Barn find.... today | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Barn find.... today

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davehelms, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adrenalin Junkee

Adrenalin Junkee Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Zach
    posted to subscribe... i love this story! dave dont leave us!

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    oooo, a live steam tractor.

3. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Dave I feel your pain, Its a hard task to find qualified, hard working, ethical employees under the age of 35 it seems.

With that said, you need to hire a hard working, car enthusiast, with a family to support that would soak up all your knowledge like a sponge and prolong the art of repairing and maintain "mechanical" engines well into the future. I am ready to start :)

BTW does Jason still work with you? he never answered an inquiry I made a month or so back.

Regards
    Jason

4. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    Dave,

As time allows, please continue the saga!

Your compassion, willingness to help your fellow man and your terrific writing style have brought both laughter and tears to me and many others reading this thread. Please don't stop now!

Paul

5. Adrenalin Junkee

Adrenalin Junkee Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Zach
    +1!!

6. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Last time Dave logged in was June 28th :-(

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    He's busy doing Life.

8. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Any updates on Joe, or the 330? How is everyone out there doing Dave?

Perry

9. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Sending positive vibes to our head storyteller... I'm concerned that Dave's last posting was in June. :(

10. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    Dave,

Any chance things will slow up enough to allow you to continue the saga??? There really are a bunch of folks, including myself, that are desperately hoping for an update.

Thanks,

Paul

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    From the looks of his new shop he has more keeping him busy than ever.

12. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Awww. I was hoping Dave was checking in to tell us how his Thanksgiving went.

13. MikeCAP15

MikeCAP15 Rookie

Sep 25, 2015
    I stumbled across this thread a couple days ago and have been enthralled with the level of story telling. You're a very good writer as well as mechanic. I plan to go back and read the whole thing more carefully, but is it accurate to say that old Joe passed away around post #687?

I hope you keep this thread going, Dave, to let us know how Joe's car turns out, as well as updates on the festivities around the mailboxes. Thanks for all the posts. It's been a great story and a glimpse into the magic of how a community of strangers can come together as an extended family when times get perilous.

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    No, Mike- you're reading something into it that hasn't happened.

From Post #707:

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Dude; bad form.

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I wonder if he read the thread....

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I believe the ownership has already been transferred.

Once completed, Joe gets a ride.....not going anywhere just yet, AFAIK.....

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Probably not, or he would know what we all know!

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I called yesterday and Dave was working on something, so did not call him to the phone..

Happy Holidays to all!

20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Ol' Joe, what a life!

Joe spent the last few years in a lock up Alzheimer facility here in Boulder. By all accounts and logic that could have been justified many years earlier, but was finally made mandatory after a stroll through his retirement home... at 2 AM... in his Boxers only.

I felt quite fortunate that the retirement home and his following extended stay in the hospital when they were treating a nasty infection that almost cost him his left eye, didn't share with the new facility everything they knew, instead taking a "why should we tell them?" attitude. Joe held a record on that floor of Foot Hills Hospital, proposing to no less that a dozen female staff in his short stay there.

Joe had a very unique way of bringing folks together, read that as Kris and myself and the admin dept of everywhere he happened to live or was treating him at any given time! There were a great many debates with the Alzheimer ward staff regarding what constituted "consenting adults" and if a term like that could even be used in a facility where the doors were locked from the outside! 'Bird Dog' Joe, chasing the ladies, one in particular that had to wear a helmet for her own protection (he found that rather enticing), thus giving a great deal of hope to us old guys.

Jenni and Joe, Kris and myself, had the privilege of spending a good deal of time with Joe on Christmas morning this last year. Laughter was always the theme of the day when we all got together, that laughter raised to a gut splitting level when an old gal who was a resident there took a fancy to younger Joe.... a Very special fancy! Young Joe getting hustled by a mid 80's Ward resident, Old Joe making eyes at Kris and Jenni..... surreal and gut splitting hysterical.... a new meaning of "celebrating" Christmas.

Mesa Vista had long ago become frustrated with me regarding my lack of concern about them putting Joe on Hospice Care status... a year ago May. "Obviously you folks dont know Joe well yet, he isnt going anywhere soon, relax!" Sunday while down at our new building we purchased last February, the only time sucking black hole bigger than Joe himself, I got a call that time was short. "Joe is Non responsive but you really dont need to be here". "Oh no, Joe isnt going anywhere, he will only leave on his own terms and timing, nothing else, I am on my way".

As was standard procedure, this time I sat on the edge of Joe's bed and brought him up to current on everything that has happened in our lives since our last visit. Politics, our family, our business, daily happenings, everything... it is what Joe always wanted to know at each visit. If ever one wonders if Non responsive folks can actually hear and comprehend what is being said to them... I was able to predict the moment that Joe would open his eyes and stare straight into my own just based on the topic I spoke about and the news I shared at that moment. Able to hear and comprehend? Wipe that concern off the list, he was taking in everything I spoke about in my rambling manner.

Current events aside, I found it time to talk about a serious topic. I spent a good bit of my 3 1/2 hours with Joe on Sunday, comforting him that I had every intension to stand by my word regarding all of his final wishes. Back when Joe asked Kris and myself to be his legal guardians, he asked if I would make sure he was laid to rest with his folks in Humboldt Kansas. Thinking little of it at the time I promised I would see to it that his final wishes were carried through on.... his only response was a hard gut chuckle and a sincere Thank You. Only now do I understand the chuckle... Joe already knew what the transportation costs would be, he knew that my natural reaction would be "Road Trip", that canceled once I found out what would happen if I was caught.... dirty dog.... got me again!

There is SO much more to the story, one I have always felt compelled to share... for what reason I do not know. How was this man brought into our lives, how was the connection made with my own father, he himself who I recently lost, oddly timed where they served together on the same island in the South Pacific, at the same time back in WWII? Six degrees of separation.... make that closer to 2 degrees, if that!

Ol' "Bird Dog" Joe, he left this crew at 2:45 AM today, for yet another journey, sure to raise the bar in his new location.... obviously for him this life was nothing more than a practice session, God help those in the next! Seldom are we so privileged to have had the experience to share time with someone that affected our lives in so many different ways... some wonderful, some hair pulling frustrating... but all that will stay with this family for a lifetime! Thank You, Joe..... I think...

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    My condolences to you and your family. Congratulations to Joe for crossing the finish line; a life well lived!

Enjoy the road trip ;)

And thank you for sharing.

Warm regards,

Art S.

22. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I'm willing to bet Joe has left with few regrets and you, sir, are a man of few equals. I salute you and your family and just wish there were lots more like you in this world.

23. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    Good job Dave. Everyone needs someone to take care of them when life closes. Hope all is well!

24. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Both of you are lucky to have known the other, and we are fortunate to have had a little insight into not only your friendship, but the two of you as individuals. Thanks to you, and as a result of the words you’ve shared here, Joe touched many, many more lives than he probably would have ever expected back when he was living as a recluse on that mountain. And no doubt you and your family have been forever touched by having known him, probably in ways that have yet to become apparent. We should all be so fortunate as to have the kind of friendship you and Joe shared, and, especially, to have the kind of friend you were to Joe at the end.

Godspeed, Joe. And thanks to you, Dave, for sharing some of his story with us.

25. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Semper Fi, Joe.
    Thank you Dave.
    Blessings to you all.