Should I upgrade my shocks on my 456M | FerrariChat

Should I upgrade my shocks on my 456M

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Modificata, Jul 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I posted this question on another thread but didnt get a response. Probably buried in my other posts.

I have a 1999 456M going through a very major service and other items. In addition I am upgrading the Steering ECU to the 550/575 Fiorano Handling Pack spec (much better feel up to 55mph.

Given that my steering will now be upgraded to FHP, should I also update the damper spec to either standard 550/575 or go further to FHP spec? Currently I find the suspension too soft for my liking in sport mode and never drive in normal mode.

I will be sending my shocks to Delta Vee. Has anyone here done this to their 456M before?

Thanks in advance.

2. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I think the best person to answer that question is Rob at Delta Vee he is
    a member of Fchat.
    D.

3. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I had mine rebuilt to 550 specs. Ride is improved. FHP ECU for steering was great too

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If the rears have never been rebuilt, they will eventually fail. I didn't want my 456M to handle or steer like a 550, so I left the setup alone. A track day at Circuit of the Americas told me I made the right decision. Delta Vee is THE place to do it. Very cool and easy to do business with.

Cheers,

George

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    If I may wade in here, would it not be better just buy a 550 570?

6. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    #6 stardoc, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Not to jack this thread but but how do I know if my 550 shocks are failing? My daily driver is a Stage 2 Subaru STi so everything else drives soft to me.

7. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I added the Skunkworks steering ECU kit that basically changes the steering to Fiorano specs when you hit the sport button.

I sent my shocks over to Delta Vee and Rob rebuilt them about 10% more taught and sent my actuators out to replace the plastic to billet.

The 456M shock ECU has capabilities in the upper end of the 550 category as opposed to the standard 456GT; therefore, the jury was out on whether to change over the 550 shock
    ECU.

There are threads discussing these subjects in Great detail if you do a search.

If you change up to 19" wheels and a Good set of performance rubber- Pilot Supersports being the tire of choice nowadays- the result is pretty darn Awesome

My car 456M is manual transmission car. The stock shock ECU gives me comfort when I want it and performance when I ask for it, so I decided to keep it given the nature of the car. But keeping it in sport mode with the redone shocks and wheet/tire set-up along with the Fiorano steering makes for a Great set-up when you want to get athletic.

;)

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Having read some of the links on the "FHP Steering ECU" there is an interesting story
    AutoSpeed - Modifying Speed-Sensitive Power Steering
    Basically involves putting a variable potentiometer in the signal to the steering ecu. Interesting food for thought.

9. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've had delta Vee rebuild the rear shocks on my 456M. Definitely can recommend.

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thanks all for your advice on the suspension. Managed to speak to Rob yesterday and discussed with him. Decided to up to 550 standard spec as this will be more in line with what I am looking to achieve. Rob mentioned that he had done this for clients in the past and they were happy with the results.

We also discussed the possibility of changing the springs to take it one stage further but decided to fit the shocks first and see how I like it. I'm sure the handling will be transformed anyway.

Incidentally the cost of the change to 550 spec (using 456 shocks) is $50 extra per shock. Mention that just in case you wanted to do the same.

11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    What's your thoughts now the 456 shocks are fitted with 550 valving?

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #12 G. Pepper, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had mine upgraded to 575 FHP spec, and I love it. A bit more firm, but not harsh at all, and the lean angles are lessened. I had it on COTA before the work, and the 456 really does lean too much. Here's an example.

Cheers,

George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Delta Vee did mine on my 456M GT and made them more taught as well. I also did the Skunkworks version of the FHP steering which switches to FHP steering when you hit the sport button

Add 19" wheels from 575 or your choice

Recipe for 4 place car that drives & handles Great!!

14. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Do you know Rob's handle here?

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
  16. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
  17. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Thanks for the info. Sent him a note. We are about 13 weeks in at moment for front shocks. Rob did the rear shocks on mine last year and totally agree he's the only way to go. Just eager for their return!

18. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thank you Rob for the great work!! Really appreciate the quick return once you got to them :)

[​IMG]

19. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Shocks reinstalled - they are amazing - what an incredible difference! Thank you Rob and Delta Vee!

Also had the engine bay, undercarriage, Wheels and the wells detailed and conditioned while it was in - never had it done properly before.

Now properly clean, these are just gorgeous pieces of engineering - so many details you miss.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]