past. I used my Mondial as a family truckster on any number of Griswold occasions when I was married and my girls were in their 6 - 19 stages.
    Give me, also, a heads up before you go to BR next. I will bring my 3.2 coupe, we can get my dad's XKE roadster, grab the other BR F'Chatter & barnstorm the River Road!
    Could you post a pic of the most forward of the 2 crankshaft sensors for me, please? I cannot see how to change it out. It's not the 2 little nuts that are the problem; it's getting to it that seems impossible.
    Thanks & cheers!

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Sitting in an airport going the wrong direction. I'll try to remember when I come back through town.

Sadly BR doesn't happen much anymore. It may have been a couple years at this point. :(

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Flying home today. Have about 24 hours at the shop. GF suggested I spend more time on Ferrari before the baby comes :D. She knows as do I, once the baby comes the Mondial will not be a priority

Great news. It's a girl and all testing has come back showing healthy. We are both 44 years old so there was some concern. Due date December 22.

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Can you say, "Merry Christmas"?
    Congratulations. Daughters look great in the rear seats of a Mondial. Ask me how I know that!

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #61 PV Dirk, Aug 8, 2015
    David, I don't know that my pictures will be of any help because I have everything out of the way. The nuts might be reachable by a long skinny extension between the distributor and the other cam cap. It is certainly more buried. The rear most one is mounted on the surface, this one appears to be mounted slightly within the bell housing. Let me know if any other pictures or info will help. Or if this is too late and you already have it handled :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #62 PV Dirk, Aug 8, 2015
    I fully intended to button this thing up. Slap it together and get it running but the wrenches kept turning the wrong way for that. I had such a great day. I just felt the whole time that I was communing with Maranello.

Removed the plenum and then the intake runners. The nipple that runs the water to the expansion tank is getting dusty so I think I'll have that replaced. And then the cleaning took place. Yesterday I got 5 gallons of solvent to get my new solvent tank working. I ended up soaking a rag in the solvent and wiped everything down to get to this.

Tomorrow I'm pulling a valve cover. I don't know if I'll end up pulling the cams again or not. It appears my cam end seals are doing fine. I think I'll check valve adjustment and decide from there. I'd like to get valves set and start putting things back together. But then I don't know what kind of mess the valve cover gaskets will leave. I used sealant on both sides of the gaskets :O

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Not too late at all! Thanks for the pics!

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #64 PV Dirk, Aug 9, 2015
    Needed to get the injector bushings out today. Had my dad make a tool for me on his wood lathe. I found one of the injector bushings to be worn funny. The rest look ok. The O rings are quite baked though which is why I felt it was time to pull and look at these.

Also checked out all valve adjustments and found them to be perfect. Pulled cams to replace cam seals and cam seal housing O rings. I found that one of the O rings had been cut by the gasket. But it doesn't appear I had any leaks at the seal or O ring, just at the valve cover gasket where it squeezed out.

I called it a day when the cams hit the work bench. Tomorrow lots of cleaning, have gaskets stuck to the heads and valve covers.

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #65 PV Dirk, Aug 10, 2015
    Geert Jan is out of stock on the fuel injector bushings so I'm thankful mine are in decent shape. Today was mostly removing gasket material, cleaning everything up. It felt a bit silly to replace all the seals given that they went in 5 years ago, but they are in the kit so I removed them all, cleaned up their carriage units and started installing them. Tomorrow it may be time to start installing cams :D I don't think I'm missing anything.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #66 PV Dirk, Aug 11, 2015
    Had a minor oops moment where I was able to laugh at myself. Got the front bank put back together, cams in, cam gears installed, belts on, new tensioner, cam gears torqued, ready to go and..... oops. Forgot to install the dust shield. I put the other side together and then came back to redo the front. :D

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #67 PV Dirk, Aug 25, 2015
    Making equal steps forward and backward. Here I am torquing the cams down.

Received a shipment of parts and remembering all the additional parts I need. But it feels like it's going in the right direction. Looking forward to getting some of my parts back from getting worked before too long. The water crossover under the plenum has been sent out for a new nipple to get installed. Injectors sent to be cleaned, etc. And I need to repaint my plenum. Good times. Making progress. Feel so fortunate to get to work on this great car. I just got the most recent issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic. They did a nice write up on the 308. I looked at the engine bay and realize that I know that engine somewhat intimately now. What a great time :D

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #68 PV Dirk, Sep 9, 2015
    I ordered the gaskets for my coolant crossover but didn't realize there were rubber O rings in there as well. Bummer. Don't want to order 4 O rings from across the country. Does anyone know if there is anything special about these O rings or will any O ring that looks about right work? This used to be an O ring :D

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Looking good! Great thread!

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #70 MvT, Sep 10, 2015
    Great stuff Dirk! I love the room you have to wrench and still have space for a second engine out of any other car :D Floor looks lovely!

I have not noticed any o-rings on mine, but then I think it got dismantled before I got her. I only have the sealings. I guess the o-rings prevent the studs to corrode, but if you have good seals it will be kept to a minimum anyway. But I guess the water comes from above anyway when it rains :) The good coolant seals are usually blue or greenish. I cut my own :)

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Tijn,

I just haven't made the leap to making my own gaskets yet. Maybe some day. :)

I didn't realize I had o rings at first. Looked to be a part of the gasket. I went to Ricambi website and saw that indeed rubber o rings are sold separately.

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #72 PV Dirk, Sep 15, 2015
    This was an interesting project. I've noticed that there is also wrinkle paint on the outside of the plenum, but it is basically aluminum colored. I could see in the drip channel on either side after I removed the red paint. I'm glad I masked the rest of the plenum before I put the paint remover on. It's not perfect, but it looks a lot better. I also found that some of the letters curved at the edges a bit, maybe someone else had been here before? So in the final step I cleaned the surfaces even if it required working into the sloping edges. I'm happy.

23. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #73 PV Dirk, Sep 15, 2015
  24. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

+1

The plenum is looking like new !

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #75 PV Dirk, Sep 15, 2015
    Not good pictures. You can see the SRI crossover. I've had these hoses for 5 years. Last service I wasn't able to get this deep because the engine didn't come out. Maybe doable? I was able to easily pull the heat shield and get in here. One goes in on the left side behind where the fuel filler goes in. I rotated the computer out of the way, pulled out the filler tube and put a plastic bag over it to keep from adding contaminants, like hose clamps, to the fuel tank. Was this required? Doesn't matter at this point, it's done. :D More bonding time with the car. On picture 3 you can see the nipple with the hose along side it at the top of the tank. In picture 2 we can see that it appears someone rewrapped the coolant tube as this is the one place in the car with this type of tape.