Brake Booster Almost Out - HELP! | FerrariChat

Brake Booster Almost Out - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial 1985, Jul 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Hey guys, I've got the brake booster loose now. I've got all 4 nylon nuts off (the one inside the car is sort of a bear, but came off). Now, the booster is loose. One question (and the answer may be obvious) is that in order to pull the booster free of the car, looks like I have to remove a cotter pin and then knock a rod out that connects the brake booster linkage (from inside the booster) to the pedal rod? Looks like I do. Any suggestions to make it easier?
    Thanks

2. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Got it. Now where to send it?

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Try White Post restoration, they do great work: Brake Cylinder Solutions

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    You should change your name to "Mr Mondial"

5. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Whitepost did my brakes on my 1985 QV.
    They do good work.

Report your Experiance.
    Edwardo
    Thanks.

6. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Thanks guys. White Post it is.

7. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    If I may, I think I've found an easier way to remove the Brake Booster I'd like to share. After removing the master cylinder, I went under the dash using a 1/4" drive socket and ratchet. I loosened the nut, then went up top and removed the three remaining nuts. Now, I went back under the dash and began removing that last nut. As I was ratcheting it out, I had to have sweet thing pull on the booster because once the bolt is out at the end of its threads, you cannot remove the ratchet/socket; but as she pulled, it kept the bolt up against the fire wall, thus I was able to get the nut and socket off.
    Secondly, you have to remove a cotter pin and the funky thing about this one is: the rod is in with the pin away from you. Well, after messing with it a while, I was able to remove it. When I re-install it, I'll have the cotter pin facing out toward me for easier removal in the future. Finally, I took a drift and drove out the other shaft instead of trying top remove that cotter pin. That would've been impossible with it still in the car. FYI - You have to take the spare out. With a little finagling, I was able to pull the whole unit out. Now that it's out, I can remove the remaining lever assembly.