First time doing Car Week - what to expect? | FerrariChat

First time doing Car Week - what to expect?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by BlackBird007, Jul 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey guys, as the title says, this is my first time doing Car Week. I've been looking at the featured lots from the auction houses (RM, Gooding, etc.), and pictures and video from years past. With Ferrari being one of the highlighted marques at this years Concours d'Elegance, and the FCA convention going on as well, should I expect to see some more vintage Ferrari models around town, and at the other events?

Also, I know it may be hard to tell at this point, but does anyone know of any particular cars that will be there at one (or more) of the events?

Thanks in advance!

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Be prepared for massive traffic jams...it can definitely hinder getting to multiple events per day. With the FCA Meet the following car week, I wouldn't be surprised if traffic will be worse than normal...if that's even possible.

3. hhibbett

hhibbett Karting

Aug 24, 2008
    I know that the web page for Concorso Italiano has a link to the cars that are attending the event. You can check out the list for vintage cars that will be in attendance. I believe that they are also honoring the 250 GTE this year. Not sure if the other events list the cars that are attending.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    If you have lodging, everything else will fall into place. Enjoy!

5. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I go every year...get up early and plan your day around traffic. Great times to be had. If anyone is interested in a drive one morning...give me a pm

6. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I have started taking the motorcycle to beat the traffic. I have also been booking my accommodations on airbnb because the random roach motels now charge $500 a night. You will be blown away, if this is your first time. If you want to start off the festivities right...get the vip ticket for the Gordon McCall Jet Center party on Wed. The cars, the jets, the trophy wife spotting are out of this world.

7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    New Bentley SUV maybe Pebble dream car lawn
    New Rolls Silver Dawn convertible, maybe Pebble Beach dream car lawn or private party
    New McLaren , maybe private party, maybe same PB dream car lawn
    Ferrari prototype by outside coachbuilder , Concorso
    Maserati, maybe Pebble Beach dream car lawn
    Alfa Giulietta or Giulia, maybe not expensive enough for PB dream car lawn
    Corvette mid-engine, long shot
    Bugatti Veyron replacement, PB dream car lawn or private party 500 ft. from the Lodge
    Cadillac sedan maybe Pebble Beach dream car lawn

by the way all the cars on the PB dream car lawn can be seen for free because you can get to that lawn before you pay your way into the concours though finding a parking place is exceedingly difficult.

8. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the replies guys. Thankfully we're staying at a place in Salinas we found on Airbnb. Couldn't get a cheaper place in Monterey/Carmel.

Basically, my hope is to see a 250 GTO and a LaFerrari or two. RM has the 288 and F1 covered. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #9 Brian A, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    LaFa and 288!?!?! On the roads, you will see so much that eventually it will take a zebra striped Enzo throwing 4 foot flames to turn your head.

My way of surviving the traffic is doing one major event per day. Old school is to hop from site to site, but that just doesn't work anymore. If you are on a motorcycle (the Jay Leno technique), things are very much easier.

Pebble Beach Concours (Sunday) uses a well organized shuttle bus system. Only the farthest Pebble Beach entrance is open and you drive until you reach the nearest open parking lot where you are then directed to park and jump on a shuttle bus. Nicely done. A must do event, at least once.

I LOVE the Motorsport Reunion at Laguna Seca, particularly Saturday. There is the noises, smells and action of important historic vehicles. Like Pebble, owners 'apply' to run their cars and a selection committee picks something different each year. The paddock is wide open; you can look under the hoods, see them with body panels off, talk to drivers and owners, etc. I love it; my favorite event that week.

My wife and I stay in a hotel in downtown Monterey and enjoy loitering outside the R&M auction. There are a few of the marque cars that will be auctioned in the hotel atrium on Friday. Saturday the hotel traffic circle is used to queue the cars before they enter the auction stage and it is fun watching and hearing them started and moved onto the stage. Likewise there are video monitors everywhere where you can watch the bidding going on inside.

Concorso Italiano is a great social event. Lots of Italian metal, green grass and Chianti. Good fun.

Legends of the Autobahn (Friday) is also a cool concours. The old German cars are under appreciated.

Strolling Ocean Avenue in Carmel is also good evening fun, although more and more of the cars parked are dealer cars.

I've never done events like Quail or the airplane thing. Just not enough noise and motion for me.

I gotta hook up with some of the rallys and tours some year.

My "week" for the last 10 years or so has centered around Laguna Seca on Saturday. In fact, because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, there have been years where all I have done is a Saturday day trip.

I always find the hotel situation humorous. Its worse than parking. One year, all I got was a bad fleabag on Munras. I woke up Saturday morning and discovered 8 or 10 spectacular 1930s Rolls Royces parked outside. We all just grab whatever we can get.

10. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My goal is to hit up the auction previews (Bonhams, RM, Gooding, maybe Mecum), Quail, Werks Reunion (all-Porsche), Concorso Italiano, Laguna Seca on Saturday, and of course Pebble Beach. We might make the Carmel Mission Classic on Wednesday - we're flying into Oakland and driving down, so it's a stretch.

We might camp out somewhere on 17 Mile Drive, for the Tour d'Elegance.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    rough list adapted from newspaper, not in chrono oder

MONTEREY CAR WEEK & CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE

August 10 - 16, 2015

The grand-daddy of them all is the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance is where the world's best collector cars meet and compete. Only the 200 best collector cars in the world are invited to roll out onto the legendary 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links, and only a handful of those will receive official recognition for style, technical merit and historical accuracy.

But the Concours is only last event in a jam-packed week celebrating the classic automobile! All over Monterey County, you'll see classic cars take some on golf courses,others in parks some racing at

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and some on the street.

AUTO SHOWS

Here's a rough list of the auto shows and rallies throughout Monterey County that week:.

Carmel Concours on the Avenue

Carmel's Concours on the Avenue will be held Tuesday, August 11 from 10am-5pm. Sixteen blocks of downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea will showcase over 175 domestic and foreign collector vehicles. These are short blocks but it's a lot of cars. It's a real thrill to see them arrive and leaving. Check on the date, I think it's Thursday, so don' t hold me to it

The Little Car Show

Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove lines up all sorts of tiny vehicles during Auto Week. The Little Car Show is Wednesday, August 12 from 12pm-5pm.

McCall's Motorworks Revival

On Wednesday, August 12 at 5pm the exclusive Motorworks Revival takes at the Monterey Jet Center from 5pm-10pm. There's lots of airplanes too. And appetizers and free wine tastings. But the event is not free. It's a good kick off for the whole week. The VIP event showcases some of the best in food, wine and, of course, automobiles.

Legends of the Autobahn

Legends of the Autobahn plays host to beautiful BMWs of all ages, as well as entrants from the Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi clubs who will share this event. The concours will be held on Friday, August 14 at the Nicklaus Club. Judging and displays are limited to members of the four respective clubs, but the public is welcome to walk the grounds and enjoy the beautiful array of German cars! The German car owners wanted their own thing and they got it.

Werks Reunion-A Porsche Gathering

The Porsche Club of America starts a new tradition in 2014 with the inaugural Werks Reunion. The premier Porsche event takes over Rancho Canada Golf Club on Friday, August 14 from 7am-4pm. The show will feature the latest Porsches, special vehicle presentations, celebrity guests, and a surprise or two. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche doesn't roll out something newsworthy.

The Whatsis, A Motorsports Gathering

Enjoy luxury cars and view the finest in automotive design at The Whastsis A Motorsports Gathering on Friday, August 14 from 10am to 4pm. Themes include Coachbuilt Ferraris, Supercars, Sports and Racing Motorcycles and more. I'd report on this but they won't give me a press pass so call me Grumpy.

Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally

On Friday, August 14, from 1pm to 5:30pm, Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove will have a show they call athe Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally. Over 200 cars will participate , which is free for spectators. At 6pm cars will cruise the streets of Pacific Grove; at 7pm, participants and spectators can enjoy a barbecue dinner at Chataqua Hall. Similar to the event in Carmel but more elbow room and less million dollar cars.

Concorso Italiano

The legendary Concorso Italiano, makes its home at Black Horse Golf Course. Celebrate all things Italian with displays of Italian fashion and art and great Italian food and music, as well as over 800 Italian cars. This year's event will be held Saturday, August 15 from 9am-5pm.

Concours d'Lemons

Craving Pintos, Pacers and Corvairs instead of Porsches, Ferraris and Rolls-Royces? For an auto show that is the reverse of everything the Concours d'Elegance holds dear, head to Concours d'LeMons on Saturday, August 15 at Laguna Grande Park in Seaside from 9:30am-1:30pm.

The Barnyard Ferrari Event

The Barynard in sprinkled with bright and sleek Ferraris on Saturday, August 15. From 4pm-7pm spectators can lust over dozens of Ferraris with great local wines, plenty of delicious food, and live music among the Barnyard's signature gardens. This is like a cocktail party where everybody there is a Ferrari fan.

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

The banal term "auto show" hardly befits the most elegant exhibition of classic automotives in the world. Only the finest 200 classic cars will be allowed onto the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach Golf Links during this event. The culmination of a week of classic automotives, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance will feature Ruxton, steam cars, Rolls-Royce Phantom IV and Phantom V, Tatra and Eastern European motorcycles. Opens to spectators at 10:30am on Sunday, August 16. Purchase tickets on the official Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance website.

I left off that event in Carmel Valley Friday because they wouldn't give me a press pass. Call me grumpy (and they sell out well before Car Week anyway)

DRIVING EVENTS

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

While seeing classic cars on a golf course may be a treat, watching them compete on one of the world's finest racetracks is a can't-miss experience. See historic cars in motion at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Watch the races on Thursday-Sunday, August 13-16 from 8:30am until 4:30pm every day. Tickets can be purchased at the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca website. Saturday around noon they have a honoring of the honored car, I think GT350 Shelby is one of the marques. The midway with stuff for sale is lots of fun, books, art, clothes. But dusty, your lady won't like it.

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance

Spectators on roads around Pebble Beach and Carmel-by-the-Sea will be transported back to the past as classic cars participating in the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance drive by on Thursday, August 13. The tour will depart Pebble Beach at 8am and follow 17-Mile Drive and Highway One to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and ending at Ocean Avenue in Carmel-by-the-Sea. The cars will be displayed from noon to 2pm on Ocean Avenue, and then will return to Pebble Beach. For some of these vehicles, successful completion of the Tour will be their key to a win in Sunday's Concours.

AUCTIONS

Visitors with deep pockets who want to do more than look at the cars can attend auctions throughout the week.

Mecum Muscle Cars and More

The Hyatt Regency Monterey hosts muscle cars, motorcycles and more during the Mecum Auction. The general public is invited to view items up for sale August 13-15.

Russo and Steele

"Sports and Muscle in Monterey" by Russo and Steele takes over the waterfront of Old Fisherman's Wharf August 14-15. Previews open on Thursday, August 13th and the auctions will be held August 14th and 15th.

Rick Cole Auction

New to Monterey Auto Week is the Rick Cole Auction at the Monterey Marriott in downtown Monterey. The general public is invited to view items up for sale August 13-15.

Bonhams & Butterfields Auction

One of the largest and oldest auctions take place at Quail Lodge Golf Club on August 13-14. Spectators can view and bid on rare automobiles, fine art and antique pieces.

RM Auctions' Sports & Classics of Monterey

Fine classic cars and unique sports cars, including a dedicated Ford-themed auction, will be auctioned at RM Auctions' Sport & Classics of Monterey at the Portola Hotel & Spa, August 14-15. In total, over 200 investment cars will be auctioned off. Preview passes are $40; a $300 bidder registration includes two preview passes, two auction passes and includes an auction catalog.

Pebble Beach Auctions Presented by Gooding & Company

The Pebble Beach Auction is one of the premier automotive auctions in the world and has set many world records. The auction itself takes place on August 15 and 16, but window-shoppers can admire the breathtaking displays of automotive magic beginning on August 12th.

ART AND ACCESSORIES

Seaside's Embassy Suites hosts Automobilia Monterey, an exhibition of original vintage posters, hood ornaments, signs, scale models, and much more, all connected to the history of the automobile on August 11 and 12 from 10am to 6pm. Almost everything there is for sale;and there will also be a silent auction. Admission is $15 or $20 for both days. Remember this is Tue and We.

Visitors to Pebble Beach can enjoy Pebble Beach RetroAuto, an exhibit showing not only automobiles from the past, but photos, tools, and other objects associated with automobiles of yore. The RetroAuto pavilion at The Inn at Spanish Bay is open from 10am to 5:30pm\. This is like Automobilia but in a quiet hotel within Pebble Beach. August 13-15.

12. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If we were to camp out on 17 Mile Drive for the rally, where would you guys recommend? I'd prefer something right on the water, for scenic pictures.

13. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    because then you can see the cars coming from a long way off and set up your shot.
    There are parking areas along 17-mile drive where tourists stop and watch the seals, etc.
    If you choose too tight an area, there is no safe place to pull over and you could cause a traffic jam. If you want really dramatic vistas on the day of the tour, recon Bixby bridge, the famous orange bridge you see North of Carmel on Hwy 1 (lot of TV commercials are shot there) but you can't just go there and set up if you haven't been there before, you'll have to go there first, determined where you are going to park and then go there the day of the tour. In Carmel itself, the day ofthe tour, it's so crowded you can't get an overall shot of the cars unless it's when they first enter the village. But it's the most fun part of the whole week to see all this incredible variety of cars coming down a city street, from Dino concept car to RR Phantom V landaulette. And it's free! (but parking is so limited that day you may park 10- short blocks away)

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You're confusing Carmel Concours on the Avenue with the Pebble Beach Tour. Carmel Concours is all day Tues 8/11. The Pebble Beach Tour takes over downtown Carmel on Thursday 8/13 from about 11am-2:30pm, but get there early as parking and places to stand fill up quickly before any cars start entering downtown.

Friday is `The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering'

15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    There are no bridges north of Carmel. I think you really meant South of Carmel...unless you were intentionally trying to divert people so it would be less crowded for you...;)

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    But at the bridge I think parking will be limited and of course you will only get one view. I would google
    Pebble Beach car week and try to see where the best shots were taken.

Re-run of Old Pebble Beach course announced on KPFK radio show

I heard over the radio on KPFK Art Gould /Dave Kunz show (maybe you can find it archived) that they are going to run some cars on the old Pebble Beach road course (where of course some famous driver was killed in a Ferrari so that's why they changed to a racecourse) which would be great to shoot except where are they going to park spectator's cars and (if they go fast) there is some danger of being hit. I don' t know what day that is, maybe Pebble will announce it on their website. As a photographer I will decry the fact that some drivers will wear modern helmets, isn't there a pudding bowl helmet that meets SNELL standards?

17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Answer to your `when' question...

"...on the morning of Friday, August 14, a closed portion of the old Pebble Beach Road Race course will be reopened and these racing greats will be invited to relive history. The closed portion of the course was last reopened in 1990 for a reunion of Allards. The Ferraris will gather at the old start/finish line at 10 a.m. for parade laps, and spectators are welcome."

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Somewhere on the Pebble Beach pages they say guest speakers will be at their Auto Retro. I am anxious to see Moray Callum and his bro but haven't got a day/time yet for their speech They are a brother team of designers working for different companies. If you have Pebble concours ticket, going to Auto Retro is free

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Talk about a non event, I went to almost every event last year and auto retro at Spanish bay was by far the most underwhelming exhibit.

It was worth a walk though when it was next to pebble but now that it is at Spanish Bay IMO not worth the time.

20. yanky

yanky Rookie

Sep 26, 2012
    When you say you can get in for free you mean the day before the concours correct?

21. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Plan for traffic if u leave at the event closing...We went to Quail last year and decided to cab it and avoid parking issue.. Big mistake.. It was a good 2 hour wait for cab and we finally hopped a courtesy vehicle from quail lodge..

22. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Carmel is already packed...my usual reliable parking spots were filled even for an early 5:15 dinner. The local news noted that there's been an unusually high influx of Chinese tourists on the Monterey Peninsula this year and this was evident when I went for a long walk around town after dinner. Great for local businesses, not so great for added traffic.

Another words, allow plenty of extra time for getting around this year during car Week.