BARN FIND 1959 250 COUPE LOST FOR 30 YEARS! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

BARN FIND 1959 250 COUPE LOST FOR 30 YEARS!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by geno berns, Jul 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #51 geno berns, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Great work. What a beautiful car!

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Wow that just makes my jaw drop, good job Geno and congrats.
    Your smile in that picture will never go away ;)

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Thank you. That's not me in the pic...

5. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Combo color, looks much more better now. Congrats.

6. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Stunning, congratulations!

7. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Wonderful, looks beautiful. Good Luck with her!
    Jack

8. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Looks gorgeous. Congratulations. What are the colors and are they original?

Regards, Ben

9. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Thank you. The car was originally white over blue. Now: Casa Blu Genziana over tan...

10. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So when do we get a look locally my friend? Expecting a call to come over and view it. Monterey this year?

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Rick you're always welcome. Yes to Monterey.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    White over blue...??? Fantastic! Would have been much more "molto speciale" than this -also very nice looking- color combo.

Ciao!
    Walter

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Congrats Geno, great story line.

14. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Thank you Rob

15. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Gentlemen,
    Does this engine have a single plate Fichtel and Sachs clutch and flywheel arrangement or is it multi-plate?
    Thank You

16. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    It would have single plate F&S

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Why, if I may ask?

I think the outcome is stunning. Congrats Geno!

Regards, Alberto

18. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I can not answer on behalf of Walter, but personally I have developed a taste for conservation, as I think anything can only be original once. And once something has been "restored" it can be restored again, and again, and you will always loose something, some part of the cars history. Now I do not say that every ding and scratch would always be worth conserving and keeping, but factory original finishes and materials are becoming extinct. Much faster than we think. Regardless of vintage and make. Even more so with the more usual classic cars, as they are not always worth the effort to get them exactly right.

Regarding original colours I have become even more conservative and really allergic towards the "paint it any colour you like" mentality. I could write an essey, if not already a novel on the subject, but I am unsure anyone would care to read it and thus I'll keep it short:

It is highly interesting to see what the cars were like, and which colours the original owners and the factory chose at the time these cars were new and how they were presented.

I don't think it will be very interesting to see what most of us consider "desireable" for a certain model at this age say after a couple of decades.

In an effort to cut this short, I can only add that although only 38 out of ca. 18.000 3.8L Series 1 E-types were BRG when they left the factory, in a few years more than 50% of them will be. I am sorry I do not have the statistics for any classic Ferraris (yet) but I suspect that if we leave out the one-offs and other very unique cars with history that has made them important enough to keep their original colour specification, in a few years we will only have bright red and dark blue classic Ferraris, with a few yellow ones to add some variation.

Now I hope I wasn't writing this too complicated nor that I would have anything against what other people think, I'm just trying to explain why I think it is important to preserve and/or restore cars also with the same colours and materials they were originally made.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

Ps. To add a few terms, if you have a Rembrandt painting restored, surely you would not be the judge to change the hues and tones in the painting, would you? ;) Maybe it should then be called "repainted". Conservation is a good word, but in my book restore should also stand for returning to how it was when new. No opinions involved, just facts.

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Pekka, you are absolutely right, cars have a heritage to maintain, but then, this is not a Rembrandt, is it?

So, I keep insisting, bordering on being monotonous and repetitious, if it is your car,
    you do what you want with it, and in this particular instance, the car in question was finished in a period and tasteful manner. Wrong?

Innes Ireland's GTO, did it come out of the factory in green?

Clearly, there are cars, that would be sacrilegious to change the original colour, and yet even that has been done :)

In the height of the market craze, all sorts of Ferrari were painted 'resale red', yet no one
    complained (but then, we did not have the Web). As far as XKE's in BRG, well...

Regards, Alberto

PS. I do not wish to start a discussion on this topic, for it will never end.
    It would be way more practical to start a new thread on the subject,
    and respectfully, not take away from Geno's wonderful history.

20. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi Alberto,

Yes, agree on most points, and did not want to stir or hijack this thread, but could not help also noticing the rather striking and rare original colour combination. And I felt I should comment as I wasn't the only one who thought this difficult subject was worth a few words.

In my book these are Rembrandts, masterpices from another era. ;)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

21. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Wow... What a beauty... I am speechless.

22. Ron B

Ron B Rookie

Jul 18, 2015
    The new colour scheme is very much in the Period of the car . A really attractive colour combo on any car I think.
    With the aid of P/Shop has anyone ever wondered what a white over blue 250 looks like? :)

23. 250PF

250PF Rookie

Oct 16, 2010
    A Bosch VW generator can be made to work. You won't find an original inside plug generator anywhere.

Looks to be reasonably intact. There are bit of these cars out there because so many were parted out

I have a few bit and pieces left over, probably not what you need though.

24. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #74 babci, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    "You won't find an original inside plug generator anywhere."

Originals are around. Just depends on the price. Last one I saw 6 months ago went down at 14K+

GTO Engineering provides a nice looking replica that looks very close. Check'm out they are in the neighborhood for the week exhibiting at the following the venues.

Pebble Beach – RetroAuto: Thursday 13th - Sunday 16th August. Will be in the Grand Ballroom

Concorso Italiano: Saturday 15th August

Ferrari Owners Club of America - Monterey: Sunday 16th - Wednesday 19th August. Will be within Hyatt Regency Grand Ballroom (stand numbers 209 & 308)

Rolex Reunion Leguna Seca: Friday 14th - Sunday 16th August. Will be at number 5 in the Market Place

25. 250PF

250PF Rookie

Oct 16, 2010
    14K for a generator??? Good lord, it must be made of solid gold! Or "unobtainium". Yes, everything has a price....

If the generator is worth $14K how about my nice original blue M Riganti jack? $10,000 offers will be accepted!